"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

I'll just leave this here, a very good appraisal of the new set of songs from a very enthusiastic long time promoter of the Residents.

Got me excited, it's the Residents so the link may not be entirely work safe, and there are other Residents articles available on the site as well, theres a precis of most of the recent reissues.

There are links to other outsider art that's less than wholesome family friendly content so ,if you do click around, it helps to be broad minded.

Dyin’ Dogs, Metal, Meat And Bone – The Residents Are Not Done Yet

2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Seems unlikely. Hardy did remix 'Crash' on the 2017 cd edition of Blaine L. Reininger's album 'Night Air'. And IIRC he also remixed Tuxedomoon's 'What Use?'.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd like to hear that!

4. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing! I had never stumbled across that site before, but the Residents reviews are really well-written and insightful. I checked out their manifesto as well - it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it addresses some relevant topics in the world today.

I'm now going to go on a short tangent. Keep in mind that since I'm not a Resident, I can't actually speak for the band per se, and ultimately I'm just speculating, but I do feel that having listened to all of their main works at least once, I more or less understand what the group is trying to do.

So, there are some Residents tracks that I appreciate purely in terms of structure/sound design/experimentation, but due to their lyrical content, I don't feel comfortable sharing them with others. The main examples that come to mind are "Walter Westinghouse" and "The Angry Angakok" (and maybe even all of Eskimo). With "Walter Westinghouse" they were basically following the Theory of Phonetic Organization to a tee, choosing words based not so much on their meaning, but based on how well they fit the poetic meter and alliteration, while with "The Angry Angakok", they were depicting an intentionally distorted/cartoonish representation of a foreign culture that chanted English words without really understanding what they were saying. By creating music in this process, some offensive words made it through into the lyrics. The way I see it, though, the Residents weren't trying to deliberately offend, but wanted to choose words that all Americans would be familiar with. One of the Residents' slogans has been "ignorance of your culture is not considered cool", and I think the Residents keep this in mind when they make music that doesn't pull any punches.

Maybe I'm just defending the Residents because I love their unique sound so much, but I'd really be sad if the Residents' work ends up going through censorship/cancellation because people take issue with some of their content.

Something about the Residents' music seems just perfect for the science fiction/horror B-movie genre (especially the tones on Mark of the Mole and The Commercial Album). I'm surprised that among all the soundtrack work they've done, they never scored any B-movies.

Shortly after Hardy Fox's passing, I heard a clip from Penn Gillette mentioning how Fox didn't care about how other people made music, and how he preferred making music his own way. It makes sense - Fox (and the rest of the group) had already explored many disparate styles and eras of music, so it didn't really detract from their sound if they paid less attention to styles of music that became more popular in recent years (things like dubstep, trap, synthwave, etc.)

Helmuth and bzfgt like this.
  5. vince

Like Negativland, I think the eye-boys are just so unpopular that they will never have to go through THAT!
    Sadly, the MUTE re-issue of "3rd RNR" had a lovely essay about just such a 'problem' that didn't make it to the Cherry Red re-issue.

6. vince

In other news, I see Goatie is going through all the "CD-ROM" versions of the "Freak Show" music...
    I hope he gets to all the 'phone-messages' on Herman's phone.
    From "Eddie, the Buy-Or-Die guy" to the 'phone-sex' lady.....they were hilarious!

7. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

It's really been increasing my appetite for Freak Show pREServed, I really wonder how they're gonna tackle the CD-ROM era albums.

homeslice and vince like this.
  8. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Freak show really drew me back in when it came out....

Scope J likes this.
  9. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

My favourite from Moravian Meeting is the first track. I don't understand why it is called "Shorty's Lament" though? It is clearly "The Moles Are Coming". :confused:

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I was interested in the Freak Show CDROM. It was the start, along with Laurie Anderson's Puppet Motel, of a (short-lived) art-CDROM movement. I still have both somewhere.

11. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

I'd love to have a game playthrough for Freak Show, Bad Day In The Midway and Gingerbread Man included in the pREServed versions of each. Or at least on youtube - though who knows how long that would be around. I'd prefer a DVD. I do have an old laptop and all three CDROMs - not sure if it's old enough to play the game though. It's been forever since I played any of them. Sad to have the work lost... possibly.

12. vince

Apparently, the story is all three would have to be re-worked, in oared to be seen on modern computers....
    Homer did say that once, a Canadian animation team was interested in making "Bad Day.." a movie.
    But, it never happened.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Last time I played one it worked. Only on a Windows machine though. It’s a miracle that Windows has kept the ability to run old exe’s. But whether they run on the most recent versions of Windows (8 and onwards) , I don’t know.

One problem is that the graphics are only 640x480, so they’re going to look pretty low res on modern screens.

14. vince

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Still have Freak Show CD Rom may have to try it again one day

16. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

I think it helps that the Residents have a niche following, many of whom are into listening/collecting as much Residents material out there as possible, so even if something happens to future re-releases, the originals will be meticulously archived.

--

As for Freak Show, I happened to be re-listening to it over the past weekend and noticed that Herman the Human Mole is also an albino, meaning that Alvin Snow is not the first time albinos have made an appearance in Residents lore.

I like the DANCE! DANCE! DANCE! idea. Maybe TikTok could be considered as well as YouTube? I myself don't use TikTok, but it could be a cool idea to expose the Residents to Generation Z (or some millennials on the younger side).

I also hope that the Residents do some sort of pun/acknowledgement of Demons Dance Alone by saying something like those who dance alone are demons, but because all the submitters are dancing with the Residents, they are not demons! Or something like that, but phrased better.

17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Freak Show and River Of Crime were my introductions to the Residents when I came across them in a used shop. I fell in love with them.

Scope J likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

A mix up surely. I mean Fred Frith and Chris Cutler knew the Residents, but that 'Killing Time' album is a trio with all the music written between them.

Mr. H likes this.
  19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

There’s no credit for Hardy on Massacre’s Killing Time.

20. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

new single "Bury My Bone"

mBen989, whatprogress and vince like this.
  21. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Now here...

I like! kinda reminds me of a combo of King Kong nd Viva Las Vegas, both good things.

whatprogress and vince like this.
  22. vince

Here's one of the 'die!die!die! dance contest' contributors.....
    real 'creepy-sexy', hmmm?

23. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

That's pretty awesome! It's completely original but also has that particular Residential feel. The mask itself looks like something that Homer himself would have designed/commissioned.

vince likes this.
  24. vince

Apparently, there will be a 'premiere video' for "Bury My Bone" tomorrow!
    Directed by John Sanborn.

25. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

The one thing about the two versions of Bury my Bone I found remarkable, is that the Alvin Snow where Homer adopts the persona sounds absolutely gruff, unhinged and unsettling like the 'classic' sounding uncomfortable ranting he adopts on the Elvis covers and their like.

But his vocal on The Residents version is restrained and more conservative, the backing is obviously cleaner and the production more streamlined befitting the conceit of the concept. I liked the Alvin Snow version better personally.