What is your "dream" system...realistic, may one day own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Not talking about someone giving you a big load of cash...what would you like to see your system be made up of one day? Are you one of the lucky ones to already be at that point?

Just wondering...

displayname likes this.
  2. BRick

BRick Forum Resident

Not entirely sure, but it will have active speakers and some kind of DSP. :)

Chilli, Mike-48, Rick58 and 1 other person like this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Pretty modest system. My a-s2100 through a pair of new JBL L100s. Feed by a Marantz SA10 and a Technics SL1200GR. Cartridge TBD. What really makes it my dream system will be the listening room. A nice, decent size, dedicated room in the Catalina Foothills outside of Tucson AZ.

Raiderdave, Jacob29, jusbe and 7 others like this.
  4. siebrand

siebrand music lover

the various brands I don't know, and therefore not even the models.
    One thing is certain, however: there will be, in my house, as long as I am alive, always an amplifier, a CD player, a BR player, a couple of speakers and a headset.

If tomorrow I can no longer afford devices of a certain quality, OK, I would adapt, but this triptych <ampli-CDP-speakers> will always be there.
    (and thousands of CD's, too!)

jusbe, Monty12 and timind like this.
  5. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

My current turntable fits my need perfectly at the moment, but one day I really want to get a nice condition Technics SL-1210 MK2 if possible and give it all the necessary KAB mods to give it even better performance. I think it'll be my end game turntable. Not sure about speakers or amps because there are so many options like turntables, but I'll get there eventually.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Monty12, clhboa and Floyd Crazy like this.
  6. james

james Summon The Queen

I would like to have heard Art Dudley's EMT/301/Shindo/Devore or Altec setup.

bhazen, jusbe, Monty12 and 4 others like this.
  7. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

After listening to the combination at CAF last fall, I'd really love to end up with a system consisting of a Luxman tube preamp (CL-1000) and tube amp (MQ-300) and some Devore Orangutan speakers. I don't expect I'll ever be able to get the Reference level model but I think I'd be happy with the O96 with that Luxman combo.

I can think of a few combinations that would be in that same price range that I'd be really happy with to be quite honest.

fcallington and james like this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Lurching towards changing amps/speakers ... but current system is OK.

Denon DL-160 cart (damn nice sounding for the $$$, don't know why it's discontinued)
    Thorens TD-145 TT (want to have refurbed)
    Cambridge 840C CD Player (external inputs to DAC, use with other digital sources)
    Synergistic Research Looking Glass Phase II (840C to P 7)
    Parasound P 7 preamp (with Shunyata Venom 3 power cord)
    Parasound A21 amp (will hopefully get soon)
    Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cables (excellent, recommended)
    Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers (currently own but were in separate surround system)
    Wharfedale Lintons (potential speakers to try sometime)
    Magnepan .7 (w/ bass panels) or 1.7i (potential speakers to try sometime)

Major System Upgrade:
    Denon DL-160 cart
    Thorens TD-145 TT
    Cambridge 840C CD Player
    Parasound P 7 preamp
    Kii Three (IF I do this, of course, would then want to investigate upgrading all of the above!)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Bill Why Man likes this.
  9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Audio Research VSi75 amp, ProAc Response D48R speakers, and acoustic panels.

BD2665 and Rick58 like this.
  10. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I have attained my plausible 'dream system'. It sounds great, but, as 'upgraditis' never sleeps and I'm embarking on a downsizing arc, I'm looking towards towards a jewel box system- a high end single box solution (eg Arcam, Naim, Divialet) and some feisty monitors, something like a pair of Magico Minis. Maximum bounce to the ounce.

JayB, timind, Dale A B and 4 others like this.
  11. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think my dream system still hasn't been released yet, because new products always create new dream systems. Plus there are too many combos of things to pair up to really settle on one dream system. I'll always want to try different things.

But things that feel somewhat in reach that I would like to own at some point as part of an obtainable/plausible dream system...
    Pontus or Venus DAC from Danafrips
    Mastersound 845 Compact amp
    Norma Revo Amp (separates maybe from the used market)
    VPI Prime Signature & Technics 1200G at different points
    Sutherland Duo
    Primaluna EVA 400
    Rosso Fiorentino Siena (It'd have to be used)
    Klipsch La Scala + JL Audio Subs
    Devor O/96 (used)
    At least 3-4 sets of headphones and 1-2 headphone amps
    Full loom of matching cables from power plug to speakers

Edit - and a properly treated room! That's a big one. Dedicated and treated room.

Pythonman and IGD Positive like this.
  12. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Yeah I meant to put that in my post as well but my (hopefully realistic) dream is to be able to build out a dedicated listening space. I'm looking to buy myself a house in the next few years and I'd like to be able to find one that had a space that would work to convert into my dedicated listening room or maybe build a custom home with a space in mind for that. If I could do that, I'd be perfectly happy with my current system plus some Spendor D9.2 and I'd be set for a very, very long time.

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Two years ago we moved into a home with a large finished basement. Although it wasn't originally in the plans, the basement room has become my dedicated listening space. I can do whatever I want with the space, and I have. As for gear, I have reached my goal.

After trying to get along with full-range tower speakers, I have decided to stick with two-way speakers and subwoofer(s). It's the sound I love and am sticking with. Check my profile if interested in details. Here's a quick pic.
    [​IMG]

14. james

james Summon The Queen

seeing your Bachs in another thread inspired me to pull mine out far further into the room than i ever have. holy ****!

Rick58 and timind like this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

They disappear better than my NHT Superzeros. They disappear better than any speaker I've owned. Unbelievable!

I'm kind of shocked that after all these years, and countless other speakers, I've decided these are my final stop. Or should say, my new reference. I paid $250 for them. The speakers in the pic below were no competition for them. Not even close in my mind.
    [​IMG]

jonwoody, Morbius, mds and 5 others like this.
  16. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I dreamt of owning a large full scale system.
    A system with such a natural sound I would entirely forget about the gear for once.
    A system that assumes scale with a "you are there" sense of the recording.
    A system that generates no desire for any upgrade as that now seems pointless.
    I own it.
    Two of them to be exact.
    One nearfield and one farfield.
    Plus I have a Disco in another room pumping out two thousand watts of Boogie Fever.
    And a movie theater with twin 15" subs and a 100 inch super wide screen (2:35 ratio).
    I don't know how I got here.
    I am not worthy.

17. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

I would really like to look into a Tube pre with all those cool tubes exposed going into a SS amp. (It would need at least 5 inputs. Two turntables, SACD player, Tape Deck with a REC out). One of these days I’ll be posting that question what should I look at.

The other problem is there will be a quad system right next to this one, so that requires 4 equal speakers. That could get real expensive.

Rick58 likes this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Have you checked out the Kii Three system? :winkgrin:

19. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes. When I moved home three and a half years ago, I decided to put together precisely the system I wanted. It's a bit of a Frankenstein in terms of the way vintage and modern components are wired together, but the sound is stunning and it can play just about every format ever invented.

Sugar Man, timind and Rick58 like this.
  20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Donno about all the inputs or quad system, but a few folks on here have recently gotten on the Schitt Freya + into a Parasound A23 amp combo with seemingly good results. Of course you'd need phono preamps and not sure of the inputs, but this seems like a killer combo at a reasonable price. Those Sonus Faber Sonetto IIs seem to deserve a killer amplification source ... maybe even a better amp than the A23 if it makes sense and exists. Maybe a pair of the Schitt mono amps run in balanced mode?

I'm going to spring for an A21 one of these days. :shh: :agree: :winkgrin:

Monty12 and PB Point like this.
  21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't daydream about equipment any more, except occasionally about a (nonexistent) perfectly transparent equalizer that would be easy to adjust for individual recordings, completely flexible, easy to reset to zero, and when not in use (most of the time) would have NO sonic signature.

What I often daydream about is a better -- larger -- room, removed from other living quarters, so I wouldn't be concerned about sound leakage either way.

Given the 7 ft ceiling and 12.5 ft width, I've done a lot to make the system sound really good. Still, I think the sound would bloom more in a larger room.

And a less sound-tight room would be easier to work with in the bass.

Next lifetime!

22. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

I may upgrade to a Parasound P6 pre & a Parasound A23 amp then call it quits.

Monty12, stax o' wax and Rick58 like this.
  23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I think I'm satisfied already.

Dale A B, Razakoz and timind like this.
  24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I’ve climbed the Audio mountain it wasn’t Everest but came close. However I’d give it all up to be my 16 year old self and have my Panasonic stereo. Every album I acquired was a jewel, and the world awaited.

MonkeyMan, Reever, Bill Hart and 14 others like this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Have it pretty much now. Wouldn't mind having the following, however:

Garrard 301 or 401
    Altec 19's
    McIntosh MC30's

Can't afford any of these right now, but perhaps someday.

jonwoody likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.