USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Forget the phone with Amazon, use the chat feature instead. Much better response that way.

2. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

File an A-Z claim with Amazon to get a refund. Here is how to do it:

Go to Your Orders.
    Locate your order in the list and click Problem with order.
    Select “Package didn’t arrive” from the list.
    Select Request refund.
    Enter your comments in the text box.
    Select Submit

Note: Refund requests can take up to one week to investigate. Amazon will notify you of their decision via the email address associated with your account. To view the status of your request, locate your order in the list on the Your Orders page and select Problem with order.

To receive the maximum refund allowed you need to select “Package didn’t arrive”.

I did have a USPS Priority Mail item delivered on Memorial Day.

PhantomStranger and slop101 like this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Thanks, but I ended up getting a refund through their automated bot-chat.

George P likes this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

At least you have solid evidence the shipment arrived.

5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I hadn't realized just how bad things have gotten with the USPS. I really feel for the workers, but this has moved so far beyond just "slightly longer delays". I was supposed to get a package on June 8th, but it was still stuck "in transit" so I submitted a request through the USPS website (since they themselves tell you to check in if it's been more than 14 days). Anyway, this was the response I received:

"After investigating the service request this parcel is still in transit. I currently have over 50 customers who have been waiting for package well over 45 days. We are understaffed and transportation is limited across the the country. We are doing our best to get all shipments delivered as soon as possible. Please continue to patient with us and the parcel will be delivered as soon as it arrives at [your local] facility."

:yikes:

So it sounds really bad. A month and a half plus is a lot more than the week or so they've been letting on. As much as I want to keep supporting the USPS because, in general I think it's a very important service, I can't see myself willingly buying stuff I know will be sent via USPS if six weeks is to become the norm.

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Wow, sorry to hear that. Is that for a Media Mail package or a First Class package?

7. GuidedByJonO)))

I'm not 100% sure, but considering it was CDs from a label, I'm fairly sure its Media Mail. It's fine, I'll be more patient, but I didn't really realize how bad things had gotten. So I thought I'd share here in case some others were waiting.

8. George P

I appreciate the info, thanks!

By the way, in NYC, USPS got so bad that amazon isn't using them at all. Every package I have got over the last month or so from them has arrived via UPS and Lasership.

Meanwhile, I have two packages sent earlier in the week from two different members here via USPS First Class and both are scheduled for delivery for Monday. Tracking has been updating daily.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

ordered from Amazon Tuesday
    delivered Thursday

10. GuidedByJonO)))

Oh yeah, Amazon is great with delivery times. But I (used to, I guess) prefer to order direct from labels, especially local and small ones, to make sure they get the most profit, but it's hard to not want to just jump on Amazon instead when I don't have to wait a month and a half.

I mean, I ordered the new Dylan and Neil Young from Amazon because I'm sure Reprise and Columbia are gonna do just fine on these anyway, but the recent Woods and Hum (for two examples) I wanted to support their labels as directly as possible.

11. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

If I type in a tracking number at the USPS website, it goes to a blank page. This has been happening for a few days. Anyone else? Even if I use a different browser...blank page. Even if I click on the tracking number within a tracking update e-mail...blank page. Yet if I log into Paypal and click Track Shipment it displays all the tracking info at the USPS website. Weird.

12. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Same thing here - I can track from other sites, but not USPS. Shipment from Nashville - 5 hours away -mailed Tuesday, still waiting.

13. George P

Media mail?

14. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

It appears that USPS has a new trick with their tracking software of adjusting dates to make it appear that the parcel is moving smoothly through the system. I have two orders that were placed back in March from Amazon and were shipped from China. The tracking started out okay and showed progress to Chicago and then the parcels sat idle until May when one parcel suddenly showed movement to Saint Louis. At that time, the system then dropped all tracking for that parcel prior to it’s arrival in St. Louis and the other parcel reset to having been accepted in China for shipping to the US. Both start dates for the tracking were adjusted to May. The parcel in China has sat there since that adjustment and the other parcel is in a do loop between St. Louis and Kansas City. Every week the tracking start dates for both parcels adjust themselves to the date of Monday of the current week. Given the volume of parcels that are being tracked, I doubt that someone is manually making those changes to the tracking dates. So there must be something built into the software that is doing that for USPS. My Post Master has no answers as to what is happening but gave me the same message others have gotten about patience and that both parcels will eventually arrive as they tracking numbers are still in the system. Sigh.

Too Much Music ! likes this.
  15. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Yeah. Does that make a difference? It doesn't seem to have mattered in the past, but I could be mistaken.

16. Mail is slow due to christmas levels volumes but patience as always is the key......mny scans have been missed by USPS

17. Have had the same experience .....stuck and then arrives in my area without any other obvious movement

18. George P

It makes a huge difference now. In the past it made a smaller difference.

Myke likes this.
  19. I'm in Canada and USPS does not recognize Canadian locations when tracking ....so the package enters the country and then no scans until it is delivered in my post box.....

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Before the virus I had USPS carriers telling me how pathetic Media Mail was, and why my packages took tours of other states before finally getting to me.
    Since the virus, they've added a red banner across the top of their tracking packages to dissuade us from using it at all.
    I had an album leave California last Friday ( free Media Mail ), it's scheduled to arrive this coming Monday.

21. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

It's nice to read that other people are experiencing the same issues that I am. Tumi postal delivery is utter chaos. Now that's not to say it doesn't work it's just inconsistent at best.

I have ordered items and I live in the eastbay area from someone in the South Bay. I could drive to that person's house in less than 3 hours. My package was routed to Los Angeles then back up to me.

I complained to The cellar and they told me I know I know the post office is hidden mess. he told me that he was shipping something to someone in Fresno in the middle of the state we should take a day or two. It was routed to Boston Massachusetts then back again to Fresno.

I have ordered something from Australia would say could take as much as six weeks to get to me. I received my package 8 days later. I have ordered things from England who has gotten to San Francisco in 2 days then being held up in customs then shipped to me a week later.

Crazy no?

22. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Shipping times for three most recent purchases (all Media Mail)
    13 days
    3 days
    12 days

23. Francophile50

I'm averaging about a week a little more that's if the seller isn't lazy and sends it out right away.

24. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Very odd. I have checked the progress on packages from the USA at usps.com & canadapost.ca. In both cases, I see updates on the status of a package.
    Now, they updates aren't always consistent, but that's another story...

25. Francophile50

I've had the same experience when Canadian sellers send something to me I have no idea where it is in Canada and when it gets to America. It shows up though and if I have to push them the Canadian sellers can track it on their end but I can't track it on mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.