NOS4A2-AMC New TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheSeldomSeenKid, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident Thread Starter

I cannot believe 2 weeks in that there has yet to be a Thread created to discuss the New AMC Series, NOS4A2 based on the Book with the same Title by Joe Hill(Son of Stephen King, but using a different Last Name to obviously not have his own Books be compared to his Dad, but establish his own identity, which was not kept a secret too long after he first started creating his own Books/Stories, and he looks a lot like his Dad).

I usually do not start Threads, but interested to see who else on the SHF is watching this New TV Series and get Takes on it by anyone wanting to comment, as the first Season plays out this Summer.

I had bought the Book when it came out, but had not gotten around to reading it yet. I love the first 2 Episodes that were shown so far on AMC. The Story has me interested, although sure seems like Joe has sampled a lot of ideas from his Dad's prior Books(I am basing that thought on the TV Series so far, as assume it follows the Book closely in the Plot, and not just the idea of Children in Danger, Vampire Children-like Salem's Lot, but also a nod to 'IT' when there was a Map in a scene of the First Episode that showed 'Pennywise Circus' on it, as one of the locations).

Anyways, anyone else here love a Good American Supernatural, Horror Drama and watching NOS4A2? Any thoughts on the Actors? Any thoughts on having seen parts of Christmasland so far(Pretty Creepy with the Frozen Graveyard of Children)?

Below is the Trailer:

enro99 likes this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

To followup on my Initial Post to start this Thread yesterday, I checked out a few reviews for 'NOS4A2' online and a few(Hollywood Reporter and TVGuide) where the Reviewers have seen the first 4-6 Episodes, have been Negative overall(outside of the Actress, Ashleigh Cummings, who plays Vic McQueen).

Apparently, there is not a lot going on over at least the first 6 Episodes as the 10 Episodes 1st Season only covers about the first 1/3 of the Book. Have not checked out Ratings, but if this Show does not get much interest, doubt it will survive for a 2nd Season, although following 'Fear TWD' should have provided a strong lead in Audience to at least check it out.

Sounds like the Charlie Manx Character is just creepy rather than scary, and there are not a lot of scares over the first 6 Episodes. Also several Scenes that are hard to explain to a Non Viewer, as hard to make sense of them. Being made for AMC, I had high hopes for this show, but does not look good. I will stick with it though for at least this 1st Season.

Looks like Joe Hill has copied another formula by his Dad with using Kids with Mental Powers(like in The Shining and Carrie among other Books written by Stephen King). Apparently, the Book had Great Reviews, but this Series is not being well developed from the Book apparently. Also, the Series used a Well Respected Director, Kari Skogland(The Handmaid's Tale) only for the 1st 2 Episodes, so wonder if that is why those who have seen the next 4 Episodes, have been disappointing(according to the Reviewers who have seen it), but not sure if any Average or Below Average Reviews are due to the different Directors(6 for the 10 Episodes) or the Writing(translating the Book to the Screen).

Would have likely been a disaster to cover the 'NOS4A2' Book in just a 2 Hours Movie though, like happened to most of his Dad's Books when developed as Screenplays for the Movies(exceptions like '1408' which was a Short Story, 'The Shawshank Redemption' which was not a Full Novel, and 'Misery' & 'Carrie', which were Great Movies and maybe a few other King Books).

Apparently, a few other Joe Hill Books are in production to be made for the screen for Netflix, although the first screen adaptation attempt for his Book 'Horns' in 2014 did not go well.

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have seen the teasers for it but just haven't had time to check it out. So many shows, so little time.

4. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’ve been trying it under my breath in British, standard US and New England accents and I think the title would work better if the last letter were an R.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I heard about this and was looking forward to it, didn't realize it was airing already. Sorry to hear it's not that good, I'll still be checking it out to make up my own mind, Still, seems a shame to waste what I think is a terrific name for a horror show! Not quite sure what a previous poster was referring to with the changing of the spelling. NOS482 = Nosferatu

[​IMG]

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought political discussion/figures weren't allowed on this site! :D

mx20 and smilin ed like this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished, pretty creepy!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

Scope J likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm inspired now to read the novel.

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

Summer Fun in Christmasland, as NOS4A2 starts its 2nd Season Tonight:

DPM likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

Isn't anyone else here watching this AMC Series?

The First Episode of the 2nd Season last weekend was good, and picked up 8 Years later after the Season #1 Final Episode.

Looking forward to the Next Episode and the rest of the 2nd Season.

Just a Good 'Popcorn' Fun TV Series that does not require deep attention, but relax and and take my mind of the stress of Regular Life in these Covid-19 Times.

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I just started this S1. I’m pretty happy that this is on Amazon Prime now because AMC is $20/month in Canada and their shows aren’t archived on demand.

13. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I'm continuing to watch, completely driven by the characters and the acting. The characters are flawed and complex, and the actors nail it. They may have pushed it too far in the first episode with Vic, but after last night's episode they're setting up some parallels between her and Charlie. My interest is also piqued as I grew up across the river from Haverhill - it captures the New England aspect (I wouldn't expect anything less from the author and his family) though the town they shoot in lacks the atmosphere of the real place.

Plotwise it's OK, with a lesser cast I probably would have bailed. Except for a couple of scenes in the series the horror aspect is pretty weak. A good example is last night. Without giving anything away there's two on-screen deaths. Instead of putting thought into how to execute them, it goes to pretty standard direction. The second death in particular, had this lingering wide shot in it and I thought they'd be going the Exorcist III route of the slow-burn jump scare. But then they cut closer in and it way a replay of the 1st death.

Mark

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

I thought there were 3 Deaths/Killings with the Wife(the 3rd Death) of Charlie Manx in the back of his Vintage Rolls-Royce Wraith, as he was driving her and Millie to her Sister's House(err. last minute change of Route to Christmasland). Or maybe we will find out in a later episode in another Flashback Scene that she is not Dead, but just now the Undead, who is not part of the current Story? Her Face was kind of mangled though, and looked more like she could walk onto the Set of The Walking Dead(or FTWD).

Actually, was wondering why the Backstory did not show how Charlie Manx and Millie became Vampires. I know that Charlie Manx mentioned when he bought the Vintage Rolls-Royce Wraith, that he got it for a 'Good' Price, since there was a Dead Body in it, so are we to connect the dots there and assume that was not a Dead Body, but someone, who turned Charlie and Millie into Vampires. I have not read the Book yet, so not sure if it was fully explained there by Joe Hill, or will be shown in a Future Episode with another Flashback Scene.

Also, I noticed the mistake on the Editing of the part of the episode after Millie in the back of the Vintage Rolls-Royce Wraith showed to her Mom, that her Teeth fell out(into her Hands), but then the next scene showed her Regular Teeth briefly, before the scene soon after where she showed her Vampire Teeth prior to attacking her Mom. Pretty Sloppy, but mistakes in a scene have also happened on other TV Series and Theater Movies in the past.

'NOS4A2' is more of a Creepy Show, than a Scary Show, as it blew it's few chances in the 2nd Episode this week on the Few Kill Scenes to make them Scary. Maybe the Book is Scarier.

I liked how the Episode ended, but had a feeling what was going to be shown, soon as I saw Bing at the Graveyard, where Charlie instructed him to be there when he would arrive to meet him, since there was an earlier scene between Charlie and Bruce(Vic's Son).

Zach Quinto really must go through a long makeup process, for his Scenes as a Frail Old Man. I never saw him before as an Actor, but he certainly 'Looks' The Part when he is shown as a Younger Vampire in some scenes.

The Girl, who plays Millie, looks like she actually is the Daughter of Charlie and his Wife, so a good selection of her to play Millie, and she has done well acting, as shown when provided a bigger role in this 2nd Episode of the 2nd Season. In the 1st Season, I did not figure out that she was the Daughter of Charlie, but just the Leader of the Pack of Kiddies with Bad Teeth in Christmasland.

Maybe, this Series is not High Art, but as I mentioned in my prior post, more of a Popcorn Fun Type Series so far, and the same reason that I enjoyed 'The Strain' that was an FX Series about the Virus and the Vampires, which were much more Scarier than any Walkers on TWD-IMO.

Looking forward to the rest of the 2nd Season, and the Fate of Bruce. Not sure if I want to read the Book now, until after this TV Adaptation is completed(I assume there will be at least One More Season). I realize though that changes are made from the Book for the TV Script, if for no other reason, than to have more material to utilize on the TV Series.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  15. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

You're right, I forgot about that one. Maybe because it was so matter-of-fact in a chaotic scene that there was no drama for me. Sometimes it works - during an episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles, a main character is killed in the middle of a gun battle. It was highly effective because there was no slow-motion, no musical swell, no nothing - there's a gunshot and the character drops. With the sudden loss of teeth and Charlie getting possessed, the scene was too rushed and there was no drama with her death. It might also be that without background prior to this episode I had zero emotional investment in her character.

I'm thinking the history of the Wraith will be addressed at some point. Maybe Christine was manufactured at the same plant a couple of decades later.

The creepiest parts of the show for me is usually Bing. His character is somewhat predictable but the actor plays him with that blend of innocence and menace. Any time he walks up to a character I lean forward. Scene wise, the only one that stands out for me as being well done with sustained suspense was the house fire. The children with teeth was effective the first couple of times last season but it's played out.

Same here.

I haven't read the book but have seen interesting things about it. For instance, the typeface used is significant to the story.

Mark

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, his character seems like one I have seen in past Movies and TV Series. I did like the scene where he errr. ‘rescued’ the kid in the cage, who was bullied by the other kid. And he innocently asked that kid, “Do you want me to kill Eric?”. Then the kid replied not to do that, as Bing would go to Jail(technically Jail is just a temporary holding place and you would go to Prison for Murder but a kid would most likely not know the difference) and then Bing would not be able to take him to Christmasland.

The Creepiest Scene I recall from the First Season was when the kids under the frozen ice were shown, so a nice return to it in this episode. Hope a future episode shows the purpose for that icy grave.

17. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I somehow missed the first episode but I did watch the second one. Suffice it to say I’m a little lost but glad that the Season 2 is finally here. Usually AMC will broadcast the previous week’s episode immediately prior to showing the new one but that didn’t happen this time. Also, with The Walking Dead and other serials, they have re-broadcast the previous season which helps the viewer re-acquaint himself with the show.

Anyway, it’s alright so far. On shows like these I tend to avoid threads about them until I know I’m caught up and won’t risk seeing spoilers.

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

Season 2 picks up 8 Years after the end of Season 1, so that might explain why you are lost, especially since you have not seen the 1st Episode of Season 2, as that Episode showed that Vic has an 8 year old son, from her boyfriend, who was killed in the Final Episode of Season 1 and she also had developed the same Alcohol Problems as her Dad had in Season 1. That 1st Episode also showed that, while there was ‘proof’ that Charlie Manx was Dead and just waiting for an Autopsy to be performed on his body, Vic did not believe that Manx was really dead, and she had to find out for herself, which she insisted on going to see his body. Hopefully, you can catch the episode. I thought the prior episodes are shown on the AMC Website?

Killing Eve never showed the prior week’s episode before the new episode, so this is not always the case with AMC Shows. Cannot remember if Dispatches from Elsewhere showed the prior episode, but do not recall that it was shown the night of the next episode. Might just be TWD, which showed the prior week’s episode, before the next episode.

19. TheSeldomSeenKid

It looks like this 2nd Season is shaping up, as a battle between Manx trying to get Bruce(into his Collection of Kids) versus Vic trying to kill Millie, as they are each trying to protect their own child. Who will Win?

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

Episode #3 this week-I thought it started out slow, but did get better in the 2nd Half. It did answer my earlier question if the Wife of Charlie Manx, who was attacked by her Daughter, Millie(in Episode #2) would be Dead and no longer in the Series, but did not take long to show that she is still alive(or Undead) right from the Opening Scene.

There is no on screen chemistry between Vic and Lou, so hard to buy their relationship. Also, did not think the Scenes between Vic and her Father and Mother brought much to this Episode. I figured that we were done with Scenes involving her Mother and Father after the 1st Season, but looks like they both still have a part to play in this Series.

The Scenes with Bing I thought were good, as I felt the tension when he brought his Bike to Lou to fix, and Lou figured out that Bing was not who he seems(then again Bruce Wayne had wondered off at the time, and Lou was concerned, but had no idea that Charlie Manx was down the road, and trying to lure Bruce Wayne into the back of his Wraith.

Still trying to figure out why Manx wants the Hourglass, as not sure if it was explained.

I usually like to watch these Episodes 2 times, but once was enough for this 3rd Episode. I think the story will get better in the next few episodes, but we will see. I assume we will soon see Bruce Wayne being caught by Manx, since we know that he is underground Ice Covered Grave, and guess this episode was just a fakeout, since he escaped, when it looked like he was going to fall for that New Basketball(among other Presents) in the back of the Wraith.

I guess Vic's Alcohol Problems will continue to be a part of the storyline, you would think that she would need to sober up to have any chance to defeat Manx.

Will Millie ever get to see a Dentist for those Teeth? Or an Orthodontist?

Why does Millie seemed so upset when her Dad leaves Christmasland again, as he told her that he would be back(with a New Friend for her).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    RexKramer likes this.
  21. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I liked the scenes with the mother and father, as it showcases the acting better than Vic riding on her bike in some fact-finding or revenge adventure. Somehow all the family dramas avoids becoming soap opera.

It was great seeing Tom Savini in the bar. He's a fun character actor in the right role.

22. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

This show was starting to lose its luster for me but last night’s episode helped re-gain it. I guess it was the showdown with Vic and Manx and Lou. It’s probably safe to say Manx has no intention of letting Bing ever go to Christmasland, as least not for the purpose Bing thinks.

23. TheSeldomSeenKid

The scene with Vic under the lake water was effective, as I felt like I was the one underwater. Although, it was a level of stupid when Vic kept shooting at the Wraith driving away with Manx inside, as I was thinking, ‘just shoot the tires’.

I have not read the Book yet, but as mentioned before, looks like this will come down to Vic protecting her Son versus Manx protecting his Daughter in the end, as now that Manx has Wayne, will Vic go after Millie? Guess we will find out.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, I laughed when Manx told Bing there will be a Feast awaiting him, once he gets to Christmasland.

chrischerm and Witchy Woman like this.
  25. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Last night's episode had an exchange between Vic's parents. I wish I could quote it verbatim, but the mother was saying she wiped her daughter's nose, how could she miss these powers. The fahter said she was too worried about getting beaten, paying the bills, and worried about her philandering husband to notice. It's dialog like this which keeps me coming back.

On another thread I was upset that Star Trek: Discovery season 2 took the series from adventurous sci-fi to a soap opera. I present NOS4A2 as Exhibit A of how to do drama right.

chrischerm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.