Yamaha A-S2100 In The House.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by redchiro, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Purchased a new Yamaha a-s2100 while they are still possible to find, now that the replacement a-s2200 is available. Purchased at Safe and Sound. Great folks to deal with, shipping is immediate, double boxed. The price was decent, considering the new one is retailing for 4k.
    This unit was installed within a home theater system through the "main input" (which can be switched from the remote). I was not happy with my Onkyo tx-nr3007 powering the big Polk LsiM 707 fronts for stereo listening. After quite a bit of research, I decided on an integrated. I also wanted a quality headphone section built in, did not care too much about streaming or a built in dac, although if the Hegel 190 was affordable for me, I might have jumped at one of those. It would have been approx. double the cost. So, Friday was unboxing and power up check, yesterday was headphone listening with Sennheiser HD650, and today I calibrated it into my HT and did some stereo listening:
    The headphone section is discrete and to my ears sounds great. Easily powers the Senns, opens them up nicely as well. I hear no exaggerated frequencies, no sibilance, and the music just flows and is very engaging. For my needs, perfect. So far, with two channel, this amp is a very good match with my Polks. It provides nice control of the low end, which was a bit boomy with the avr. The mids and highs are lovely. Once again, seems to put forth what is on the recording without adding anything. But, the sound is "inviting" in a way that the avr definitely was not. I don't go in for too many audiophile adjectives, but compared to the avr, it is simply better in every conceivable way. The Polks need current and this integrated has a great power supply. This amp with the Polks, provides all the finesse and detail I like, without any sizzle or thinness up top. The mids are terrific, voices have body, and can sound real. Dynamics are preserved if they are present, and the stop-start startle that I enjoy is there. I have only listened to CD/SACD so far. Running a Pioneer dvd-79avi via analogue into the 2100 . This Pioneer unit has a very nice power supply/analogue section and the dac is adequate, even though this is many years old. SACD remains as dsd as far as I know.
    I cannot imagine anyone that loves music being overly critical of this amp. I think the value at the current selling price is high. It is beautifully built, nice to look at and to use, should pair well with most speakers, renders music in a way that promotes a desire to sit and listen. That was missing with the avr. The headphone stage is really good if one enjoys that once in a while. I hear the phono stage is decent. When I get some new racks, I may have to dig out my old Denon 52F and then test it out. I am happy to report back as I get some more time in with this Yamaha.
    To any that are interested, Safe and Sound in Massachusetts had a couple in stock. I was told by another store in Maryland that Yamaha has none left. If anyone is considering this general model line, might be the last chance to grab a new one from the previous model year. Happy I did.

GyroT, EightSixEight, Carlox and 14 others like this.
  2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

You are so lucky.What I want but can't have.Just too much cash.I will have to do with my RXZ9.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. redchiro

Thanks. Had to sell a few things to swing it and still it was a stretch. I typically have to buy older models, etc., to have nice things. In this case, even though this model was replaced after 5 years or so, the new one does not appear to be drastically different. I didn't feel like I was giving up much and I am happy with the performance. If you are considering an a-s2100, maybe grab one before they are gone, look for some creative ways to pay for it if that is an option. Good luck. I wanted one for years, finally bit the bullet. Maybe not a smart Corona-economy purchase! We will see.

timind and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

Congrats. I love mine. Definitely my endgame amp. The only thing it gives up to the Hegel is the DAC. Had them side by side. What color did you go for? It looks amazing in either black or silver. It’s those VU meters. They’re stunning. Of course the silver just edges out the black for title of beat looking.

5. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Gorgeous looking and sounding amp, detail and slam for days. Enjoy.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. redchiro

Went for the black to match everything (and so my girlfriend won't notice, ha, ha). It is quite a nice looking component, built so well. Silver is special for sure and classic for Yamaha, but it would have stuck out like a sore thumb in rack.

timind, CraigC, Rick58 and 1 other person like this.
  7. redchiro

Yes, been so long since I have had something of any real quality. Really missed what a high current amp that is also refined can bring to the table. Lot of fun.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Lucky sod ! Now that amp and those floorstanders; a match made in heaven !

9. redchiro

Yes, a company here in the states bought out Polk's supply of LSiM's and was basically fire-sailng them. I also have a pair of 705's which I plan to test against the 707's and see which is more appropriate for my room/needs. Neither pair came to life with the AVR. As everyone says, the Polks need power. I found that the Yamaha allowed the speakers to be significantly more "open" sounding and dynamic. The Polks are not for everyone, especially if you like a fast, super-tight, "crisp", very "detailed" presentation. Much more to play with. Thanks.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Just pulled the trigger yesterday on a CD-S2100 to go with my A-S2100.

Last one at accessories4less for $1899. I’ve had a good experience with the last several components I’ve gotten from them.

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The amp will keep getting better as it breaks in.

12. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Enjoy, it’s a beautiful piece of kit!

jwoverho likes this.
  13. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

I really like Yamaha amps. Even the budget options like my A-S301 has far more power than the equivalent Cambridge, NAD or Rotel options and more features to boot! Absolutely love the sound with my Denton 85's. One day I'll get myself an A-S1200 or similar.

14. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Congrats, funny how you chose black so your girlfriend won’t notice!

15. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Congrats! It’s such a gorgeous amp and I’ve always loved the Yamaha sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.