Why Are Some Artists (and Some Songs) "Criminally Ignored"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Let's face it, I'm sure most of us can think of at least one song or artist that has been "criminally ignored". I got the term from this Four Seasons anthology. An artist like Nick Drake, for example, comes readily to mind. In his case, was it the record labels fault, the press? Were there simply too many other good acts in the early 70's? A band like Big Star I would posit as another example. What, in your opinion, causes this "criminal" ignorance?

2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

At the time
    A Crowded field

3. thnkgreen

Do you think that's still the case today? The market is over saturated?

4. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I actually think most all songs and artists are rightfully appreciated. At least by those who do. It's just those who don't who are the ones that aren't even aware of what they are missing! :p

And I include myself in that, by the way...:D

5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

I would say that today the market is indeed saturated..
    But
    .....exactly what it’s saturated with is up to debate.....:)

6. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

In the case of Big Star, they were on a rinky-dink label that couldn't promote and distribute their work properly. Also, they were never a proper live band that built up a large regional --and dedicated -- following prior to releasing theirnbe albums. Finally, I imagine Chilton's prickly disposition didn't help the cause.

For me, Bill Nelson is the musician whose lack of success has me baffled. He's an ace guitarist and songwriter. He should have been huge, yet he's only experience modest successes here and there and is relegated to cult artist status.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Apparently, Bill’s low-key career made him a lot of money, which he subsequently lost. Not sure about his status today.

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Since the early ought's he's been self-releasing albums like a fiend and now has a massive discography. So lots of music being made, but not much exposure beyond the die-hards.

9. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I attribute it to a lack of exposure to different styles and genres of music. An album or artist that was considered too experimental, sparse or "weird" to their contemporaries may only get noticed by more accepting listeners decades later.
    Many criminally underrated albums, types of music, or genius-level material one wouldn't normally seek out are being uploaded and being discovered on YouTube and popping as recommendations to people.

The journey of discovering new music never ends. Whether it's on YouTube, Wikipedia, social media or finding a record in a bin. That's the beauty of it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Svetonio and Jeff Kent like this.
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Many different criminally ignored artists, just as many various reasons...

Svetonio likes this.
  11. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Love.

They're not quite obscure, but they're really only known by hardcore rock fans (err - not, fans of hardcore rock), and even then, Forever Changes is usually the first and last album many seem to have any interest in, which is a shame, given how extraordinary both Da Capo and Four Sail are. Their debut's pretty good too.

Spirit are also pretty cool. I've only heard their first album, but it's great.
    Funkadelic, again, aren't exactly obscure, but they deserve more recognition I reckon.

CliffL, Man at C&A, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It just happens that way sometimes. I mean, sure, Big Star should've been huge, but the industry failed them. Other records are amazing but are just ahead of (or behind) their time. I know a lot of INXS fans name Welcome To Wherever You Are as a favorite album, and a lot of much maligned-but-also-loved rock/metal bands of the 80's released great albums in the early 90's that were "criminally ignored," in many cases shedding the tropes of the 'hair metal' genre and releasing excellent hard rock, but their commercial window had closed.

Conversely, you have albums like Lucinda Williams' 1988 self-titled, or the classic Jayhawks records, which were perfect, quintessential Americana records that unfortunately were released before "Americana" was a proper genre that had a sizable audience or road to wider exposure. Betty Davis' early 70's funk records were perhaps decades ahead of their time. It's just how it is.

On the other hand, the rise of streaming and digital distribution means no album needs to linger in obscurity. The music available to us can be overwhelming, but at least availability is no longer the barrier to finding lost classics.

13. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Lack of proper distribution, lack of proper promotion, lack of live performances to create fans, and lack of airplay for the above reasons. Then when an album already isn’t selling well because of those reasons, the label doesn’t press as many copies and less people hear it. Then years later people like us discover how good the music is but it’s too late to become mainstream

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

If this is the case , may I suggest you acquaint yourself with ' 12 Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus '. Great album.

15. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Thank you. Will do.

16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Grace Jones

Echo and Sean like this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Too many people like crap?

18. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Very simple answer. The cream always rises to the top.

Everything else does not.

19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's just the way it goes. Being great is no guarantee of success.

20. thnkgreen

I think a lot of people would disagree with your comment. It's not that simple. Some truly great artists have been screwed over royally by the 'industry'.

21. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Corporate Radio Still Sucks

22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Lack of exposure

Not only that, many artists simply get forgotten over time - for some reason they become a relative unknown despite having large success decades earlier, I think my biggest one has to be Ultravox. Had multiple singles, sold millions of records, and have some of the biggest indie cred period in the post punk scene

But, they might as well not exist and I have no idea why. Whether it be the ground breaking early albums or the wonderful best in class synth pop albums.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You can set your watch to Big Star in every "underrated?" thread.

4-2-7 likes this.
  24. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Let me tell you right now, I am not about to have a stroke and all I know about you is that you made an ignorant and inappropriate post on this forum and that you should go to a forum where your posts will be very welcomed .
    You can argue to the ends of the earth but your post will always remain the snide racist nastiness it was meant to be .

tkl7 and Beamish13 like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If these are the offenses you tend to categorize as "criminally ignored", then you belong on a forum that doesn't allow you to bring up politics...:doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.