Queen - The Game - 40 years old!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anthrax, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today marks the 40th anniversary of this classic Queen platter, The Game!

[​IMG]

Time to celebrate! Tell us all what you think about it, 40 years on. Did you dislike it at first but it grew on you? Did you use to like it but now you can't stand it anymore? Share your personal history with this album and any memories you think worth sharing, especially if you saw them live around this time!

Play The Game!

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

WOW!! 40 years ago for Queen The Game.
    Hard to believe.

Zongadude, Jarleboy, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Didn’t buy it for 20 years, so can’t tell you what I thought when it was released. Good album though. I have the Japanese SACD now.

Here’s the Record Mirror review from June 1980.

[​IMG]

Natural E, Jarleboy, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  5. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

I know it's just a simple jam, but Dragon Attack may be one of the best things Queen ever did. It's irresistible.

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The crazy little thing is I still clearly remember buying the album 4 decades later.

Biscuit Warehouse and hi_watt like this.
  7. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Play The Game deserves so much more recognition than it gets. Definitely one of the later highlights of Freddie's songwriting for me.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Incredible tune with bodacious harmonies.

9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Wow. I was 9 when it came out, and it was a very important and loved record for me - a formative influence in my life long love of music. I got the cassette for my birthday from my best friend, and remember Another One Bites The Dust being played all the time, including at the local roller rink. Remember those days? I listened to it again recently and it still holds up for me.

M321115, CDFanatic, Lonecat and 3 others like this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Great album but wow it makes me feel old !
    Probably because I am old.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Queens first synth foray? I believe.

12. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Best album ever!!. Remember, it's Queen friend!!. As fresh as it appeared 40 years ago according to my ears!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have always had a strange relationship with this album.
    I do like it, there is too much good stuff on here for me not to, but it has a couple of dud tracks for me.
    So I think it is an excellent album, but not quite top tier Queen.
    Having said that though this album contains some real classic Queen songs.
    Play the game - what a song.
    Another one bites the dust - even having been played to death, it is still a great track.
    Save me - among the bands best tracks
    Dragon Attack - such a great groove
    Crazy little thing - fun bit of fifties type rock and roll

It is an excellent album, with a couple of tracks I'm not fond of.
    The 5.1 mix is excellent also

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

My dad brought this home on 8-track after hearing it playing in the record store. Extremely out of character purchase for him :laugh:
    My brothers and I loved it. It has remained my favorite Queen album to this day.

15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Easy on my top 5 of the band, great album!

Psychedelic Good Trip and Binni like this.
  16. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I saw them only once... on this tour, almost 40 years ago now... whoa!

17. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

A great album and an unexpected treat. I like the variety on the record.

18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

That's a great pic. It would have made a very good cover shot.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There are a couple of tracks I find a little dreary but the rest are strong enough for me to regard this album as a top three Queen effort.

20. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see them twice. Once pre-Bohemian Rhapsody, second time when they were huge and touring News Of The World. Both times amazing in very different ways. What a great band! Love The Game! :agree:

21. The Game is my favorite Queen album & "Dragon Attack" my favorite Queen track.

14 y.o. me bought this July 1980 while visiting my brother in the city to attend my 1st concert (Cheap Trick w/ Loverboy). When I popped The Game on his stereo & the synths whooshed, his roommate asked wth is this? And informed me I'd have been better served buying some Elvis Costello. I wasn't ready yet for Elvis Costello but eventually liked him more than Queen.

(As an added story on that same trip to the city, I wanted to buy Led Zeppelin but was bummed because I couldn't find it. When my brother showed me LZ IV, I felt foolish because I thought it was a Jethro Tull album. I thought the character on the cover carrying sticks looked like what a guy named Jethro Tull might look like.)

Zongadude, Queezma, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  22. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Never much liked this the fist sell out album for me and for years it sat on the shelf.

Then at the start of the century the 5.1 mix came out and I finally gained an appreciation for the album.

Still think the best song they did at this time was 'A Human body' relegated to a b-side. And 'Beautiful Day' which layer unfinished for for years and one of a handful of highlights spread across the bonus EPs when universal took over the catalog.

johnsiddique likes this.
  23. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Such a brilliant track. Was just listening to it today in the car. Should have been on the album or on Roger’s Fun in Space LP to me it sounds like something more from there... though the backing vox are Freddie and the band of course. Great song

privit1 and Orthogonian Blues like this.
  24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Came out a few months before I was born. But up there with my favorite Queen albums.

First album with Mack at Musicland. They got some great sounds on this album - best Queen album for sonics, definitely.

25. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I remember listening to it on headphones at the end of the day at work. I Need Your Lovin’ was playin. Came to the Hit Me part. That was the only part of the song I blurted out loud. Jumped by 3 guys. They never missed an opportunity. Loved the album. Played it a Lot back in the day.

primejive likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.