Moving from floor standers to bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

How low in frequency they go and bass output are not the same.

2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Was trying to sell my pm8005 integrated for $849 recently

3. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You've really dragged me down the rabbit hole. I was planning my amp upgrade for AT LEAST a year off. If I lower my amp ambitions and buy refurbished, I could possibly upgrade by the end of the summer. It's not the Marantz PM8006 I wanted, but a refurbished PM PM5005 is 1/3 of the price.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...5-2-ch-x-55-watts-integrated-amplifier/1.html

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Having both, it's not the same amp. I have mine running the NHT SuperZeros. You should consider what I told you earlier about NHT (to which you did not respond) but hold out for at least the PM6006. They are often on accessories4less for just $100 more and are currently:

MARANTZ PM6006 2-Ch x 60 Watts Integrated Amp w/ D-to-A

They also sell the refurb PM8006 for $899! Out of stock but you can get on the list.

Search this site for Warren Jarrett's comments about NHT speakers. I've known about them since the mid-90's. You do yourself a disservice if you don't look into them.

dennis1077 likes this.
  5. dennis1077

I'll take a closer look at the NHT's. Gonna explore them now!

6. dennis1077

Am I looking at the right speaker? The price seems too good to be true.

https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero-2-1-Mini-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B00CKNOYWK

7. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You need SuperOnes more than SuperZeros

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  8. Benzion

Amazon USED TO carry the SuperOnes at ridiculous price of $104 apiece. I procrastinated and left it at that, now they're either out of stock, or back close to regular price of $175 apiece. Instead, I got a pair of the W 225's.

I think that even with SuperOnes a sub will be a must.

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The SuperZeros have even better imaging IMO than the SuperOnes IMO but many people would want to add a 10" sub (not me, however). It was the SuperOnes I suggested you check out. But yes, Amazon us undercutting NHT and selling their speakers for less than their wholesale cost and have been for awhile. Check NHT's website nhthifi.com for what they have to sell them for. The SuperOnes are not currently available on Amazon. The SuperZeros are the steal of the century (I have two pairs on TV based systems for TV and music through my PM5005 and PM6004). I run them without a sub (I hate subs). A sub is ABSOLUTELY NOT "a must" with the SuperOnes! They run a 6.5" driver. Get them first and see for yourself. Add a sub later if you want that awful thump. Remember, these are acoustic suspension speakers which is a completely different animal than ported speakers.

NHT SuperOne 2.1

At $175 each, still a crazy good price but currently sold out (gee, I wonder why??). And read Warren Jarrett's thread about these speakers - do a site search here! You can find the SuperOne's online, just look around.

shadowhillway likes this.
  10. Benzion

I would suspect they are sold out because of COVID supply chain issues, not necessarily because there was a run on them.

I'm not a big fan of subs myself. In fact, I had resisted getting one for years myself. Until I paired my tube amp with a pair of tower speakers that go down to 37 Hz spec-wise, and felt a definite need for more "body".

The SuperOnes go down to 56 Hz on paper, which would make a sub a definite must for me. Unless you can tell me that in real life they sound like they go down to 26 Hz?

YMMV, of course, you may not like much bass to begin with.

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I lived in too many cities to like bass much. Look, I'm happy with the bass response in the SuperZeros. But the SuperOnes do better than most bookshelf speakers and the bass is tight based on the acoustic suspension design. But I'm a no subs ever type of listener. As the Brits say, "Horses for courses."

They are small batch speakers and long before ChiVi, they sold out often.

12. dennis1077

Tomorrow I am going to order a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225's. Thanks to everyone that offered their input. I considered options like the NHT Super Zeros but ultimately the Wharfedale's felt right.

I'm going to buy a pair of Wharfedale ST-1 stands along with the speakers. The top plate measures 6" wide x 8.25" deep. Yet the speaker dimensions are 6-7/8"W x 11-7/16"D. The depth is off by nearly 4 inches. Is this normal or should I find a stand with different dimensions?

Benzion likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes.

Only if they are Bucharts:laugh:

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Congrats. Surprised you didn't consider the latest Elac B6's though. All the rage for under $500.

15. dennis1077

I did consider the Elac's! I actually agonized over the choices. At some point you gotta make a decision. I'm hoping the Warfedale's are a good fit.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good luck with your choice!

dennis1077 likes this.
  17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Enjoy. Give them a solid pair of speaker cables too.

dennis1077 likes this.
  18. dennis1077

It’s been a full three weeks of living with my Wharfedale 225’s so I thought I’d give an update.

As far as my original concern about moving from floorstanders to bookshelf speakers…..they definitely sound less full. I’m still trying to acclimate myself to the change. I hate to admit it, but the Polk R50’s seem more satisfying to listen to.

That’s not to say there haven’t been moments of greatness with the Wharfedales. Being able to easily move speaker stands is a HUGE plus and it’s easier to experiment with speaker placement. I’ve reclaimed some floor space and my room looks less cluttered.

There have been moments where music sounds AMAZING on the Wharfedale’s and I’ve been revisiting albums I haven’t listened to in years. Oddly enough, other albums sound awful until I switch over to the Polk’s. It’s almost as if the 225’s highlight the deficiencies of poorly recorded albums. I’m starting to understand the forum obsession with seeking out the best pressings.

I have also caught glimpses of improved imaging but it’s not quite there. If anything, I attribute this limitation to my Onkyo TX-8020. Since buying the Wharfedale’s, I’ve become hyper aware that I’m using a low-end receiver.

Ultimately, I feel that I can’t truly evaluate the Wharfedale’s until I upgrade to a decent integrated amp. I would also like to try bi-wiring. I found a pair of cables for $70 on Amazon. It’s bound to be an improvement over the off-the-spool speaker wire I’m using now.

https://www.amazon.com/k4B-2B-Bi-Wi...9803&sprefix=bi+wire+cables+sp,aps,159&sr=8-3

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Love my Missions (made by Whaferdale), but my Subwoofer is the icing on the cake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.