USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Oh they are expected, but unless you keep on top of things your stuff will get lost. Be in control or be a victim.

2. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

A package that I ordered from Texas was shipped Priority to me in CT and arrived one day early. A package I ordered from PA that was shipped Priority is currently in my state, but is late. Very strange.

3. Francophile50

I just got off the phone with a USPS representative. she told me there is no way for her to track the media mail package accurately at this time. She said that the USPS only considers the package lost after 30 days from being shipped.

There are so many different ways that the package could be held up or lost. If the package isn't properly scanned when it's initially accepted by USPS it could be sent towards his destination then only scanned when it gets closer to being delivered to the destination.

The package is also be held up in a warehouse. If it's unlucky it can continue to be passed over by packages that are luckier and being sent down the road closer to their destination. all she could tell me was give it a little bit more time it should be delivered.

If for some reason the package label came off and they didn't know where to deliver it it would be sent to Atlanta. they would open up the package catalog it and give 6 months for someone to put a claim in against it and accurately describe it. if they could do that they would go ahead and ship that to the intended recipient and destination.

She also said that if it's Media mail the post office has no responsibility to make any kind of payment out towards loss of the item. There is no guarantee time frame for Media mail to be delivered. there is actually no guarantee time frame that priority mail is to be delivered. There is only a guarantee time frame that Express priority mail will be delivered. And if it's not delivered within those time frames you can get a refund for the amount that you paid to have it shipped.

So after 30 days I can put in a claim in to eBay or PayPal to have them compensate me. For the most part I am receiving my packages but in these troubled times it makes me pause and think do I need to stop buying items online like this?

There are several great deals out there and I'm wondering what to do now with upcoming auctions or buy it now opportunities.

4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, but it suddenly seems to be way beyond that in some cases. I've been following some reddit forums and other places with people that ship regularly and it seems like a 3 days to a week has been the "typical" (for whatever that means) delay during the pandemic. But I'm hearing that for some areas and distribution centers (Chicago and New Jersey apparently the very worst) have gotten infinitely worse in the past several weeks.

Again, I'm totally willing to be patient, but there's a difference between waiting an extra week and where I am today - waiting for a package that was shipped on June 3rd and hasn't updated in the system since June 7th.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. Francophile50

As I stated in my previous post the post office doesn't consider the package lost until one month after it was initially shipped. So they have till Friday to deliver that. If you don't receive your package by Friday then you can put in a claim not to the post office because more than likely it wasn't insured but to whom ever you purchased it from. If it is eBay then you can have them credit your account. Or if you paid with your credit card or PayPal make them credit your account. Either way you slice it if you didn't receive your package you lose. This is starting to make me think or should I say rethink the whole idea about buying online these days. But really what choice do we have?

6. GuidedByJonO)))

This is something I ordered from a tiny independent label, so I'm going to wait to go back on them just yet - this clearly isn't their fault. I'll see how I feel in two more weeks. It really is disheartening though.

7. Francophile50

Yeah somewhere in the middle something's going wrong but since we're at the very end we're the ones getting screwed. I've got like 18 independent packages out there waiting to be delivered or in the various stages of being shipped to me. I need need to take a long break before I buy anyting going forward.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Today's head scratcher (media mail):

June 30, 2020, 6:23 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item departed our USPS facility in SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on June 30, 2020 at 6:23 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    June 30, 2020, 6:19 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    June 30, 2020
    In Transit to Next Facility
    June 28, 2020, 6:45 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    June 28, 2020, 5:30 am
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    LEXINGTON, MA 02421

The package was actually dropped off INSIDE THE POST OFFICE on June 21--it took them a week just to scan it into their system at all.

Then they shipped it to NJ from MA. Then they shipped it back to MA.

It's not just slow. It's incompetent. But it is what it is.

9. Francophile50

All I can say is keep pushing you're not going to get your package until someone does something right. I think that whenever they scan something it registers something in a database and I think they forget or lose track or aren't focused and they keep scanning the package over and over to see what the hell it is when it's already been scanned. I get that too, item received in a certain facility. Then a few minutes later item departing from the same facility. and then a few minutes later item received at the same facility. So to me it looks like they really don't know what they're doing. They either got it keyed into the wrong thing and somebody scanning the packages that they're leaving when they're actually not or they're being received when they're actually leaving.

You know I heard the post office was hiring. I guess if you wish to descend into madness you can go work for them. No seriously I think the post office like mine which is a large one does well. It's the facilities that sorts the mail like packages and letters is where it all goes wrong. I don't know what the people in the facility that sorts the mail agenda is but I don't think it's to be too accurate it's just to get through the large amount of mail they have to accurately or inaccurately.

10. Francophile50

I also wanted to come back and put things in reference. Since I've been in quarantine I've made 117 separate transactions on eBay. That said only now am I experiencing some problems. Of those 117 transactions I'm looking at two transactions that may result in loss or at least trouble. that's not bad in the law of averages so I just wanted to put that in perspective not that all problems in the mail are difficult. and as a matter of fact I did do one transaction with eil.com through the mail so that rate goes down even further.

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Things are taking SUCH A LONG TIME to get to me these days.
    What used to take a week or two now takes closer to a month, and international shipments? I have two that I've been waiting on for more than a month, with no updates as to an ETA for a month.
    I mean, I guess I understand covid can have an impact, but this much? It's not like USPS let half their people go.

Anyone else having major shipping issues.

(then there's Fed.Ex. Ground that keeps delivering my packages to another house on a street with a similar name, a couple zip codes away - but that's another issue)

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  12. Francophile50

Yes the impact on restrictions has a tremendous effect. I have a couple transactions right now outstanding that may take a month to get to me if not getting lost altogether. The key that I can recommend to everyone who is listening is just keep on top of your packages there are times when the USPS will not scan your package or misscan your package when they're confused. I can tell you that if you have not received your package in a month you can go ahead and file some type of claim so that he can find it or maybe the label came off and you have to put in a claim to claim it.

Either way this is what we have to deal with when ordering things through the mail now. until stores reopen and allow us to go to them and physically pick up product this is what we have to go through. And to be honest there is no rhyme or reason to how packages are delivered so assume the worst but hope for the best.

I have had packages come to California from Australia in just over a week. Same from England and Europe. the two packages that are outstanding to me are coming from California to California. A postal worker told me it's just the way the warehouses or distribution centers are run. Some packages can leap ahead of others. If your package is not lucky it will get stuck. Just bear these things in mind when you're ordering and expecting product.

13. GuidedByJonO)))

It's been all over the place for me. As mentioned the other day, I'm still waiting for one item shipped on June 3rd. It's been stuck in tracking limbo since June 7th with no further updates. I had one package take about 4 weeks to get to me, the others (I think I've ordered about 8 or 9 things since quarantine started in mid-March) averaged about a week. Definitely some outliers right now. I've got another package floating out there too, but I'm not clear about when it was actually shipped to me for any kind of comparison.

14. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Packages on the East Coast seem to just be sitting for weeks. My Mail Carrier told me they are also having issues in Denver.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

I'm kind of surprised we're not hearing more stories or reading press about this, considering all the articles we got in April about shipping being crippled all over the country. Seems like the lags and delays are infinitely worse right now, but fewer people seem to care.

16. Francophile50

I just got three more packages of mine within a week from back east. I'm getting them crushed, but I'm getting them. yeah shipping today is worse than ever and had I known that I wouldn't have ordered a ton of stuff in the mail. I can only imagine people who are waiting for precious medicine in the mail. I've got a package around Chicago that's stuck. I have another in Los Angeles thats at 3 weeks right now. I have to give it another week before I throw in the towel and try to recoup my money.

Oh and I just got another CD sent out of Los Angeles that was never scanned. I don't know how long it took probably a week.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The new Stones 10" arrived unscathed from about 30 miles away.
    The 2012 Slowhand 35th Anniversary box also arrived unscathed in TWO DAYS from Los Angeles.
    One more from Acoustic Sounds tomorrow, and I'm all caught up.
    Ah sweet Priority.

18. Francophile50

It's crazy. There is a CD I paid for on the 16th of last month. It was noted shipped on the 22nd. Was it really? It was just scanned today received at USPS Summit Argo,IL an hour ago. I was supposed to get the package yesterday but now they're saying new Target for delivery July 9th. Who's dropping the ball?

19. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

As I'm complaining about this - I had a package supposed to be delivered today (10 days after being shipped), but after I got home and didn't see it, I went to track it, and I get this...

And yet it still has today as an expected delivery date, but no info as to where it is.
    Shambles!

20. Francophile50

What market is this? I get no notifications like that on eBay.

21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

USPS - that's the tracking info I get when I punch in the tracking number into the USPS site.

22. GuidedByJonO)))

I would love any kind of update, mine still has the same message it's had for almost a full month now:

Status
    In-Transit
    June 7, 2020

In Transit to Next Facility

23. Francophile50

I pray that you get one soon.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Had to laugh today. My purchase from Acoustic Sounds arrived, with the USPS label touting Priority Mail 1 Day and above it, the date June 29th.
    3 days ago.

25. Francophile50

I talked to a USPS representative yesterday in regards to my missing or delayed package. She told me even priority mail is not guaranteed. The only service that is guaranteed is Express priority mail. Even then it could be delayed but if it isn't received within the time stated you can get a refund of your fee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.