Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

listening now...

I like!!

Ray Cole likes this.
  2. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

peskypesky and Muggles like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite (Riverside) Japanese remastered cd by Joe Gastwirt 1985.
    Early digital release of a classic.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

After the death of Scott LaFaro, it is well known that Bill Evans went into a deep depression and seclusion.

The very first time Bill recorded after Scott's death, was as a sideman for a short session for his friend, the vocalist Mark Murphy, in October 1961.

Though Mark's album "Rah!" was almost completed, Mark and Keepnews convinced Bill to come out for the session, which only included two songs, My Favorite Things and Out of This World.

But Evans does not have a significant solo. This may have been due to the arrangements by Ernie Wilkins, but it may also have been Bill's choice not to solo.

The album, Rah!, is a very important album in both Mark's discography and in the history of jazz vocal. Though Mark already had five LPs, this was his first opportunity to define his approach to jazz vocal integrated with a jazz band, in a style that became the most influential development in jazz singing after Billie Holiday and her disciples. Mark's style has become the model for countless contemporary jazz singers.

But the copyright for My Favorite Things was violated by Mark's new hip jazz lyrics and the "hip version" was yanked from the shelves almost immediately and replaced by a straight version (nowhere near as good). Mark may have anticipated this and had recorded the standard lyrics with Evans on the same date as the hip version. It is the standard lrics, short (and inferior) version that appears on most pressings. The version with Mark's new lyrics was included on Japanese issues and some Euro issues. The estates of Rodgers & Hammerstein, which prohibited alternate lyrics, has not caught up with those issues

I just obtained a test pressing of the recalled version, which was dated just a week after the session.

When Bill Evans returned to performing, Mark Murphy sat in with the trio and sang several songs for the early sets. Unfortunately, these were not recorded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. NP: Jan Garbarek - Belonging [ECM Germany original]

Just picked this up at a local store yesterday.
    I'm a sucker for German pressings of ECM albums, even if the music can be a little 'light fusion' for my taste.

[​IMG]

6. jcarter

jcarter Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll check out Money in the Pocket; always something new to explore it seems...

davidpoole likes this.
  7. jcarter

jcarter Forum Resident

Thank you!

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I find it interesting that despite the hardships faced he is almost always smiling in every photo I have ever seen and there are plenty out there

trd, DR.J and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Too bad Monk didnt come up with that one but he probably thought it stunk

Tribute likes this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this, when @Yesternow is grillin’ fish it makes me think the world will get better eventually... I do mean this. Sometimes the simple rituals are the things that matter most......

11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

No no its July 1 that is the holiday that matters most. You mixed up your dates ...;)

Craig's Story likes this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy birthday to jazz pianist and composer, Andrew Hill – born June 30, 1931. This morning, in celebration of the occasion, I'm spinning a trio of his recent Blue Note reissues . . .

First up, the controversial "warbly" Black Fire . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/2019 Blue Note ‎– ST-84151
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG&JH@CA

Recorded in 1963, but not released until 1966 – a unique session, featuring two bass players . . .

[​IMG]
    1966/2020 Blue Note ‎– ST-84160
    Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG@CA

Maybe saving the best for last, this one is just about as good as avant-garde jazz gets — an extraordinary masterpiece, Andrew Hill is backed by a stellar line-up of musicians on one of my all-time favourite Blue Note sessions . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/2010 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84167, Blue Note ‎– BST 84167
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG&SH@ATM

trd, Maseman66, Starwanderer and 16 others like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Some people are virtually always smiling, even when they talk.

Some people don't trust people who always smile ("Why is he smiling?"). But I enjoy being around them. No scowling, no anger, and usually positive.

Starwanderer and Stu02 like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think the US states in the Northeast, in the Great Lakes basin, and in the Pacific Northwest should join Canada and its system of government and leave the rest of America to argue about their rights. It might be a little difficult at first for the new Canada, but in the end, it will be better for all. Those in the Northern USA, soon to be Canada, who want to emigrate south would be welcome to do so.

15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I’ll join you my friend! :cheers:One of my faves as well. :agree: Another SUPERgroup... you just see those names and know it’s gonna be quality.

NP:

Andrew Hill ‎– Point Of Departure
    [​IMG]
    Label:
    Blue Note ‎– CDP 7 84167 2
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz

Notes
    Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on March 31, 1964.

trd, bluemooze, Maseman66 and 10 others like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nice one! Yes, it's a fantastic record — if I was to make a list it'd easily be in my Top 10 Blue Note's.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Ordered the following today:
    Alfie
    Out of the Cool
    Out of the Afternoon
    Count Basis & the Kansas City 7
    Crescent

18. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

The "European Quartet" is my least favourite Keith Jarrett, and I say that as a massive fan of his. There is, however, a bootleg doing the rounds in the usual places recorded in April 1974 in Hannover (around the same time as this album was recorded) which is a among my favourite.

davidpoole and frightwigwam like this.
  19. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

One of my favorite public saxophone player

Joe Henderson State of the Tenor Live at Village Vanguard. A classic. Excellent.

[​IMG]

trd, bluemooze, vanhooserd and 10 others like this.
  20. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

trd, bluemooze, Starwanderer and 8 others like this.
  21. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

With this album starting a new week has never been so easy!

22. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Speaking of Bandcamp additions. I'm on my back porch enjoying some fresh air and some top-flight contemporary jazz. If you're not blowing more money than you can justify on new jazz on Bandcamp your missing out on some of the best music ever. :edthumbs:

My listening right now: Omer Avital's Qantar quintet's eponymous debut Qantar. Of course, I'm also immediately following it up with their next release, this year's New York Paradise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was surprised that the NYTimes did not publish any obit on Freddy Cole. They like to consider themselves the national record of deaths in jazz.

This has been Freddy's saga. He was largely ignored until after age 70. Then he was able to put together one of the strongest jazz vocal discographies of the last 20 years.

He reminds me of Shirley Horn in a way. Very gentle and understated singing.

I ran a Freddy Cole festival in the house today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MT: Did being Nat’s brother open any doors for you, career-wise?

Cole: There was no golden path laid out for me. I had to do what I had to do. Fortunately, I’ve made it. I didn’t start to make any strides until I proved that I belonged with my peers. My peers started to recognize the work I was doing, that I wasn’t up there on the bandstand trying to mimic my brother. I really started to put something together collectively around 1989. That’s when I started doing a recording per year. Before then, I had recorded in Europe.

MT: Did the record companies ever push you to copy Nat’s style and way of singing?

Cole: You know, I always rebelled against that kind of thing. I never did that. I was never a part of my brother’s name being eight feet tall and my name being two feet tall. I wouldn’t have any part of that.

24. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Liner notes say only time Charles Rouse and Elvin Jones played together. Rouse passed away a few months after recording.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

bluemooze and davidpoole like this.