Discogs seller ratings. Are you honest?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by domesticmachine, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum Thread Starter

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Been buying some more LPs via Discogs lately as most stores in my city are closed for browsing. I’ve been alarmed lately at the mis-ratings of discs I get.

5-6 straight M or NM listings purchased (usually sealed or “like new”) only to get them and have seam splits, major shelf wear, heavily dinged corners or in one sellers case two warped 12” that are full of noise. Fairly noticeable stuff that you might mention in a listing.

Seriously, I know way bigger issues on Earth right now to get upset over dinged corners and I respect anyone who is willing to set foot inside a post office at this time so some credit must be given there but please just LIST YOUR LPs ACCURATELY!

end rant.

So do you rate sellers without letting them know beforehand? Give them a chance to explain? I’m sick of small refunds. I want the LP in the condition you listed it at the price you listed it for! Keep in mind I’m not talking skips on a sealed record or even surface noise on a VG+ that should have been play tested.

I’m just going to start calling them in the ratings like I see them. Anyone take this approach? If I don’t it’s just gonna be more like eBay if it already hasn’t.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    E.Baba, Neonbeam and lightbulb like this.
  2. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

3. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Not only do I list my items conservatively I also send the prospective buyer an mp3 and photos before I’ll accept their payment. There are no surprises. On the other end, I just bought an album that was listed as NM. It wasn’t, it was full of surface noise and had clicks and pops. There was also writing on the jacket! I complained. They offered me half my money back which I accepted. It wasn’t worth the cost of return shipping. I did not give them any rating. I’m sick of people who don’t play grade their vinyl.

4. domesticmachine

Yeah I’m just wondering how to honestly rate folks who are basically lying. In a constructive way. Wondering what others do.

I almost feel like not giving a rating is an easy way out though right? Not that this hasn’t been my MO until now. I’m sick of it.

5. Lots of gross inaccuracies on condition, and from sellers that are well rated. Many times I have wound up in a stand off where they refund something, and we agree not to rate each other.

If I am paying a premium I want accurate condition ratings and well packed. If it is under $10, lots of leeway; thing is, too many $10 albums are $15- $25 on Discogs.

6. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have had several Discogs purchases that were not what was listed. Items listed as original pressing with a certain catalog number turn out to be a different item when I receive. When I email the seller, I get a reply like "sorry, I didn't notice that". At least with eBay you get to see the actual item you are buying.

Scott

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

IMO NM means NM. I will demand a refund if it's not.
    I won't even buy from sellers who advertised unsealed records as Mint - if they're doing this, you know they're full of s$%# and probably not to be trusted on much else.

Strat-Mangler and Neonbeam like this.
  8. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Since not everyone rates comdition if used revords the same way i rarely buy used records online. I prefer new anyways that way i don't have to clean them. Well over half the record sellers ive dealt with were honest about rating condition. Ive been burned a few times in the past.

9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Do you really think someone selling lots of records is going to play grade them? Let alone wash them or anything prior to a sale. If it looks V++, then it is, washing and playing it would be in the buyers ball park. For one thing and this goes for new records also they got to get played a few times with your cartridge and they will come around and sound better. I hear all to often people buying records complain about them, but they come to a conclusion on the very first play.

Then the fact not everyones equipment is the same, I can play a record on my setup and not hear a pop, on yours it could sound really bad. And by the way, I don't even call a sealed record mint, records are not mint, they are merrily as factory delivered, or V++. Buyers hear the word mint and they expect perfect, and thats not the case with records.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Neonbeam likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I've had that experience multiple times recently when "Near Mint" or "unplayed looking records" arrived in a condition that I didn't find acceptable. Normally I send the stuff back and give the seller either a neutral or no rating. Last time this happened I got an unexpected full refund and the record for free so that guy got a positive review even though he didn't find it necessary to mention a light waterdamage on the sleeve.

On the other hand my profile got ruined by a bloke who left the vinyl in the sleeve causing severe double seam split. His offer: 5€ refund or a return with me paying the postage. I won the PayPal case, he had to pay postage but his negative review stays. And blocks me from certain transactions because I don't "meet the sellers standards". Discogs sucks...

zphage and domesticmachine like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Mint" or "Near Mint" are probably the two most misused terms in record collecting. :wantsome:
    True but how can a record described as "unplayed" arrive covered in dust and fingerprints? And I am not talking about an album pressed by GZ Vinyl! :unhunh:

Some sellers simply don't have especially high quality standards......

domesticmachine and 4-2-7 like this.
  12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I've only gotten thoroughly, maliciously ripped off a few times - one guy told me to get insurance and then deliberately sent me a record that was broken in half - but it happens so seldom, I don't even bother with a bad review. People like that tend to disappear and reappear under different aliases all the time anyway. Thankfully, it's been pretty rare. Most collector sellers are good Joe's and Josephines.

domesticmachine and 4-2-7 like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Here's the way I do it.

1. Ask sellers to confirm it's the correct pressing by requesting the matrix info for both sides.
    2. Ask sellers to confirm the condition of both jacket and record.
    2a. (Optional) For expensive records, I request a play-grade.
    3. If after all this, I still receive misgraded items, I give the seller the chance to pay for return shipping.
    4. I leave appropriate feedback.

My latest transaction involved a new seller to Discogs who after copying/pasting the matrix info from the Discogs page, sent me an entirely other pressing. He thankfully refunded me fully (including shipping fees from Australia) and I left positive feedback stating he sent me the wrong album but made it right in the end... which is accurate.

It's been a while since I've posted a negative feedback entry but I wouldn't hesitate doing so if justified. Before I would do so, I would give the seller a chance to do the right thing. If he opts not to, I'd have no remorse in posting a factual account of what transpired. That's what the feedback system is for, really.

cporcp and domesticmachine like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Pretty much uncalled for as it's a valid complaint. Also, what is irritating to you might not be for someone else. Pretty dismissive to just post a link like this.

PayPal offers a program whereby shipping fees can be refunded for up to (I believe) 6 transaction/year for up to $25 each time. It's free will allow you to not be penalized a single cent for careless sellers' practices.

You should always leave feedback, even if neutral. No way for anyone else to be alerted of someone's shenanigans otherwise.

Record condition is nearly impossible to photograph accurately and would require skills or equipment most don't have. Frankly, most people already have quite a difficult time not posting blurry pics. They take one pic, don't even check how it looks, and post it.

Really not worth having a pic at all when you can't verify how a record plays. Only the jacket's condition can occasionally be verified that way, assuming a good enough pic is provided.

eddiel likes this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you or anyone is thinking of doing this, don't, as all your hard work to leave honest feedback will be wasted. The seller will ask for Discogs to remove the feedback and it will be removed since you did not give the seller a chance to make things right.

Always contact the seller first, then leave feedback.

16. Or just walk away from using Discogs, eBay, etc., support your local stores.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I try and buy local as much as possible but there are some records that local stores won't get so Discogs and eBay remain options and I expect that will continue to be the case. I consider myself lucky with respect to good local shops but there are a lot of people who are not in that position.

18. Strat-Mangler

Illogical conclusion. Shall I tell the thousands who has a bad experience in a record store to shun them all in favor of online platforms?

eddiel and GentleSenator like this.
  19. Not sure logic is involved. "thousands" what is your source for that? People go and do what/where they get/have best results/experiences. I would be very impressed if your word or mine could influence "thousands" to do anything.

20. domesticmachine

I’ve been supporting my local shops through the pandemic either with curbside pickup or mail order. That being said I like to buy from Discogs as there’s always wishlist items large and small I’ve never seen in the wild.

I also like the ability to shop for a particular edition. I think there’s room for both Discogs and local stores, especially as most Discogs sellers are someone’s local shop. Right now it’s the only way for some local shops to stay afloat.

I appreciate the thoughts and comments, keep em coming! Reading the posts today I’ve learned a lot about the different useful ways people shop Discogs to make sure they receive the expected product. Thanks!

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this and nothing more than this. that's their policy.

22. I learned this with eBay, winning PayPal, but losing reputation. Hence, now I endorse, the standoff, of taking some discount, and neither rating the other.

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Got fed up with entering into 'discussions' at one point so I just left straight feedback as warranted.
    It got removed by Discogs admin because I did not consult the seller first !
    So.... no, the feedback isn't fully accurate.

zphage likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Did you post negative review on his profile indicating what transpired? You must have very few ratings if one single review was enough to tip the percentage that far off that you're unable to buy from certain sellers.

Myself, I set it to the maximum allowed percentage which is 90%. It allows me to prevent orders mostly from time-wasters and those who won't take the transaction seriously. So far, it's worked wonders.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

That's their policy and on you for not following the rules. You might dislike it but I, for one, am sick of knee-jerk reactions.

There are plenty of sellers who overgrade but there are also plenty of buyers who don't even bother sending a message to the seller indicating an issue and far too willing to tarnish someone's reputation with a few clicks of the mouse.

eddiel and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.