The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

They could very well have shifted production of all the headshells to Malaysia where the other turntables are being made. That would be my guess. I don't have a scale, but it is listed as 7.6g, as as are all other Technics headshells I believe. I have several of the G headshells with cartridges already mounted, so I am not using the new one yet. It looks nice with the pebbled paint and Technics logo though.

patient_ot and Slick Willie like this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:edthumbs:

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The headshell on the left with no markings underneath the plate part looks nearly identical to the one that came with the MK7.

snorker and Big Blue like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Possibly but I don't think it matters in any case.

snorker likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

You may very well be right, but could also be wrong.
    Does the 7 and the new GAE have adjustable az? I'm sure they do.

snorker likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hence the caveat, "possibly". If you think a headshell can't be made to reasonable quality standards in Malaysia, there isn't much to say. You've got bigger problems. And yes all the new Technics headshells have adjustable azimuth.

snorker and recstar24 like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

With the wires it probably weighs around 8g, or at least that's what my possibly not very accurate kitchen scale says.

bbb99 and snorker like this.
  8. Slick Willie

What are my bigger problems?
    Do you think the manufacturing country is not of import from a quality POV?

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Panasonic owns the factory in Malaysia. It is not some random jobber factory.

I am old enough to remember when people bitched about anything not made in the good 'ol USA.

Japanese cars were crap they said. Anything made in Korea or Taiwan was also the subject of nasty comments.

But times change and many people now regard American cars as unreliable junk outside of something like an F-150 pickup truck and now Japan is known for high quality products. Countries like Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan, and even Indonesia have stepped up their game over the years as well.

Products nowadays are also rarely made in a single place for 100% of the components, especially when you get down to every single resistor, capacitor, and tiny piece of wiring.

We don't know where the headshell is made because there is no marking on it. So long as the quality is reasonable it does not matter for practical use.

scobb and recstar24 like this.
  10. Slick Willie

Thanks for the history lesson, but I am aware. Those points listed are from years ago, not really pertinate.
    BTW, the US makes some quality autos these days. And I'm not dissing on your 7, it was made to reach a prove point in a respected factory. Still though...

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I was thinking...What are the chances this to be introduced with the G/GR via firmware update at some point? Don't think so, but still...

snorker and Slick Willie like this.
  12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The respective manuals show the SL-1210GAE and SL-1200Mk7 have different headshells. The SL-1210GAE is part #TYL0456, the Mk7 has #TYL0331.

For reference, the SL-1200GR uses #TPBGA003 and the SL-1200G uses #RFA3670, so every SL-12xx model has a different headshell!

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Interesting. FWIW I don't really like the Technics headshell design. I prefer headshells with a top and bottom guide pin and a flat top.

snorker likes this.
  14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

So I measured planarity with a radial runout gauge to be sure, and this platter is very flat. The maximum deviation is only 0.0075" or 0.19mm. KAB tells me anything under 0.010" (0.254mm) is "great in [his] book."

I'm not sure if it's a random sample, or they've tightened up the tolerances a little. The maximum deviation on my SL-1200G was 0.014" or 0.36mm, which Technics deemed within spec.

This measurement is on the outer edge for what it's worth, so that doesn't have all that much bearing on how a record will play, particularly once the mat is added. Nonetheless, this SL-1210GAE measures extremely well.

[​IMG]

15. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

:righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    snorker and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Currently have a SL-1210GR and just now placed an order for the 1210 GAE. Will also post my impressions upon arrival :)

17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yeah, 0.19mm is very nice; my 1200G has a deviation of about 0.22mm (+/- 0.02mm)
    But 0.36mm is almost 1.5x as much; I would find that unacceptable for a 4k turntable!

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

hi! Sorry for the old post quote, I was being a good citizen and using the search function to see if I could find the info I needed. I just purchased a Lyra Delos for my 1200GR; set to come early next week, and I am curious how you settled on the VTA dial at 0.3 on yours. I cannot find the listed cartridge height spec for the Delos (the figure listed online doesn’t correlate with how the technics manual measures it). Thank you for any help you can provide!

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most people use a different headshell depending on cartridge so even if the Technics one supplied isn't good it's not a great loss.

20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Agreed. ..Plus, I prefer it w/out the "Technics" lettering - looks cleaner to me.

Audible differences b/w high end turntables are already very hard to discern. I can't fathom anyone hearing a difference b/w two head shells that are identical in all respects except country of orgin :)

21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

What are you expecting to gain soundwise? I know you'll gain a lighter wallet. ;) I am so satisfied with the GR that I quit looking pretty much the day I got it. Still, it's fun to read what others think of the even more expensive versions.

22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

No, you won’t hear a difference! I’m not using the one supplied with the SL-1210GAE right now, as I have all my cartridges already mounted on other G headshells, and I still have a spare G headshell sitting unused.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

The GR is awesome. The first time I've had a turntable that plays sustained piano notes without a hint of pitch-drift.

Honestly, I'm highly skeptical that I or anyone else can hear a difference b/w a G, GR, or GAE under blinded conditions. Still, I lusted for the 1210 GAE b/c of the build quality and aesthetic. ..I guess you good say I did it simply for pride-of-ownership. ..I don't have an expensive watch, car, bass boat, harley, wave-runner, vacation home, etc... My stereo is where I spoil myself.

IRG, bbb99, Twinsfan007 and 9 others like this.
  24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I was feeling pretty tempted myself. I'm almost glad that these are gone now so that I'm not tempted any longer.

For myself, I can't say that I honestly would have expected to hear an improvement. But who knows, I might have been surprised by some subtle improvements that I was not expecting.

However the fact that the VTA adjustment has more travel than the other units is a highly desirable design change, because IMO this is the GR and G's single weakest feature. It really annoys me that shimming is sometimes necessary to get the proper VTA with some cartridges on the older models. Also the brass platter, magnesium arm, and machined plinth just really appeal to me.

But do I need these things? No. But this doesn't stop me from desiring one of these tables. :drool:

csgreene and snorker like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

SKEPTIC: why would you waste your money on such a thing? Are you actually expecting the sound to improve?

CHAMPION AND HERO OF THE PEOPLE: idgaf I have the money and I choose to spoil myself because it makes me happy.

Much respect :)