Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. London HMC 5001 [The Commodore Series] - Red Norvo And His Orchestra " Town Hall Concert Vol 1" - rec. 1945

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Get some Bud Powell. Start with the Roost recordings from the late 1940's.

Pipian, jonwoody and WorldB3 like this.
  3. MCA Records MCA-3043 [Japan] - The Red Norvo Trio + 3 big bands " Swing And Bop" -
    Content:
    Side A [tracks A1 to A8] The Red Norvo Trio rec. 1953 with Tal Farlow & Jimmy Raney
    Side B Three bigbands
    - Lucky Milinder rec. 1942 - trcks B1 & B2
    - Randy Brooks rec. 1946 - tracks B3 & B4
    - Charlie Barnet rec. 1943 - travks B5 to B8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, bluemooze and jonwoody like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Listening to the timely (nearly sixty year old) track "Fables of Faubus"
    Charles Mingus "Presents Charles Mingus"
    [​IMG]

5. Lonson

I have an Oppo UDP-205 but haven't done an update that would playback MQA apparently. I mainly play my audio through a PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player and DirectStream DAC which gives me considerably better sound (imo) than the Oppo and it doesn't unfold MQA either. But the three Coltrane discs I have so far in this series (Crescent, Live at the Village Vanguard, Live at Birdland) sound FANTASTIC. Best digital versions I've heard of any of them.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Nicholas Payton - Sonic Trance (WB)
    A more groove oriented sound with electronics mixed in tastefully with the instruments.

jcarter, KCLizard and bluemooze like this.
  7. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:
    [​IMG]

8. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

[​IMG]

DVR'd an oddball experimental film on TCM a few weeks ago and finally got round to watching today. It's jumbled and unusual, the acting is stilted in places and it suffers from the usual play-turned film limitations, BUT it's a worthwhile endeavor overall. Jackie McLean and Freddie Redd are featured prominently and play a few numbers where they're doing their thing, uninterrupted. I'd say check it out as a curiosity and snapshot of the ever-evolving counter culture movement from the 1960's.

9. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Last night I listened to a few recent audiophile-oriented LP reissues. It was interesting to see how vastly different the production philosophy was between the three companies.

First up was the March releases from Music Matters' 2020 SRX series. Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage (an all time favorite album of mine regardless of genre) and Grant Green's Idle Moments. Both were fantastic, and are albums I think are uniquely suited to the benefits of the quiter vinyl formulation. These releases really speak to MM's philosophy of giving you not how they used to make them, but better than that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was the Electric Recording Co. reissue of Thelonius Monk's Brilliant Corners. This was an interesting one. I was truly stunned by how authentically they recreated a 50's release. The paper stocks, board thickness, size of lead-in, and typesetting are all eerily perfect. Sound and pressing quality were both top-notch. On the whole though, while I can see why the releases cost so much (all things paper are a bit of a hobby, and vintage/custom paper stocks don't come cheap) these are too dear for me to want to collect much more from them. In fact, the only further releases I could see purchasing are further Monk titles.
    [​IMG]

Finally, I played my just recieved copy of SAM Records new Artisen series' first release: Donald Byrd's Byrd Jazz. While the pressing quality was just as good as the other three, soumd quality was a bit lower due to the nature of the original recording. What really leaps out at you though is that hand silkscreened cover. The colors are so vivid. I'm already looking forward to further releases in this series.
    [​IMG]

jcarter, KCLizard, Stu02 and 21 others like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The last link is gone.

Freddy Cole has passed away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I did grill some fish today. Mostly sardines and horse mackerel, these were the first 5 to come out. A red pepper was also there, so there you go - vegetables.
    [​IMG]

And after that a big cup of chocolate ice cream to round up lunch :winkgrin:.

So this just came up as a suggestion. Maybe because I was playing parts of the complete on the corner box online.

Man, if you like the Get up with it period you have to check this one

[​IMG]

A lot of Miles Davis 72-74 in there.
    You'll be pleased to hear that sound alive again. Or you'll think it is just copy of it.

It was recorded more than 10 years ago but only recently made available.

Vibration Black Finger, Backism

jcarter, bluemooze, Stu02 and 6 others like this.
  13. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

The last Oppo update may have also brought about another improvement in addition to MQA. I'm very happy to own the Oppo but red book CD was better with my Naim CDX (without any PS upgrades), which sadly died. So you guys inspired me to compare the unfolded MQA of Moanin' to the SHM-SACD and I'm afraid there is no clear winner. They are very close to my 59 yo ears. Both excellent. But I will say this, neither is as good as the Music Matters SRX pressing that I also happen to own. But that's not exactly a fair fight, My Rega RP8 w/ Lyra Helikon SL is a much better & more expensive source. But in any case, I see a couple of Coltrane MQA disc's in my future. Also, there was no indication that MQA is involved on the Oppo's screen but with an attached screen it indicates MQA studio.

davidpoole and Sorcerer like this.
  14. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It’s that time of week. I have another one in me, and some rye, before calling it. Short week, then the 4th. My flag will be flying.

15. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Duke Ellington - The Great Paris Concert

[​IMG]

peter1, KCLizard, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  16. Lonson

It's not easy for me to connect this device and do upgrades, and sometimes upgrades take away features and I'm fine with what I use the Oppo for (mainly video discs and as a DAC for my DVR) so haven't bothered to do updates and probably won't--I bought this just before it was discontinued so I believe it has all but the final update.

17. Lonson

If you haven't heard it, this Blue Note by Freddie Redd is pretty darned good.

[​IMG]

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

That cover is just too weird!

PADYBU likes this.
  19. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last one for the weekend. From the mono Miles set. Some tough and some amazing things ahead for the next week: life...don’t waste it. See y’all soon for the long 4th weekend!

20. Lonson

Have a good week Dr.!

Right now
    The Complete Blind Willie Johnson, disc 2.
    This guy scares me, makes me fear for my mortal soul! And he's so good a player and singer.
    [​IMG]

jcarter, bluemooze, Robitjazz and 5 others like this.
  21. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

22. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Hal Galper made some really great records during the 70s...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. trd

trd Forum Resident

Not quite ready to give up on the weekend just yet, time for some funky Freddie

[​IMG]

24. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Notably engineered by Conny Plank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jcarter, KCLizard, bluemooze and 11 others like this.
  25. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks!