Ebay auction peeves

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mr. Gnome, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Gnome

Mr. Gnome Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a peeve with bidders on eBay. Say a new auction begins that ends in 6 days. You have 17 people the first day bid and drive up the price. Why? Now there are six days left for the price to be driven up more when they should have waited until the last day to try get the item cheaper. Do they not have common sense? I would never bid on an auction with 6 days left to go.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

As a seller I'm perfectly fine with this practice. :)

3. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

People bid because they want the item. What difference does it make to you when they do it?
    The way to win an auction is to bid your max price with 10 seconds left to go.

4. Mr. Gnome

Mr. Gnome Forum Resident Thread Starter

It makes a big difference. They have a better chance of not only winning it but getting it for a lower price if they don’t do it 6 days before it ends. They’re almost guaranteed to lose it if they do then. For me, it’s annoying watching an item to have bidders destroy an auction that way by not using common sense.

I’m sure you are. :laugh:

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Me neither. It alerts others who are watching the auction that someone is interested. It does artificially drive the price of the item up as, let's face it, most people are cheap and their interest will immediately fade after the item in question's price is more than 10% of what it's worth so I don't understand the need to do this unless these jokers are hoping for some sort of miracle in that a week will go by without anyone else bidding.

6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

when bidding on auctions, you don't know the cost of the import fees until its all done. "see price at checkout"..

7. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Sometimes bidding early discourages others from bidding. Unless the seller is shilling bids to drive up the price, you can't blame others for bidding if they want it, just so you can get it cheaper!

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's only for items not going through the eBay shipping program.

9. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

My pet peeve is pet peeves

showtaper and Myke like this.
  10. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Okay everybody sit down, relax, get comfortable buckle up it may be a bumpy ride but you'll be here for a little bit.

Just to let you right off the bat I'm not a seller so I don't see things from a perspective of a seller. I only see things from the perspective of a buyer.

That said I have many pet peeves but the biggest one I keep experiencing which is the rub for me is make offer option. You have an option with a make offer option.
    You have an auction with a make offer option and I make an offer and you let it expire. Or I make an offer and you decline it. You say nothing to me. A big pet peeve is communication why don't you talk to me? Tell me you can't accept my offer. Tell me what you're willing to accept. If it's more than I think the value of the item is well at least I know where you stand. why do sellers just leave buyers in the dark like they really don't care if they sell the item or not?

Okay I make an offer you don't like it. you make a counter-offer which I don't think the item is worth so I make a counter-offer again to you. You get upset and you declined my offer. Why don't you just send me a message telling me that your counter offer is the best price you can give me? Instead you get insulted you go away you don't talk to me you don't make a sale.

Another thing is you put make offer on there and you're only willing to accept a dollar less. What's the point in having a make offer option?

No matter which way you slice it to me communications is the key I don't care how much you want for it I just need to know what that is if I can accept your price for the item I'll buy it from you.

I understand a lot of buyers try to lowball Sellers and I don't try to do that. on average I'll offer you 75 to 80% of your asking price. I would never offer you 10, 20 or 50% of your asking price.

So you have to see that a honest and caring buyer can be put off as much as an honest seller can because of people who are selfish or self-centered or are too demanding.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In some cases it's actually shill bidding, but generally it happens because people are morons.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Francophile50

Another annoying thing is over priced shipping. 1.99 starting bus and $50 to ship a CD.

fretter and Bingo Bongo like this.
  13. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

....two things that drive me crazy...when a seller does not list vinyl grade in listing title or when the grade is hidden deep in the description...usually after a few paragraphs of nonsense.

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I think the whole "Make Offer" system whether for auction or set sale is among the biggest mistakes eBay has made. As a seller, should I have to list everything at 20% more than I actually need to get in order to rope in people who feel better if they get 20% off by making an offer - driving away the many more potential buyers who will look at the listing and think "Gee, that guy's nuts, all of his listings are 20% too high"?

fretter likes this.
  15. Francophile50

Does a seller have an option to use it or not because I've seen auctions and buy it now that is without it? If you use it, take an offer. It doesn't have to be 20%. Or knock off $10 to make someone feel like you are being reasonable.

I think I know what's reasonable and what I want to pay for a CD. If I can get it close to that I'm going to buy it but if I'm not going to get a response I'm going to go somewhere else. I just had another offer ignored this morning. It was a $13 CD I offer $10. Is that unreasonable? The seller need to communicate that the seller ignored me means I'm going to go buy it somewhere else. But that the seller ignored me how is he going to treat me in shipping?

16. R. Totale

Yes, the seller has a choice at listing whether or not to use it. I believe I've read of eBay applying it without notifying the seller when a listing has been up for a long time, but it has not happened to me. It's possible the people who are not responding don't even know that option is on their listing.

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm that a$$hole who waits till the last second and swoop in for the kill. And I couldn't agree more about early bidders. I always assumed it was friends helping raise the bid.

18. Francophile50

Just like you I swoop in at the last second too but the market will dictate the price. I don't care if you bid on it while I'm bidding on it we both have set prices that we're willing to pay for the item. Maybe you want it a little bit more than I do so you win. I know this isn't the only CD that's going to be sold. It may not come around very often so you might want it more but it'll still be sold again. And you know after it gets sold there's always someone that comes around and sells it for cheaper later. I see this and shake my head thinking I should have waited.

fretter likes this.
  19. Francophile50

Death by technology. sometimes my messages become incoherent because at the very last second my phone decides to change a word and not tell me and have to go back and look at my post and see it looks like gibberish and then correct it. I'm glad the forum gives you 30 minutes to fix your mistakes.

20. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I don't see a difference between bidding early, and driving up the price during the last hour of bidding. The result is the same. Bidding late is an archaic Ebay tactic that people caught on over 10 years ago, in my opinion.

21. Francophile50

It might be archaic to you but if someone has only a few seconds to decide whether or not to bid higher they may hesitate and lose out on the auction. People hold on to their ideas of how much they should pay for it and if someone wants it a lot more they're only going to raise the price a little bit at a time.

22. R. Totale

I'm just that reasonable person who has read the Yippie! Manifesto and took up Article Eight. I have adopted the philosophy "Let the Machines do it!"

23. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I don't understand what you're saying. Ebay was founded on the concept of impulse buying. The thrill of bidding led people to pay more for an item than it's worth. That's how it used to be. Nowadays, I think, bidding is controlled by expert resellers who know exactly how high they can go and still make money on resale. I'm not willing to bid up to $500 on vintage acoustic guitar brand X without having tested it, but expert seller Y knows he can resell it for $700 in his store, so he'll bid to win.

24. Francophile50

Not necessarily. You look at the auction based on the information provided and the knowledge that you have and you make a decision on if you want to buy the item or not. You can either contact the seller and ask for more information or you can go on what the seller has provided.

Sometimes you can see things that the seller didn't see and that can work towards your advantage. I have purchased many very expensive copies of Spider-Man for a few dollars because the seller listed it as Sider-Man and nobody knew to look.

You look at something and if you're knowledge about the item is good you'll know what the value of the item is worth in the condition that it's listed. You can bid what you think you want to pay for the item and sometimes you'll be outbid and sometimes you'll get a bargain.

fretter likes this.
  25. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I agree. I'm more of a book buyer than anything else. There are great finds to be had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.