dbPoweramp: Multiple Masterings of same recording

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SoCalWJS, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am trying to rip a different Mastering of the same Title CD to the same HDD. Each time I make the attempt, it just overwrites the previous version. I try making a note about which Master it is in the Note section -no luck. I saw a suggestion that I go into the Metadata/ID Tag and change the year to the year of the new master instead of the default/original year - no luck.

I do not know dbPoweramp very well. I have been using it for awhile with no issues, but this is the first time I have tried to have 2 different versions of the same Title and am a bit frustrated.

Any suggestions?

2. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Change the album title or add something like Version 2 to the Title, that will then create new file names when it rips the cd that will not overwrite the other files.

gd0, patient_ot and SoCalWJS like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

Edit title for eash mastering:

EX:

Highway 61 Revisited -DCC
    Highway 61 Revisited - MFSL
    Highway 61 Revisited - 23DP

etc

Sevoflurane, smith6552, gd0 and 5 others like this.
  4. SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully it works. Seems dbPoweramp started acting weird awhile back and it no longer identified the CD when first placed into tray. It now waits until I hit the “RIP” button. Didn’t use to it that way. [shrug]. Still works, but I hate it when things change for no apparent reason.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

When that happens I use the "Retry" button and then I get the info a second or two later.

6. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

In addition to editing the title, you can also r ip it to a different location than where the original is, then copy the files into your music folder.

7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If the CD is in AccurateRip, it should match the exact version you have. As suggested earlier, use a unique Album tag for each version.

You should also look at the different tag sources--sometimes version information is in one of the the listings.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Essentially what I've always done.

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If I have different masterings of the same album I append it to the album title before ripping. For my CD rips I have dBPoweramp set to use the following folder structure:

[artist] - [album]/[track number]. [title]

If I have different masterings the albums end up in different folders as follows:

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1994 remaster)
    Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (2007 mono remaster)
    Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (2007 stereo remaster)
    Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (2011 remaster)

Takes a few minutes before ripping to make sure the metadata is right, but works for me.

BGLeduc likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.