The Blues aspect of Kenny Burrell

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LPhound15, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been getting into Kenny Burrell lately, what an incredible musician with beautiful tones.

Love midnight blue and his album with John coltrane. Does anyone have any other recommendations for albums that showcase the blues aspect of his style, aside from midnight blue.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Both Jimmie & Stevie Ray Vaughan have cited that album as essential to their listening & learning process.

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Bluesy Burrell.

[​IMG]

4. LPhound15

That's part of how I discovered him, listening to "chitlins con carne" off The Sky is Crying, and wondering who did the original.

5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Soul Call

[​IMG]

ztroika, fenderesq, 5-String and 8 others like this.
  6. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Saw a decently priced collection of some of his 60's works? Is it worth going back and picking up?

7. Kingsley Fats

Maybe you should also try Grant Green

8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

If you like Organ try his albums as sideman for Jack McDuff, Jimmy Smith and one I really appreciate by Leo Wright called Soul Talk.
    There is also Blues And The Common Ground and Asphalt Canyon on Verve.
    It's probably necessary to acknowledge that with players like Kenny Burrell and Grant Green, early Benson and Pat Martino etc,Blues is part of a whole approach that co-exists within a wider jazz language imo.

9. LPhound15

Will do, I'd already discovered Jimmy Smith and his album midnight special through looking at Kenny. (As an aside note, it also made me realize just how influenced Gregg Allman was by Jimmy).

John Fell and blutiga like this.
  10. Kingsley Fats

Jimmy Smith could well be regarded as the the Jimi Hendrix of the hammond organ. His influence flows through almost everybody that played the instrument.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG][​IMG]
    You might try this one. Part of this session features Jack McDuff on organ.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Although this session has mostly standards, it is a live trio session and I have really been digging it lately.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG][​IMG]
    If you can track down this 2 cd set, it contains much of his early Blue Note material including his complete K.B. Blues album.

Introducing Kenny Burrell (Disc 1, #1-7)
    Kenny Burrell Volume 2 (Disc 1, #8-9; Disc 2 #1-4 and 6)
    K. B. Blues (Disc 2, #7-11) (1979, Blue Note Japan, GXF-3052)
    The album also features the outtake "My Heart Stood Still", originally appeared on the hard to find Swingin' (GXF-3070)

Mark J, RiRiIII, Bananas&blow and 3 others like this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Kenny Burrell = good ****

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    @LPhound15 This a really good sampler of Kenny Burrell's earlier Blue Note material. He returned to the label later in his career but no material from that period is included. He selected his favorites and sequenced this compilation himself. It also includes a couple of Jimmy Smith tracks which feature him. Many of these tracks were played live throughout his career.

Bananas&blow and LPhound15 like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Don't forget about Jimmy Smith's "Back At The Chicken Shack", easily my favorite from him.

Also as a sideman and a bit more Soul, but Stanley Turrentine's "Jubilee Shout!!!" is an excellent listen. And one of my current favorites by Kenny is the MMJ of "Freedom", and amazing record, that is well worth listening to even if the MMJ price is a bit much.

LPhound15, John Fell and Fischman like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The late 60s Cadet albums are all over the map but there;s some very nice stuff on them. Despite the title this really falls more into the "mod jazz" spectrum.

Bananas&blow, LPhound15 and John Fell like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Jimmy Smith's Six Views of the Blues is another blues oriented date with Kenny Burrell.

19. LPhound15

Thank you all, I will check all this out!

John Fell likes this.
  20. LPhound15

have since checked out GG, really like him just as much. His debut blue note is awesome, along with idle moments. Thanks for the recommendation

blutiga and Kingsley Fats like this.
  21. LPhound15

Lol, Sadly all the MMJ prices are “a bit much”. I could stomach $75 a record, but they seem to sell out too quick to buy, and next thing you know they’re $300 on eBay. I’d love to have their blue train release

blutiga, E.Baba and scotti like this.
  22. LPhound15

Been listening to this, it’s awesome as well.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  23. Kingsley Fats

I'm a cd person who gave up vinyl decades ago.
    I've picked up almost all of the Grant Green & many of the Jimmy Smith CD's plus other assorted artists from a local shop who was selling them new for $10 each which was about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of "normal" cd's. Almost all of my jazz cd's came from that shop, of course, sadly, now long closed.

24. Kingsley Fats

I first heard Grant Green on an Ike Quebec album. I have since discovered many, many albums & artists by chasing his discography as a sideman.

blutiga and scotti like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Blue & Sentimental"? What a fantastic record! And not forgetting Ike guesting on "Born to Be Blue" and the much neglected "The Latin Bit". A big fan of Mr. Burrell and no disrespect, but he is not in the same league as Grant Green, at least to my ears.

blutiga and Kingsley Fats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.