Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The Connection is an oft cited 1959 play by the Living Theater group that was adapted for film a couple of years later by Shirley Clarke who became later better known as a documentarian -- she did an Ornette Coleman movie and won an Oscar for a film about Robert Frost. I haven't seen this one but I did DVR it too becuase I've been wanting to see it for a while. Haven't gotten to it yet.

Starwanderer, Levi's Tubs and trd like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

5. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The original Yoshi's in Claremont was special. Band stand was about 1 foot high. My wife and saw many shows there before Yoshi's moved to Jack London Square in Oakland. Highlights were Benny Carter with Roger Kellaway in 1993, and Benny Carter with Charlie Haden and Eric Reed in 1995, which was a very special show.

trd, davidpoole and frightwigwam like this.
  6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I saw Freddy Cole as part of a double bill at the original Yoshi's in Claremont in 1993. The other person on the double bill was Ahmad Jamal. Freddy Cole opened, and was great beyond expectations, both singing and piano playing.

7. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

8. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Starting this week with

Johnny Hodges: Hodge Podge

[​IMG]

and now

Johnny Hodges: The Small Group Sessions vol. 1 #3

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, peter1, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I had a look around, and there are more claims on the internet the Arcam CDS50 can do MQA besides the thread on this board. By the way, the Acram has the same DAC as the Oppo.

A quote I found online:
    "This is an absolutely outstanding player and it's pretty shocking what arcam can do for this price. One of the best features of this piece is it's ability to do MQA. I can't find it anywhere in its literature but it absolutely does it and it does it in all different sample rates which include 88.2, 96, and 192. What's also amazing about this is the arcam music life app can handle and passthrough mqa files that other streamers/renders can't. Often I use an app called bubble upnp vs the factory apps of many streamers and when I'm using that app only a handful of files come through as mqa but when I switch to the arcam app all mqa files are read and unfolded properly and the sound difference is noticeable. I'm able to confirm all this through my mark Levinson 5802 integrated that's able to show all this information when playing each file. All that aside this is an absolutely amazing unit and it cost a ton more money to do a hair better then this. The unit also outputs both balanced and single ended, it has digital inputs and the cds50 has a high-end DAC chip (ess 9038) that's most often used in much higher priced units."

Anyway, I am willing to believe this is so, but since I don't stream through apps, I cannot confirm.

Also:
    [​IMG]

All I know is I love this machine. :love:

10. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Duke Ellington - Piano Reflections

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, trd, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  11. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I have been going through and interesting period in my life. I recently had a successful liver transplant and I have been at home recovering nicely. Part of the doctors orders are to lay in bed or sit in chair with my feet elevated. My HT recliner fits that bill nicely, so I have been spending quality time listening to my LPs. About 3 weeks ago I took delivery on a Sweet Vinyl SC-2 Mini Click and Pop remover which is so good it has changed my vinyl listening experience. I can not hear its affects as much as I have tried. So I have it on for all LPs. It also makes quick work of needle drops. Since I am sentenced to spending time with my feet elevated I am taking advantage of the time to make lots of needle drops 10-12 LPs a day inn some cases. I have already done all of my Blue Notes used, 70, 80's and Tone Poet Series. Next was Billie Holliday, followed by Louis, Fletcher Henderson and now I am working on my 30 Duke Ellington sides. I have a few left from the late sixties, 1970.

Getting closer to back on topic I am currently doing needle drops for the 4 sides of this LP. Live at the Opernhaus, Cologne 1969 from the Jazzline WDR Cologne Broadcast Series.

[​IMG]

A wonderful series of live concert broadcasts of some of the major Jazz artists touring at the time. The sound is very good for live broadcasts from that time and in some cases they represent the best live sound I have heard from some of these artists. I own 10 LPs from this series and plan to get more as they come out. Besides Duke Ellington I have: Billie Holliday / Buddy DeFranco (1954), Count Basie (1963), Oscar Peterson Trio (2 LPs 1961 and 1963 concerts), Stan Getz Quartet (1960), Dave Brubeck Quartet (1960), Bud Powell (1960), Ella Fitzgerald (1973) and the MJQ (1957).

So between my standard recovery time and COVID 19 on top of it I am under "house arrest" for the foreseeable future. But who can complain about a sentence where you get to listen to your favorite music with your feet up in your listening room? Not me!! It's good to be the King.

Starwanderer, trd, jcarter and 14 others like this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Congrats on the successful transplant and the great time of recovery that you are utilizing so well!

Ray Cole and Jim0830 like this.
  13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

As a bonus to what I described in my post above: today I take delivery on a 10 disk King Cole Trio box set called Hittin' The Ramp: The Early Years (1936-1943) on Resonance Records who do a great job collecting rarities and documenting and artist's career.

[​IMG]

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I hope you make a speedy recovery, Jim. Best wishes.

Ray Cole and Jim0830 like this.
  15. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Get well !

16. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Listening out back on the deck, while its still cool. Temperatures in the mid 80s (29 C) and high humidity are predicted for the rest of the week. Finally should get some swimming in after a rainy, overcast weekend.
    Still riding the Hatology train and have this free jazz-flavored disc cranked a little louder a little earlier, as the neighbors nearest the deck side of the house are usually out of town at their camp most of the time these days. Their house is for sale and I am hoping the new neighbors are Ornette Coleman fans!! Hope everyone stays smart, safe and hydrated!!

[​IMG]

Jon Lloyd (2) ‎– Four And Five
    hatOLOGY ‎– hatOLOGY 537

Tracklist Hide Credits

1 Jump 7:33
    2 Four And Five 11:32
    3 Zilch, Zero, Zed 7:57
    4 Blues For 10:53
    5 Method 7:53
    6 Xis 4:30
    7 Take The Coltrane Composed By – Duke Ellington 5:26

Credits
    Notes
    Recorded 30th December 1998 at Gateway Studio, Kingston Hill Centre, Surrey.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have the 7 cd version of the Cole set, a marvelous set that has sonic improvement over the previous versions I have had of most of this material. You're in for a treat!

Jim0830 likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thats one Miles album I've not heard, going to give it listen on Tidal.

SJR and Sorcerer like this.
  19. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    New arrival: The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-1970 (Mosaic, MD8-268)

Starwanderer, trd, jcarter and 14 others like this.
  20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

More Miles to start the day's listening. CD1

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, trd, jcarter and 16 others like this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Have this set. Incredible material.

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Folks - would love to know more about Johnny Hodges, and this recent book appears to be the only biography, although there is mixed views on its content and its length (under 180 pages of text). Has anybody got it and if so what are the thoughts, or is there an Ellington book that will tell me more about the man and his music

[​IMG]

Stu02 likes this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:righton:

Let me know what you think of it!

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. [​IMG]

FLY AWAY LITTLE BIRD - Jimmy Giuffre | Paul Bley | Steve Swallow (OWL/Sunnyside) CD

Jimmy Giuffre (soprano sax, clarinet, vocal), Paul Bley (piano), Steve Swallow (electric bass)

A fine session recorded at Sound On Sound Studio, New York, April 25, 1992

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, jcarter, Plinko and 8 others like this.
  25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Jimmy Giuffre - Freefall (Columbia CK-65446)

Following @Jackie P`s lead this morning with this late 1962 gem from the trio of Giuffre, Swallow and Bley.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, jcarter, Stu02 and 5 others like this.