The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

So, I learned my SL-1210GAE has shipped! :goodie:

I was prepared to trade-in my SL-1200G to the dealer, but another member convinced me to list it in the FS hardware section first if any SHF members are interested.

punkmusick, DPM, Twinsfan007 and 7 others like this.
  2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Well I recieved the ground wire, replaced the stock one and no difference what so ever. I am really scratching my head at this point!
    I wondered if the extention wasn't grounded so tried it in another, same difference. It is very odd that touching the grounding screw helps but moving the wire/disconnecting/reconnecting it has no audible effect at all...
    I count myself lucky that it is the sort of noise you'd need a sub cranked to hear, not a buzzing noise literally just a bit of extra mains hum, so while I'm really unsure about why I'm experiencing the lessening of noise when I touch the screw it isn't getting in the way of me enjoying this superb turntable!

patient_ot likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Are you in the US?
    Because if touching the grounding screw helps, maybe connecting the grounding screw to ground could be a solution.
    Except in the US, because ground is connected to neutral there.

4. Robert Godridge

No I'm in England. That's a good idea but could be tricky in this house where the sockets are in stupid places that are hard to get to, rather like the ground screw on this deck is lol but that's why the extentins. I will try and do that though!

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Two days ago my 1200GR arrived. Right now i'm using an Ortofon OM 30 at 1.5g VTF. I also set the AS to 1.5. Today I noticed that on some records, when I drop the stylus on the "run-in" groove the stylus moves really fast to the beggining of the music.
    Then I checked the AS with a 45rpm B side blank record I have and the tonearm was moving really fast to the center. I started increasing the AS until the tonearm barely moves on the blank record, approx 2.6g.
    Finally I checked if the tonearm was sitting level and I noticed that is not, but I don't know if it's too much and if this could be the issue about the AS.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Should I try raising/lowering the feet?

Thanks!

6. Do bears do unmentionable things in the woods?
    It needs to be level, so adjust the feet.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Also, what do you use to verify VTF?
    And by tonearm, do you mean platter?
    Yes, level the table.

8. TexSax

TexSax Forum Resident

I had the exact same thing going on with my 11200M3D. I checked the platter with a T-shaped bubble level (without the mat) and discovered that it was not totally level, but pretty close. I adjusted the feet until the bubbles were dead center throughout a rotation of the platter. Problem solved.

patient_ot and Upstateaudio like this.
  9. Oelewapper

Yes you need to level that out and check if both the platter and plinth/top plate/faceplate are level.
    They should be parallel to each other, unless there's a manufacturing issue - worth checking within the return period, just in case.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  10. Robert

I had a listen again to the test recording you posted, and played it at extremely high volume on my big rig.
    I hear the noise, and I think know what it is.

I want a full list of the gear you're using before I spill the beans - you can omit the turntable as that's a given.
    I want to know what you're using to record, and the interface used.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Robert Godridge

alright, so to make that recording I unplugged everything other than the turntable. I used an IVinyl usb preamp with the turntable plugged directly into it and grounded to it as it has a grounding screw. Nothing else was plugged in hear by. I use audacity with asio4all on windows 7.

However, the 50hz mains noise (not the high pitched soundcard noise) is present with 3 different preamps and each of those has it's own grounding post. On all 3 preamps it makes a big difference if I touch the ground screw.

What do you think it is/what do you think might help?
    and is this amount of noise normal with ripping vinyl?

12. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

I don't have a scale so I set the VTF by eye.

Ok, so I adjusted the feet and now the platter is level (I didn't check the plinth because I don't have a small bubble level) and I still have the same problem.

So if I set the AS the same as the VTF, in some records (I tested new 180g and some 140g approx from the 80s) the stylus skips the lead in groove.

I tested the AS using a blank record and on the deadwax of a 12" single and using the 1.5 AS and 1.5 VTF the tonearm moves to the center very fast. If I increase the AS to 2.5 the tonearm moves slowly to the center, but sometimes it also skips when doing so.

This week I will receive a Concorde R that I will use with my 30 stylus and I will check if it happens with this cart...

13. Oelewapper

I also have the skipping on the lead in groove from time to time, depending on the place where the tip hits the record; I think it’s quite normal.
    Especially for vinyl with groove guard.

Big Blue and aphexacid like this.
  14. The 50Hz noise is really low down in the recording - I've had to amplify things to ridiculous levels to detect it.
    It is part of what is being transferred over the ground plane between the computer and the preamp and back again.
    A low order high pass filter with a knee around 100Hz would likely see it off (ie post production mastering).
    You might also be able to ground the electrical noise away. It's not a turntable issue. It's noise from the capturing computer.
    The turntable grounding is not the issue.

And I cannot stress this bit enough - the overall electrical noise levels are extremely low.
    I would not be too concerned about them.

I thought you were transcribing 78s - they're generally not vinyl.
    They're usually shellac (ie crushed beetles)

recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  15. Robert Godridge

I'm transcribing both vinyl and 78s. 78s are my main hobby but I have loads of very rare private and obscure solo piano and other classical rarities to do too!

It is reassuring to hear that this is a fairly low level of noise and is fairly acceptable. That's an interesting idea about a high pass filter. I am seriously conciddering a new computer/soundcard/usb preamp, but the capturing computer noise is reasonably quiet once a needle hits the groove. That noise file was made with a shure v15 cartridge on the arm which is fairly loud.
    Thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

16. Oelewapper

So there’s no noise when listening directly on your speakers/headphones without the capturing equipment connected?

17. You're welcome.

I have tried all sorts of USB PC audio interfaces, and ultimately don't bother with any of them.
    I use a digital field recorder, hanging off the back of a phono stage.
    There is a simple electrical filter to attenuate the signal (to not overload the inputs), and that's it.

The recorded files are transferred to computer for editing, but this in itself does not add to the noise, as the recording was on a battery powered device.

Funnily enough, I'm very tolerant of mechanical playback noise from a turntable, but less tolerant of electrical crap intrusion.
    I really do not get on with pitch instability, which is how I ended up with a Technics SL-1210 Mk II.
    If I had the cash I'd get a SL-1200G without hesitation.

If you need any help, give me a shout after the current lockdown situation is eased. You're not all that far away from where I am.

Oelewapper and patient_ot like this.
  18. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

We discussed this when the 1500C came out. We predicted it was a lost opportunity, and it seems it was.

19. Slick Willie

I would get a digital scale to verify VTF.
    Floating the arm and using the numbers on the weight leaves too much opportunity for error.

20. Robert Godridge

I would love a good 24bit recorder. I have an old 16bit one but being totally blind am having trouble finding a 24 bit recorder that has buttons and very few menues.
    Yeah you're in lancs I'm in Pontefract, it could be good to have a chat after lockdown!

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I can float the arm and use the dial on the counterweight and get it almost exactly what my digital scale reads. Takes a couple times to get the hang of doing it that way, but now I rarely use the scale anymore.

ubiknik, punkmusick, Randoms and 2 others like this.
  22. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Especially as you would probably fine tune the tracking weight by ear whichever way you nominally set it - there is a degree of variation in the same model of cartridge. The obvious starting point, which can occasionally be forgotten, is to set the turntable perfectly level in both planes before setting the arm floating with zero weight.

snorker likes this.
  23. Slick Willie

Not saying it can't be done, but it's a nice tool for verification and peace of mind.
    Not everyone may have your talents.

snorker likes this.
  24. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

Yes, I just tested and if I drop the stylus in the lead-in groove but closer to the "music" it doesn't happen.
    One more question, should I set the AS to the same number as the VTF? If I have the same number on both the AS and VTF, when I drop the stylus on a blank record or on the deadwax the arm moves fast to the center, but I keep reading that this method is not accurate...
    Thanks.

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Have you tried grounding the tt to a different unit, say amplifier, while keeping the rest of the connections to you soundcard etc?