"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Most likely done 'by design'!
    They (He) knows some fans like one style, others like the other style, and some people just want more RESIDENTS!!!

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

What's with the premiere thing, didn't we already hear this? I remember playing it from a link here a day or two ago...

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  3. vince

Just a little hype,,,and I mean 'LITTLE"!
    There were only 30 of us, watching it 'premiere'....

whatprogress and bzfgt like this.
  4. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

Buster Stabs Big Bubbles! Forum Resident

I have to wonder, maybe the version of the singing Resident we see in the "Bury my Bone" video will be the version we will see in the Dog Stab tour? It would make sense, at least more sense than bringing back the Randy persona, since the Randy, Chuck & Bob Trilogy is over.

It would also be cool if the performance included individuals wearing suits, ties, and dog masks, and then slowly started stripping down to what they were wearing in the video.

Also, the video reminds me a bit of the video for "Rushing Like a Banshee".

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Randy is somewhat active on their Facebook group.

6. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

The thing I noticed about the In Between Dreams tour (at least the one I attended) was that there wasn't any commentary during the show. They played Residents songs and showed some video segments in-between some of the songs. This is different than the Randy Chuck & Bob performances where it seems like there was more direct storytelling/interaction with the audience.

I feel like since the Dog Stab tour is so closely linked to Alvin Snow/Dyin' Dog, there will probably do some kind of engagement with the audience. The question still is, who will be performing the songs on stage lore-wise. Of course, it's going to be the same physical human being, but I wonder whether they'll bring "Randy" back, or maybe the new character from the "Bury my Bone" video. Or maybe they could even bring some guests? Part of me would love to see a Residents show with the vibe of a Parliament-Funkadelic show, where there are like 15+ people on stage dancing and grooving all at once.

7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The video segments from IBD weren’t too dissimilar to what they did on the Talking Light tour, but your point is well taken.

I don’t know what their future plans are but they are aging so I hope they’re able to tour within the next year or so.

8. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

The new video looks like it was shot up on the trails in The Presidio in SF.

Scope J likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

vince likes this.
  10. Scope J

11. Scope J

[​IMG]

vince likes this.
  12. Scope J

13. vince

Just got HF's "Killing Time";
    nice and spooky!

Scope J likes this.
  14. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Barnyard Symphony and Mr. H like this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It’s been getting increasingly more ridiculous with the Residents for a long time.

Sytze likes this.
  16. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

I have a question...I was just looking at the TVTropes article for The Residents and I saw this:

The Residents / Trivia - TV Tropes
    "Randy featured in an educational rap song in the 1990s, under the name Seymour Hodges. He played the role of a creepy stranger."

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, where can this rap song be found? Also, I'm assuming educational as in for children (maybe teaching them about stranger danger), and rap as in actually a hip-hop song? This would be really cool to hear, especially since I don't know of any other Residents tracks that could be considered rap/hip-hop.

17. Scope J

The Foo Foo Heads / Penn Jillette - 2 Cool Songs For Kids

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    vince, nje50, whatprogress and 2 others like this.
  18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Agreed. I'm in it for the music, which is hard enough to stay up-to-date with as it is. Don't need special editions or pressings, unless it's the only available format.

vince and Mr. H like this.
  19. Buster Stabs Big Bubbles!

This is seriously amazing, thanks for linking.
    Randy's voice and personality works perfectly with this genre, I really hope they consider doing a whole album full of tracks like this.

Scope J likes this.
  20. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

I don't think they're interested in doing rap pastiches anymore cause rap isn't really fun to mock these days. But they do reveal a wish to dabble in the genre during the Demons Dance Alone tour, so you can never be sure. I also remember Randy trying to start a rap persona that didn't go anywhere.

I honestly don't even pay attention to anything released on Psychofon. That stuff is for vinyl fetishists and rich collectors with plenty of money to throw away. I'm glad none of the music released there is exclusive (except for that Intruder single... Intruders is like my least favorite Residents album but I'm still darn curious about that "Voodoo Doll" demo...)

vince and octophone like this.
  21. Hooray! The Residents are back. I love "Bury My Bone" and the video. My hope is restored. Now if that darn vinyl wasn't so spendy. Fifty to one hundred dollars for an ep?

vince and acetboy like this.
  22. Scope J

23. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

^^^

Cool! Actually, that label's Bandcamp is really interesting but that's a slice o' wax I assumed I'd never hear.

24. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

25. Scope J

Cap'n Doc interview comin' up on 7 July

Home Page

vince likes this.