Rega Brio(integrated amp) and banana plugs....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

I s anybody aware of what "size" plugs should be used with this amp? All the ones I have tried to date only part insert(have not tried to "force" in case of potential damage)...could it be that I am the throes of yet another senior moment and there are perhaps cunningly hidden binder post caps?

2. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Hi I`ve not heard or read anything suggesting that the Brio or the Brio r do accept "standard size" rca plugs or speaker banana plugs.
    Here`s a link that may or may not help(Complete Guide to Banana Test Plugs | Warwick Test Supplies) if it doesn`t here`s Rega u.k.`s contact number:01702 333071,they`ll help sort you right out.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    frimleygreener likes this.
  3. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

What style of banana plugs have you tried? I'm not sure all kinds insert all the way. My BFA type plugs certainly don't.

KT88 likes this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I find that banana plugs that have true spring contacts and insulated barrels are best for any application.
    They look like this:
    [​IMG]
    This sort of plug will have its metal portion insert almost fully and leave exposed only the well insulated barrels. That's really important for speaker connections as a metal to metal contact between positive and negative barrels at either the amp end or the speaker can destroy an amplifier. I am appalled by the makers of and the use of banana plugs and especially adapters, ie screw-on ends, with metal barrels. Those are accidents waiting to happen.

The type that I have pictured, and there are many brands so that bit isn't so important, provide a fully insulated connection when the speaker wire is inserted so that its insulated jacket is fully inside the banana barrel jacket. Once the metal contacts are inserted into the banana socket, the only thing left exposed is all vinyl insulated. This spring type will likely last your lifetime and holds firmly in place, yet is very easy to insert. I use this type system all over the shop. Quality matters in materials for the wire and the connector, and in the execution of the termination, but you don't need absurdly expensive stuff.

As others indicate, there are various other styles that have longer contact pins and so will not fully insert into many sockets. As long as the spring is fully engaged so that the plug will not fall out on its own weight or with a ridiculously small amount of force, then it should provide enough tension to stay put as long as you want it there, even if the full metal pin portion cannot be fully inserted.
    -Bill

frimleygreener likes this.
  5. frimleygreener

Bill: I am using the "spring" type of plugs...but I would say the plug only enters up to about halfway up the spring leaving the rest exposed. Perhaps I need more muscle to force them home? Wary about doing so,but perhaps fortune favours the brave!

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, they should stop rather solidly when fully inserted, no matter the style, so a decent push is in order. Once tight, it really won't matter how deep they are set, it's the spring tension that holds them in place. Half way doesn't sound proper though. She deserves better.
    -Bill

Madison Mike and frimleygreener like this.
  7. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Yeah, I have a BrioR and can confirm that banana plugs don't go in as far into the connectors as I'm used to seeing with other amps. They do go in far enough to establish a firm connection and that's what's important. Don't try pushing them in hard. That could turn out bad.

8. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

Just checked my Rega Elex-R. My banana plugs only go in about 3/4 of the way. Connection is very secure though.

9. fried

fried Forum Resident

Same here.

10. frimleygreener

Ah well. Not alone then. Perhaps Rega prefer the John Mayall method.

11. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I used the same bananas with my Brio as with any other amp.

12. frimleygreener

And did you have to use "undue" force to fully insert them? If not,and returning to my opening post, is the Brio dependent upon a specific size of plug?

13. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

I just got a Brio and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use regular banana speaker plugs with this. Is there something that needs to be removed first? Feeling like an idiot.

14. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

I'm using Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 cables with locking bananas and they fit solidly and fully inserted as I expected.

15. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

Yes, the black plastic protection caps need to be removed first.

Pmds55889397 likes this.
  16. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Thanks. Yeah, I finally figured it out. And yes, I felt like an idiot.

17. gilkinted

gilkinted New Member

Is this subject of Banana Plugs in to Brio amps still alive (?) If so I'd like to point out something about the small amount of the spring section that is exposed because plugs are not fully inserting. If there are concerns about interconnects shorting to this exposed bit I noticed that just screwing the red and black plastic screw terminals anti-clockwise pulls them up on to the exposed area and covers it. Voila!

4oneFiva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.