Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Finally sat down (with a pint) and put on the Tone Poet of Money Jungle. Having never heard this one before, and having read countless poor reviews of the sound quality, I honestly was pleased with the sound- I suppose it helps going in with low expectations. Yes, it does sound like a jazz record played on AM radio, but the album itself- as is always the disclaimer for the panning reviews- is tremendous. Man, (no surprise here) Mingus is just killing it, especially on the first track. And as was discussed elsewhere, its really cool hearing Sir Duke slip out into the ether with a more experimental approach.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

3. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Next up from my Bandcamp additions, are several albums by Irreversible Entanglements. If the idea of Pharaoh Sanders + AEC + Mingus's Fables of Faubus appeals to you, do yourself a favor and at least stream some of these beauties. Timely music as well.

First up is Irreversible Entanglements followed by Irreversible In Italy and Irreversible In Berlin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Listened to side 1 of Hank Mobley-Poppin (Tone Poet) on Saturday. I have a few Bobby Hutcherson Conesuier CDs on the way in the mail. Really thinking about getting the Tone Poet vinyl record of Grant Green Nigeria.

5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Unfortunately FedEx arrived at 5:00PM so my listening session was short. I run all records through my UCM, which took another 50 minutes or so. Then there is that whole pesky food thing. Anyway I am three albums in and you are right about a treat!. Most of my previous listening to Trio sides were post 1942. There are some VERY interesting differences.

First of all I had never heard material with Oscar Moore playing standard guitar. Songs I am familiar with from later edition sides sound a lot different. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it may be the standard rhythm guitar tracks sound a little choppy and staccato compared to the electric rhythm guitar which seems a little more smooth and flowing. I found it a little jarring at first, but now I am used to it and appreciate them in their own right.

The second thing that stands out is how many of the earlier trio songs feature 3 part harmonies for all of the vocals throughout the entire song. What amazes me is how tight it is. There is a lot of scat singing, but it is 3 part scat singing and they are very tight. There must have been a lot of rehearsing for something that in theory is improvised but yet sounds this tight.

It seems like these pre-Capitol tunes feature a lot more of Nat's piano work. Until the book mentioned it I had never noticed Nat's Art Tatum influence. But it is unmistakable.

I still have 7 disks of pleasure awaiting me. I can hardly wait.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Grant Green
    Grant’s First Stand
    [​IMG]

BN80 reissue

7. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

8. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

LOVE those photos!

I did a lot of jazz photography my last year in NYC. It was such a blast.

9. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Paul Desmond: Desmond Blue

[​IMG]

10. Berthold

Chet Baker & Paul Desmond: Together

[​IMG]

11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I don't often post on here but I played these three this morning and think they deserve a mention

LOVE Charlie Rouse's work with Monk, but also been enjoying his own albums, especially this one

[​IMG]

And this is a cracker from Sonny Stitt as well....

[​IMG]

And this beautiful album from Johnny Hodges....

[​IMG]

12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I thought it was the other way around...
    When my day is awful I come here and see you spinning some Jazz... it calms me and makes me think things will get better eventually...
    Thanks for this.

Edit:
    Someone was talking about discovering ESP the other day. He mentioned a couple of tracks that are also favorites of mine from that album.
    Today I'll play Water Babies. Most won't think it's a good suggestion for a follow-up. But it was the first to come to mind when I saw that post. And boy... would he be surprised when it gets to the electric tracks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  13. [​IMG]

Trav'lin' Light | The Jimmy Giuffre 3 (Atlantic) CD remaster
    with
    Jimmy Giuffre (baritone sax/clarinet/tenor sax) Bob Brookmeyer (trombone) & Jim Hall (guitar)

Recorded 1958. 24-bit CD remaster issued via Warner 1000 Best Collection series.

Another delightful Jimmy Giuffre album!

14. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Got some pool time in yesterday afternoon, though it was little cloudier and cooler than I expected and the water was only 80 degrees (27 C). Expecting more heat and humidity today so more of the same lazy days of summer behavior from me, after I do some tax work.

First time listen to this one Some nice, swinging Herb Ellis on guitar.
    [​IMG]

Ray Brown ‎– Bass Hit!

Tracklist
    1 Blues For Sylvia 5:00
    2 All Of You 3:56
    3 Everything I Have Is Yours 4:24
    4 Will You Still Be Mine? 3:39
    5 Little Toe 4:48
    6 Alone Together 4:43
    7 Solo For Unaccompanied Bass 2:26
    8 My Foolish Heart 4:05
    9 Blues For Lorraine 3:17
    10 After You've Gone 2:43
    11 After You've Gone 2:48
    12 After You've Gone 2:49
    13 After You've Gone 2:44

Credits

Notes
    A limited-edition reissue of a rare LP.
    First time on CD.
    Only 6500 copies pressed worldwide

Tracks 10 to 13, previously unissued bonus tracks.

8-panel cardboard gatefold sleeve with additional 12-page booklet.

15. Berthold

Paul Desmond Quartet & Jim Hall #4

[​IMG]

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I recently ordered a copy of Milt Jacksons Vibrations on CD and when it came it all looked perfect, however when I played the disc this was the album on it - seems its a factory error.....needless to say I ripped it to my Itunes before returning to have a listen (which I have yet to do) and see if I want to purchase a copy as I am not familiar with it.

17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room (Verve UCCU-40018)

It was the first album where Krall recorded something other than standards with songs from Tom Waits (great version of Temptation), Joni Mitchell and her husband Elvis Costello.

Stellar band with Christian McBride and John Clayton on bass, Jeff Hamilton and Peter Erskine on drums and Anthony Wilson on guitar.

This Platinum SHM-CD is one of the best sounding CD I ever heard.

[​IMG]

jcarter, Six String, Mike6565 and 3 others like this.
  18. I can't seem to get enough Jimmy Giuffre this week!

[​IMG]

The Jimmy Giuffre 3 (Atlantic) CD 24-bit remaster
    Recorded 1956. 24-bit remastered CD issued via Warner 1000 Best Collection series.

I first heard this superb music on a cloned Avid Jazz cheapo version. This Atlantic CD issue sounds amazing - even more so when I consider how dreadful and flat sounding the Avid Jazz clone was.

19. Berthold

Paul Desmond: In Toronto 1975 #4

[​IMG]

20. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

This is a great set, worth it just for Ed Bickert!

Six String and Berthold like this.
  21. Another, older Mr Desmond recording - this one recorded live with Mr Brubeck > The Jazz Beat

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

She has so many more albums the that may be more popular than this but The Girl In The Other Room is my favorite.

dennis the menace likes this.
  23. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

New Deep Discount find
    The Young-Holt unlimited- the beat goes on
    [​IMG]

24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - Al Love Supreme (Impulse! UCCI-40011)

Finally received this yesterday, from the second "batch" of Impulse! MQA/UHQCDs from CDJapan.

Sounds extremely good, maybe the best version of A Love Supreme I heard. Can`t wait for Crescent and Live At Birdland.

[​IMG]

25. Berthold

Paul Desmond: Glad To Be Unhappy

[​IMG]

Irish51, Xelfo, Starwanderer and 7 others like this.