Ringo Starr Filmography- what ones have you seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Not a poll. I missed the Beatles movies, documentaries and concert movies, just focusing on Ringo’s acting roles.

Pick all the movies in the list you’ve seen. Give opinions on the movies, particularly in regards to Ringo’s performance.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Lisztomania is brilliant. I adore Ken Russell

vince, Rufus rag and hi_watt like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In my opinion, Ringo's acting in That'll Be The Day is his best.

4. Aar Gal

No one seen Son Of Dracula? It’s on YouTube...I might have to give it a watch

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  5. Aar Gal

The Magic Christian and How I Won The War were my 2 earliest exposures to Beatles acting outside of their own movies, I thought both were great, although it’s been a while since I last saw them, I’ll have to get them out for a rewatch soon. That’ll be the day is pretty great too. It’s been a while since I seen Caveman too but I do have the DVD so might give it a spin next time the wife is out! I thought he was pretty great I Broad Street (much better than given credit for). I’ve still never seen Blindman so that’s on my list too. Most of the others I’ve never seen either

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not a one.

Do I win a prize, or incur derision? I’ll happily accept both.

Steve Litos, majorlance and Aar Gal like this.
  7. Aar Gal

just some mild surprise! Not even Broad Street?

8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Caveman. Forgettable to say the least

9. Aar Gal

Agreed...yet strangely it’s currently leading the way for most views!

Sear likes this.
  10. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

You forgot Born to Boogie, a film he both directed and co-starred in.

stepeanut, Mylene and Rufus rag like this.
  11. Aar Gal

I left it out as it’s a documentary/ concert movie

Rufus rag likes this.
  12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I've seen them all, and own them all--although Son of Dracula, and Blindman are unofficial versions :shh:

The Magic Christian is my personal favorite, though technically That'll Be The Day is probably a better film, I don't enjoy it as much.
    200 Motels is a terrible film, almost unwatchable. Sextette is only slightly better, but still tough to sit through the whole thing.
    Candy and Blindman are fairly boring from what little I recall of them (only watched them once with no desire to return again). Son of Dracula is very boring as well, but at least it has a few fun musical interludes thrown into it.
    Caveman and Lisztomania are just silly, with varying degrees of eye-candy thrown in to make them still fun.
    That leaves Macca's film, which Ringo's bits are pretty much all the highlights of it.

Left off of the list were Born To Boogie (which is a pretty fun one), and the TV films Princess Daisy (ugh), Alice in Wonderland (ok), and his Ringo/Ognir Rrats special (more fun than Macca's film)... plus Shining Time Station which I though Ringo was very good in.

This topic really should be in visual arts.

hi_watt and Aar Gal like this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I've seen

Candy
    Magic Christian
    That'll Be the Day
    Son of Dracula

Candy and Son of Dracula are unwatchable. Ringo is hardly in Candy (but it seems every other actor in the world is in it) and awful in Dracula. Ringo is OK in Magic Christian which is an OK movie too. That'll Be the Day is well worth viewing and Ringo does a pretty good job. Has anyone actually seen Blindman?

Aar Gal likes this.
  14. Aar Gal

thanks for your comments. I’ve been meaning to fill in my gaps in my Ringo movie collections, I knew about Princess Daisy and Alice but didn’t know how much Ringo was in them so I left them out of the list. Have you seen The Cooler?

15. Aar Gal

No, Ive never seen Blindman, but it’s top of my list to see, I know a dvd came out a few years back now buts it’s probably pretty pricey now.
    You need to see Caveman to believe it! That was the movie when he met Barbara.

16. applebonkerz

He's in those two about as much screen time as some of the others where he plays a bit-part. But since Princess Daisy is a long production, the Ringo parts may seem even more minor. In Alice he is mostly just singing the song "Nonsense" with very little other spoken words. I've seen a very bad quality online copy of the Cooler once, but it was tough to tell what that one would really be like--seems like it deserves an officially available release somewhere.

17. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Candy, Give My..., 200 Motels, and Caveman. From those, Caveman is the more entertaining film from the bunch.

Aar Gal likes this.
  18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I remember the movie ad for this in the paper when I was a little kid. It was a cast photo with word balloons, and each person was saying "Bite It!"

We took notice because it was Ringo; we'd just become a Beatles household. My Mom started a Beatles scrapbook, and this was in it. Still is, somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Aar Gal likes this.
  19. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

That'll Be The Day is one of my favourite movies, Ringo or not :righton:

blutiga and Rufus rag like this.
  20. applebonkerz

He's hardly in Blindman either, but even though I lumped it in with Candy as being boring, I'd much rather watch Blindman again, than have to sit through Candy again.

Aar Gal likes this.
  21. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

That'll Be The Day and Stardust are films I never tired of.

Never been able to work out why Mike was a Scouser in the first film and a Cockney geezer in the sequel...

Rufus rag and Aar Gal like this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Magic Christian & Broad St for me.

Caught part of Blindman on some weird Roku channel and it was hilariously bad. :)

Aar Gal likes this.
  23. Aar Gal

This one?

[​IMG]

anth67 and hi_watt like this.
  24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Worse than "Give My Regards to Broad Street"?

25. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

200 Motels (which is horrible and I only watched because I'm a huge Zappa fan) and Broad Street are the only ones I've seen from that list. No desire to see any of the others apart from maybe Magic Christian, although I've read enough about them in Beatles and Ringo books over the years to have a pretty good idea of how they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.