Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

The other day I was inside the house wearing shorts and an old white t-shirt... that suddenly got shorter.

I blame this pandemic stay at home situation for being fatter.

I was also unshaved. OK, not pleasant to watch.

And my wife called me Homer Simpson... That hurts! And now your post...

Now wait a minute... Do you know my wife?

:wantsome:

jcarter, peter1, Robitjazz and 2 others like this.
  2. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

3. Pipian

Pipian Forum Resident

I’ve been trying to find my way through Jazz for a few years now. I’ve enjoyed a lot of the big name albums or songs, but don’t really know where to go from here since the whole genre is so vast - and, so far, been kinda hit and miss by artist.

Here’s a list of jazz records I’ve really enjoyed:
    - Bill Evans Trio (Sunday at the Village Vanguard, and an odd version of Nardis here and there)
    - Mingus (Black Saint and the Sinner Lady! Ah Um kinda left me cold, for some reason)
    - Dave Brubeck (Time Out and Time Further Out)
    - Most Bossa Nova (Getz/Gilberto
    - Some Sun Ra (Jazz in Silhouette, mostly.)

so far, I haven’t really been able to get into Miles Davis’ stuff - and I’ve tried virtually every major album of his from 1959 until about 1975 - but nothing stuck. Ditto Shape of Jazz to come. Lonely Woman is solid, but I’m not so hot on Free Jazz like John Zorn.

What should I try next?

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Ray Cole, JazzFanatic, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Coltrane My Favorite Things

Yesternow, Erik B., Radio and 2 others like this.
  6. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

How about Louis Armstrong? I’m enjoying his Decca Singles 1949-1958 right now.

Lonson and Pipian like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Radio makes a good suggestion with Louis Armstrong. You might also want to try some 'fifties Duke Ellington e.g. "Blues in Orbit" or "Jazz Party," and some Dizzy Gillespie such as "Swing Low Sweet Cadillac" or "At Newport." You also may enjoy some Kenny Burrell or Wes Montgomery (almost all titles are interesting) or Charles Mingus' "Mingus Ah Um" or "Tijuana Moods" . . . . These are all good trails to explore.

8. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

[​IMG]
    Man, where has this music been all my life!

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Out of curiosity, what is the format and release ID for yours? I have the vinyl on Art Yard/Kindred Spirits, LP KSAY-4N and side 1 runs at 45 rpm and side 2 runs at 33 1/3 rpm, but this is not marked anywhere that I can see. I found out and confirmed on discogs (although mine has a 2009 date, not a 2010 date; everything else adds up). Just curious if you did what I did and played side 1 at 33 1/3 rpm and my head exploded. :D

10. Pipian

Pipian Forum Resident

Thank you, all! I’ll try these out! :D

11. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Bolero from the same guitarist... a classic IMO.

[​IMG]

12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

There is worst fate than that ...!

Yesternow likes this.
  13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

The musicians on this album remind me of

Dave Holland - Conference of the Birds almost same lineup. This is my favorite Dave Holland record and surprisingly probably the only one that I really liked.

[​IMG]

I have never heard Ricochet , would you say that it is a classic from the Sam Rivers Trio?

jcarter, Stu02, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  14. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

It`s a live album that was just released a month ago in the Archive Project. It`s not a classic Sam Rivers. I listened to it for the first time today. First impression was very good but I still prefer his studio albums.

Tim 2 and KCLizard like this.
  15. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Listening to Miles Davis- Sorcerer. Good good, the drumming on this one! Limbo completely smokes.

16. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Have you tried any bop or hard bop. Are there any instruments you like more than others?

Pipian and Robitjazz like this.
  17. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Mine's a CD, Art Yard CD004 -- I got it as a "mega blowout sale" for $5.00! I'll definitely be visiting Wayside Music again in the future. :righton:

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Archtop like this.
  18. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

Art Blakey is king

19. Jazz CDs from Lithuania tend to take a while in general.
    Just kidding...so tickled that there's a jazz label in Lithuania at all, and that they took in an interest in a Sam Rivers' archive. How cool is that?
    Your post prompted me to check out the label, and I see an Evan Parker title.
    Since you noted not finding many Dave Holland records your thing, thought I'd mention Life Cycle as a solo cello record that I've been digging in recent days. May be worth streaming a track first.

[​IMG]

jcarter, bluemooze, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  20. NP: Catalogue - Live in East Germany [Leo]

Haven't played this in 20 years, and liking it far more now as I'm warming to more experimental music.

[​IMG]

jcarter, bluemooze, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yeah, Wayside is great. Just be aware that they sometimes list more than one version of a release. One is the $5 mega blowout and the other or others are full price. There's a legit reason why the others are full price (Japanese mini LP, etc.), but just so you know.

As for Art Yard, they are doing a great service to us with the Sun Ra releases. If you like the free jazz stuff, I highly recommend Horizon, from 12/17/71, live in Egypt (Art Yard CD008). The sound is good enough (probably a 7.5/10, but consider the source) and the playing is fantastic. Sun Ra and the Arkestra in Egypt? That would be a hard yes. Additional material from that same night plus more from Egypt on the same tour (less free but still fine Sun Ra) is available on Nidhamu + Dark Myth Equation Visitation (Art Yard CD009).

jay.dee likes this.
  22. Glad to read that the MQA UHQCDs are sounding good.
    It prompted a few questions.
    Have you had a chance to compare the same titles vs. Analogue Productions (which on the whole I liked) or the 1995 US CDs (Erick Labson, which I found bright)?
    Are the ones you're liking the series all labelled "Impulse The Masterworks" (as with Alfie above)?
    What's the best value source for these? (e.g., CD Japan)

Any info is appreciated. In the past I've avoided Japanese CDs as I find them bright, or thought they might be using copy tapes. And these days tend to listen to vinyl. But for Coltrane, I make an exception.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

25. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

You seem to like artists and albums with a lot of groove, whether they are really in or "out there". I'd suggest looking at Alice Coltrane's work, especially the stuff on Impulse. Some more Mingus might also be up your alley, maybe try Tijuana Moods next.

peter1 and Pipian like this.