Subwoofer suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

For now, I'm compiling info on which models fill my criteria so I can research them and pair down the list of final candidates. Strictly used for 2.1 sound.

• Remote control is a must
    • High-Level input
    • Sealed (not ported) enclosure
    • 10" or 12" driver but no bigger
    • Musical ; not interested in bombastic HT or dance music
    • Budget : 1K, used or new

Any suggestions?

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

to pair with your harbeths?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Yes, sir!

4. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Get out there and check the dealers bud!Toronto has to have the most hi end audio shops in the country:)

5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

SVS SB-3000 control via smart phone app $999

jhm, jboersma and mds like this.
  6. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I agree with madness, you can't go wrong with an SVS..

7. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Here you go, no need to look further, with the Steinway gloss black finish!

SB-2000 Pro

mds and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

The problem I have is the app won't be supported forever. If I were to keep this sub for 10-15 years, there's no way I'd have access to an app for remote control on a Samsung Galaxy S42 phone.

I'll keep it in mind but would like a dedicated remote unless it's possible to use a Harmony universal remote with it... which I doubt. :(

Even for music?

9. Strat-Mangler

I work 2 jobs, have a 1-year old son, and an elderly dog with medical needs. I don't have time to mosey nonchalantly into random dealers.

That's why I need specific models, especially since my criteria are so specific. Not like there are 20 models to choose from.

Clucking likes this.
  10. Litejazz53

I would put a 2000 on each side, but that's just me. The 3000 would be great as well. The SVS brand is known for their sub quality, go ahead and jump on board! :agree:

11. Strat-Mangler

Actually none of the SVS models have high-level inputs so that won't work for me.

Any other options?

timind likes this.
  12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Don't know if any REL subs have remote control.

13. avanti1960

In that case you are not looking for an ordinary subwoofer.
    You want one that will not color or interfere with the midrange magic and the only one I can guarantee will not do that is the REL T9i.
    I became a REL believer when I added two to my Harbeths not too long ago. They have met expectations like none of the other subs I have owned, tried or heard.
    Easily blended and excellent integration without much fuss- I would suggest that sound quality and ease of integration trumps the need for a remote. You won't be fussing with it for long.
    Powerful bass with quality tone- the quality and quickness claims are not hype. Kick drums sound tight, dramatic and perfect.
    High level inputs. Overbuilt heavy enclosure with no resonance or booming issues. After only a month or so I can say that these are with me for life.

14. Glmoneydawg

I just matched up a Paradigm Defiance X10 with my Harbeth shl5+....yeah i know it's ported...great tight bass matched up perfectly with the harbys...super flexible app for phone or tablet ect..1299$,but dealers are pretty desperate/flexible at the moment:)and it's built in your neck of the woods.

JustGotPaid likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

Strat-Mangler, Paul McGowan likes to take high level speakers out from the amp and go to the subs, and I have done that before, but it's never been my choice. His reasoning is the sonic signature of the speaker outputs of your amplifier will be the same feeding the sub, but that is one area I just don't see. I want my subs to see the crystal clean signal from my Parasound JC-2BP pre-amp, not an amplifier signal that has to be tuned back down and used in the subwoofer input. I have always had a better experience with using the low level outputs, and simply would not consider using the high level speaker outputs from my A-21. I believe he mentioned the REL subs have the high level inputs. For me, low level all the way!

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  16. Litejazz53

I agree with avanti 1960, go with the REL T/9i and call it a day, you won't do any better, it tops the SVS, top shelf (gloss black finish) and you get your high level inputs, there is your great music subwoofer! :agree:

17. Glmoneydawg

Yep i think the amp signature thing flys with 100hz or so crossover (Vandersteen does this)but not so much when crossover points get down around 40 or 50hz...if you disconnect your main speakers with a 40hz XO you may be shocked by what is/isn't comming out your sub.

18. Strat-Mangler

Maybe we're getting our wires crossed but this is what I'm referring to and would need as my amp does not have a dedicated subwoofer out.

[​IMG]

19. Glmoneydawg

The T9i is 1799$ in Canada.....our dollar is suckin hind teet at the moment:(

20. Strat-Mangler

I'm sure they sound great but functionality-wise, I'd have the same setup. I'll keep it in mind for sure, but...

There's got to be a sub that fills all my criteria, no?

21. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Very true....Just connect the sub direct from a speaker output. I would have loved a REL, but I had issues with REL. Drivers are smaller than what you can get for less money and they do not include a variable phase control, which IMO is highly critical to achieve maximum integration with mains. Amp section is also usually lower powered which again you need for slam and attack, yes even with subs. I also did not like that REL subs did not dig lower than around 30Hz.....The T9i at US$1200 is close but still spec wise no match for a SB 2000......I auditioned both REL and B&W at my dealer, nice subs for sure but I went with SVS. You can still get excellent prices from their Outlet section if you want, they are not used but maybe a blemish and include the full warranty.

I really love what the SB2000 does for my music, the main benefit is sustain of low end and an extension of the soundstage.....Paying dbl to get half the wattage and no variable phase control did not seem worth it to me.

Enjoy your search!

22. Litejazz53

I'm with you on the connection, you are taking the speakers out leads from your amplifier or receiver and running them into the subs high level inputs. People do connect that way, I have just always either used my Tape Outs, Left and Right, OR used my second set of Pre-outs, Left and Right, which of course are low level outputs to a low level input on your sub. For me, that has always been the best option, however avanti1960 suggested a killer sub for you, the REL T/9i!

You know looking at that picture, what are you showing, the back of your sub? You know some old subs have a high level (speaker level) inputs and below those sub inputs the manufacturer furnishes a second set of R and L full range speaker outputs, where you just tap off the sub and straight to your speakers, so the path is from the outputs on your amp or receiver to the sub and then from the sub to your R and L speakers, those are really old school subs! is that what I am looking at???

23. avanti1960

martin logan dynamo 800X has high level inputs and app control but even two were underwhelming in my room. you might be able to get a good deal on an 1100x.

24. Strat-Mangler

Just a random pic I found online to ensure we weren't talking about different connection types.

I'm not holding much hope in finding a sub which meets every criteria regardless of price, much less in my budget... so this might come down to what I'm willing to sacrifice.

25. Glmoneydawg

Patience bud...keep an eye on canuck audiomart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.