The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

That's what I do, I follow the user's manual.

snorker likes this.
  2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Yes I have, that results in what sounds to me like high pitched computer noise, probably because the computer and all associated stuff is on a different extention to my audio gear.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Setting the AS the same as the VTF is a good starting point. From there I would watch Peter L's videos about anti-skate on YouTube and try setting that way. I don't recommend the blank record method as that will only tell you if the anti-skate works or not, and lead you to crank it up too high. The truth is there is no perfect AS setting because skating force varies across the LP. What we want to do is try to keep the stylus centered in the groove and not use too much or too little AS, because that can make a stylus wear unevenly.

RE: the stylus jerking at the lead-in, you may need to adjust your AS but also practice lowering the cue lever more slowly and more gently. The cue lever on most 1200s works a bit differently than some other turntables (different range of motion) and appears to use a lighter weight silicone in the mechanism. Further, depending on the cart + headshell you are using you may need to adjust the tonearm lifter. The manual has instructions for this.

Oelewapper likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

AS corresponding to the VTF is a good point to start with. For accurately setting AS, test records with dedicated test tracks are available.
    A single test tone/music which is equally loud on both left and right (mono) may also work, assuming the cartridge azimuth is set correctly.
    While playing that test tone, adjust the AS until the test tone is equally loud on both channels.

ubiknik likes this.
  5. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I've been very happy with my SL1200GR, which I purchased in December 2019. My current amp, an NAD 3020, is on the fritz and I'm starting to think about a new amp. Anyone here paired their Technics with a tube/hybrid amp in the ~$2K range?

For speakers I'm using Triangle Titus bookshelfs. I think I'll eventually venture into Harbeth or maybe Dynaudio. The cartridge on the Technics is an Ortofon 2M Black.

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

My SL-1210GAE has arrived. I'll weigh-in with my thoughts and comparison to the SL-1200G soon. In the meantime, here are a a few photos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Strobe light off!

[​IMG]

7. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I really want one of those. Looking forward to any comparisons to the 1200G. My next upgrade from my 1200GR would be the 1200G. Is the cover clear like regular G series or is it a little smokey to match the black. Probably just the shadows and lighting in the pictures

snorker likes this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It's smoked, but so is the one on the G. The lids appear to be the same. The GR has a clear lid.

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

So, here a few superficial differences I immediately noticed when comparing the SL-1210GAE to the SL-1200G:

1. The feet are different. The SL-1210 GAE feet are much more compliant, with a soft gel-like material inside.
    2. The VTA/tonearm height mechanism feels a bit smoother in its operation, and has more travel. It goes almost a 1mm lower than "0" and at least .5mm higher than "6."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. The headshell is different. The G headhsell, on the right in the photos, has a smooth flat black paint with no logo and a longer finger-lift, whereas the SL-1210GAE headhsell (on the left) has a pebbled paint, a Technics logo, and a shorter finger-lift. It lacks the "made in Japan" text on the underside as well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. punkmusick

Nice!

About the headshell: at first, I thought it looked like a headshell I once bought in a DJ store (I bought two actually) but no, I checked and mine has longer finger-lift. The logo looks nice, but I've been using the GR no-logo original.

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I wonder if this one is any different than what comes with the Mk7. @patient_ot?

patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  12. punkmusick

How does the arm look comparing to the G?

13. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It looks the same, except anodized black. I think the photos don't really do it justice. It has a very high-quality look, like the previous GAE/G.

patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Where's the strobe off-switch?

Oelewapper likes this.
  15. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I'm confused. Is the GAE between the G and GR or something sonicly?

16. punkmusick

It's a special edition of the G.

snorker and patient_ot like this.
  17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Very nice!
    But where is the strobe LED off switch?
    And have you already checked if the platter is flat?

patient_ot likes this.
  18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I didn't measure the platter with my runout gauge, but it appears visually flat.

The strobe on/off is actuated by a long-press on the pitch x2 button. When you start the turntable even with the strobe "off" it will illuminate for a few seconds when play starts and then fade off again. It's pretty cool!

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Nice. Hope they keep it in a possible G mk2. With red/blue led choice, too.

ranch 22b likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Cool
    . And congrats.
    Methinks you've already covered the differences.

21. Slick Willie

Interesting. Wonder where it was made?
    Have you tried weighing them?

22. Slick Willie

Prob a stoopid question, but it is listed as made in Japan on the back of the table?

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I didn't weight them, but they feel about the same weight and it is listed in the manual as 7.6g, same as the other one. Not that it couldn't still be made in Japan, but it is not marked like all the older ones were.

24. Slick Willie

Thanks.
    At this weight, you just can't tell by holding them.
    And call me old school, by if made in Japan ain't listed, then it's made elsewhere.

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It is indeed.

[​IMG]