Just ordered two LPs from Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Joel S, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both were due to arrive today. One arrived in a simple plastic bag — no box, no protection, nothing. The other didn't arrive at all. Delivery was cancelled due to it being "undeliverable," which I suppose means they crushed it. Probably was shipped in the same flimsy bag.

I try not to order records from Amazon, but now I'm going to avoid it at all costs. If they can't ship my records with adequate protection, I'll buy from merchants who can, and I recommend others do the same.

That's Mr. Foghat and Scott57 like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was a loyal Acoustic Sounds customer for over 10 years when I used to play records. Excellent packing, 3 days to me via FedEx, and I always had excellent customer service.

DK Pete, ihog and Stereo68 like this.
  3. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Sounds to me like the Post Office destroyed the box and one of the albums and put the surviving Lp in a bag.
    I hate when vinyl dies. It's always a sad day.

uzn007 and hutlock like this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed, I’ve had a package from a seller here arrive like that. USPS totally destroyed a Mudhoney album and they chucked it in a clear bag, slapped their “SORRY!” sticker on it, and left it for me. Lame. ​

The Elephant Man likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Couldn’t be Amazon...my lps always have come in impenetrable layers of cardboard.

6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you're right. I just checked the shipping label and it's dated today.

hutlock likes this.
  7. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Amazon's packaging in the UK is always beyond reproach. But then, we have higher standards across the board over here.

cporcp, Exotiki, sound chaser and 2 others like this.
  8. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

In the UK. All my Amazon vinyl comes in two boxes and about a foot thick of bubble wrap inbetween...maybe a bit overkill.

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Pretty much the same with Amazon Germany.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've ordered many LPs from Amazon and they always arrive well-packaged. I know that stories like you describe happen from time to time but it is not the normal experience of ordering from Amazon.

You can also easily request a replacement for the LP that didn't arrive and the one that did, if it was damaged.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I had two separate issues with amazon shipping single LP’s this week.

The first record was wrapped in bubble wrap only. No outer packaging, just once around with bubble wrap. The shipping label fixed right onto the bubble wrap. Miraculously no damage to the jacket or record. What made it even crazier is our normal postal carrier is on vacation and his substitute left it leaning against my mail box post, right next to the road.

The second record, a Sam Rivers record was crammed in to an undersized amazon box. (Maybe a 10”x10”) . I could not believe it, someone really had to try hard to cram it in there. All four corners creased in 2”-3” to fit into the box. I couldn’t help but laugh.

I must say this is my first return to Amazon and it’s really easy. You just bring the item to the UPS store, they scan the code on your phone and you are done. They do all the packing etc.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    hutlock likes this.
  12. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Please tell us about your exciting adventures with Amazon's customer service.
    I can 't hardly wait.

13. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I recently took advantage of Amazon's 3 for the price of 2 sale. I did two separate orders and ordered 6 LPs. I also had ordered two other LPs around the same time that I got good prices on. That's a total of 8.

Out of those 8, I had to get three returned for damage and one never showed up and got lost. One of the damaged was in a bent up thin cardboard mailer. One was in a box that showed up crunched up like an accordion. Another one had a massive chemical spill all over it that ultimately leaked onto the record, which was bent up inside anyway.

The three replacements for damage all arrived with no problems on their second run. But out of 8 LPs total, only ONE was in the mailer inside of the box. All the rest were just thrown in the box, sometimes with those air pillows and sometimes not. One of the shipments had 4 lps loose in the box. Amazingly none were damaged.

That's a 50% success rate. They shipped them better when we were under the pandemic quarantine. The few things I ordered then showed up perfect and boxed quite durably.

The problem is.. their prices are sometimes so good, their available titles are pretty wide and their return policy mostly problem free. With the amount of vinyl I buy, I simply can't afford to go with other places that may ship better. I can't afford paying in some cases $7-10 more. That adds up over time.

And.. I've had my problems with Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and even Sundazed. Music Direct often won't even package the items the way they describe in that video on their website that describes how they package your items. I had a lovely fight with them about that one time.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I order LPs from Amazon all the time - no problems at all.

dasacco, DK Pete and Lemon Curry like this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Something touched me deep inside the day the vinyl died...

16. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Although not as well packed as the blissful security that the UK basks in...most of my Amazon packages are always double boxed.
    Only once did an album come in just a regular box. It managed to survive the trip.

17. djost

djost Hyperactive!

I've bought around a dozen vinyl records from Amazon. In all cases I had them delivered to an "Amazon Hub Locker", which is a near by Whole Foods. This way if anything is damaged I can return it on the spot. So far, I have not received an album damaged, but the the shipping/packaging has ranged from very good to placing a single record in a 5" high box with the record free to move all around. Most of the time I order from Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct. But, if the Amazon price is cheap enough, and free delivery, and I can get next day delivery, I just might roll the dice.

18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

As do I. And they put up with my vinyl returns, which I estimate is at least 25% of all vinyl purchases.
    They ship vinyl in a box that appears to have been specifically designed for it.
    I've got plenty of gripes about Amazon but they haven't messed up with me (yet) with vinyl, but rather have been a great partner.

19. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I think plenty of the problems have to do with your delivery service as well as your regional Amazon distribution center. Many of you who aren't experiencing damage could mark it down to how much care your distribution center or your delivery service takes with the packing and handling.

When things are delivered via Amazon, I have less damage than UPS or the Postal Service. Less, not none. And.. before they switched my distribution center to Mobile, AL things usually showed up in better condition. Faster and closer doesn't always equate better.

20. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

I order stupid amounts from Amazon.

There is virtually always a great protective cardboard 'sleeves'. And as often as not everything is then put in another box.

About a month ago I got one in a grey plastic bag which was naturally damaged. It was at the Post Office for return about an hour later.

Now that I think about it there was no Amazon branding on the bag so the suggestion above about it being reparceled in transit sounds right.

21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed - I just sent back an album with a really bad warp - and received the replacement soon after - no Warp. Always easy to deal with.

22. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

Same here and proper winds me up!

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Same here...and the one time I did have a problem, they were extremely courteous and cooperative.

rebellovw likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Used to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.