Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

And the way the film industry makes money is by selling more DVDs. I’m sure I’m right about this. It ties in with the fact that you could pick up really cheap DVD players after a while but this never happened with Blu-ray players.

2. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

For a super crazy Prince fan- the super deluxe looks great.
    I dig Prince, but I'm going with the straght up double album- the way it was released.
    I can't see sitting down to play through 13 LP's.
    I would most likely only spin them once.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

question if anyone has compared the Japanese Blu-Ray to this German one with the supposed Atmos track. I bought the Japanese one last year and very much enjoyed it, but since I have an Atmos system, I'm intrigued, but suspicious of this German version. Why? Because I'm guessing this is just the 5.1 surround stuffed into an Atmos wrapper and not a proper Atmos encoding. Can anyone provide any personal insight or clarity as to the background on this German version? Thanks!

4. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Oh yes, it did.

Jmac1979 and Gavaxeman like this.
  5. fpas

I don’t have Atmos. But I’ll try and make a comparison soon on the picture quality and the soundmix as far as I’m able to decode it. I have 5.1. and own both versions.

6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Given the history, it's probably unlikely, but I don't doubt that if they ever do get the rights sorted out, there will be a lavish box set presentation of the film, along with other live material (the source concerts that they couldn't include this time, for starters). It's one of the major components of the Prince story.

DarylB and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I'll add to this that most consumers are driven more by convenience than quality, and DVD offered a big step up from VHS in terms of convenience (e.g. not having to fast forward or rewind, taking up less space) and functionality (the capacity for bonus features, commentaries etc.), whereas BluRay or HD-DVD simply offered the same convenience and functionality as DVD with an improvement in quality. And that simply isn't a huge motivator for the mass market, as is demonstrated in the field of music as well. And the early format war killed any initial momentum the upgrade might have had stone dead.

CBackley and fpas like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

I have the German blu-ray box set they did a few months ago. My blu-ray player is the expensive Oppo and I'm too afraid to use a format converter (It's in PAL Region 2) but coincidentally the DVD works just fine. Nicely packaged set.

9. StevenC

I spend a lot of time on this forum... which is why I'm shocked at the steadfast defense of a record label and a project coordinator of a box set.

10. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

You guys are lucky you can order from any Amazon country
    In Australia we are banned by amazon to only be able to order from Amazon au. Amazon au does not list any of the new SOTT reissues.

Warner bros own web site charges $740 for the 13 lp box in Australia. over double the Amazon CA price.

croquetlawns and CBackley like this.
  11. fpas

I have an Oppo too. Right now on my second, which is the 203, the 4K all format player. What are you afraid of?

12. StevenC

I have this one...
    OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players
    I guess I'm not sure about installing anything that would alter format from NTSC Region A to PAL Region B and not have it operate as it should 0n an ongoing basis. $1300 and no longer made. Perhaps I should learn how the format changer technology?

13. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Maybe try this one Prince Sign O' The Times Super Deluxe Edition 180gm vinyl 13 LP + DVD box set at discrepancy-records.com.au
    It says it's au$ 649,99. That's about the same price range as in Europe

14. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

This is true, it is not on the Aussie Amazon yet, but they are often a week or so behind the others (this is what I have noticed with the ONA sets which they STILL have not got in stock) - but once they do list it you can select "other options" and you will see the US one there to select. That is how I have brought the ONA sets.

I am totally in shock of the pricing though - when I saw it on Warners Australia .................this is really for the elitist and sadly will stop it getting into the hands of many dedicated fans particulary in these "Corona Times" we are in right now ......

Turntable likes this.
  15. April Snow

Yes I have seen this too, but you do have to pay upfront and I worry about supply - will they get it?
    The ONA sets are still not available anywhere in Australia..........
    At least Amazon charge when they ship.............

It seems ridiculous to me that in Australia we have to go through so many hoops to purchase things that is for sure..............

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. StevenC

I could buy these in the US and ship them to you, if you can source nice copies of AC/DC albums on Albert Records for a reasonable price. $450 for Powerage? Come on. (I mean as a favor/trade)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Turntable likes this.
  17. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  18. April Snow

Hahhahahaaha quite funny - not sure many of these "younger fans" will be able to afford the releases - hehehehehehheee

19. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

You’re forgetting that the people being targeted here are typically people who would stream music, not buy an expensive boxed set.

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I am not sure why we need to discuss a Paul McCartney release on this thread, but I fully accept that it's my fault for bringing it up in the first place... :cop:

That being said, I am wondering where the assertion that those Oobu Joobus were recorded on "dodgy cassette tape" comes from. Was it supposed to be a joke? [I didnot see no smileyicon! :tsk: ]

You know that the man has had his own professional-level home studio for decades? And that is likely where those tracks were recorded?

If you've got evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see/hear it... [but let's move it to this thread please: Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread ]

Thanks. :righton: :cheers:

Matthew Tate and KirkK like this.
  22. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I only mentioned the McCartney material as context for why I didn't feel a Blu-Ray would likely be necessary in the Prince SOTT release. I didn't see that as a threadcrap. But I'm sorry for any offense. None intended.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Matthew Tate and jmxw like this.
  23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

No more

[​IMG]

More

[​IMG]

Please

24. fpas

Don't want to get too much off topic. I'll try to keep it short. I have the 203 model. There are regionfree modification kits, that are fairly cheap. You can switch back and forth between regions 1 and 2 (which is for Blu-ray) and it would be a few buttons on the remote and turning it off and on. You would only have to do that for Blu-ray. DVD regions are handled automatically somehow, and, as you know, 4K UHD is all region.
    I had the mod installed when I bought it, because most retailers would offer that for slightly higher price. Ever since DVD I have done that from the start. I import a lot from the US, and some labels, like the beautiful Criterion for instance, are region 1 locked. But the kits are not that hard to get by and seemingly for a slightly technical person not that hard to install. There are whole forum threads on the subject, probably here on the SHMF, for sure on blu-ray.com and others. Just google your player combined with 'region free mod'. That way you could watch the SOTT blu-ray from Germany.

25. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Region locking is one thing that puts people off this stuff - including me. I put a record or a CD on from wherever in the world, and it plays, no bother. BluRay is it the right region/NTSC/PAL? (I can never remember whcih one works in the UK), multiple menus to navigate. Is the firmware up-to-date. Meh.