Zu Dirty Weekend vs. Omega Super 3 XRS

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 5-String, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I own a pair of the ODW's with clarity caps installed. I have a small reflective room with some acoustic treatment to help. These speakers sound phenomenal to me and often help make an emotional connection between me and the music. This is also on a wide variety of genres including rock and metal which I listen to the most. However, I have to agree that several recordings jump out to me as sounding amazing, one acoustic. I often go back to Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live (Analogue Productions) because it blows me away everytime. Grant Green's Grant's First Stand (Tone Poet) although not acoustic, the voice of the guitar is breathtaking. Good luck. ~Corey

2. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

How many watts is your amp delivering to the Druids? I have a 6 watt Decware amp and it's not enough for the Druids (IME). So... also IME, the efficiency rating is lower than specified by Zu. I imagine my next amp will be at least 20 watts. I hope the OP has an amp delivering enough watts for the DW. BTW... the Decware easily powers my new 6 Ohm JBL 4307s with an efficiency of 91dB. The 16 Ohm Druids have a stated efficiency of 101 dB.

3. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Did you get any explanation from the manufacturer?
    If the Zu Omen dw don't play as loud as my current speakers on 8 wpc they are going back.

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

It does, but that kind of logic limits a person to the one chosen brand. I like variety, snd have six pairs of speakers from five different brands at home.

5. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

The Zu speakers seem to have odd average impedance (meaning greater than 8ohm). They also sell loading resistors in case your amp really needs to see something like 8ohm.

If the speakers don't sound as you think maybe discuss the loading resistors with them.

6. Haha, those two selections below sound great on anything! Am listening to Grant's First Stand now, on my office Infinity R162s and they even sound great! Will have to listen to these two on my Mini Lores later!

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  7. arem

arem Forum Resident

The only thing is I have seen you repeatedly say definitively that the Zu's are only good with acoustic jazz, when plenty of other people have given opinions that they sound just fine with other types of music as well. It's great that you found an ideal use for you and your equipment, but you seem to want to deter people from using them in other ways and I'm not sure why that is.

sambamaster likes this.
  8. Benzion

Nope. Read them more carefully. Sharing MY impressions in MY system with MY amp. You can interprete how you want, but dont put words into my mouth.

Im not trying to deter anyone from anything. People can do anything the want with information that is shared with them.

You however seem to be the sort that only wants to see the rosy side, anything else need not be shared?

9. arem

arem Forum Resident

Hey, I'm not trying to beef with you. I appreciate your input, but the my/my/my thing doesn't always come across as clearly as you seem to think it does.

I'm always curious to hear people's impressions of equipment, good or bad. I haven't shared any opinion about the Zu's in this thread, so I don't know why you are being combative or judgmental about my "sort". I'm from Brooklyn too, keep your attitude civil.

10. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

In our present condition and the time frame is sensitive. However these zu dw speakers are world class now. If for some reason the speaker didn't work out on your system, you can always to return it or sell it, not having any problems at all. Best audition at this point is in your house.

11. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I like the speakers, and they require more watts than they may seem on paper (IMO). This is especially true of the bass. As I said... I'm not shopping for any new amps less than 20 watts--this rules out most SETs.

12. Benzion

Im usually civil. Im just not a fan when people give a different slant to my words.

No matter now - if you meant no harm no harm is done then. Peace.

arem likes this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

14. Classic Car Guy

Oh man cant wait to get mine... Lol.... first record I'm gonna play is The Smiths....:agree:

15. Benzion

Here's a fresh thread from today, in which I'm not a participant, and the OP is unknown to me:

Considering Large Tube PushPulls... Advice!

While it does not involve the Zu speakers, it does touch upon a topic I was trying to convey, in general. Apparently, I'm not the only one, which makes me fairly sure I'm not crazy, not yet, anyway. And here is just a wee quote:

"So, I stick to one audio system, in my designated listening room. Currently LS50W’s, utilizing the built in preamps, and DACS and all. A great all in one system and a total 180 from my previous system, which included an LM219ia, tubes rolled to my liking, through a pair of Cornwalls (SET & high efficiency speakers).

I enjoyed the LM219IA for all of its sonic attributes, however.. I decided ultimately it was not practical to please my listening habits. I listen to a wide range of music, from female vocal driven stuff, to classical at times, soft rock, etc., but also plenty of heavier, dynamic stuff as well. I am an active musician involved in music of this sort and the majority of my record collection is of this sort of genre. Clarity in my SET system was excellent, but it was not fit to serve in ‘fullness’ and slam/impact that drives this sort of heavier music properly. Those who know, understand what I mean. SETS can do some wonderful things, but they are not always the optimal choice for us all.. Unfortuately."

I will be so bold as to say that I include myself in the "Those who know, understand what I mean."

I DO KNOW - I've experienced the same thing first-hand. Luckily, I have the luxury of not having to do a 180 degree change - I just have two systems side-by-side, each playing what they're best at.

bhazen and Classic Car Guy like this.
  16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

A reviewer was told “these are not ‘audiophile’ speakers but speakers for those who just want to feel the music.’”

??? Anyway, the review was positive.

Forgot where this review was, but it’s easily found.

struttincool likes this.
  17. arem

arem Forum Resident

@Benzion No harm, no foul. You have a perspective that many buyers do not, but I think some people are taking your statement that these speakers don’t play rock music well as configured in your setup to mean “these speaker’s can’t play rock”, period. Which would be a shame because the Zus obviously please a lot of listeners, it probably depends a lot on the rest of one’s system and the kind of rock music they listen to.

I’ve owned the Dirty Weekends for almost a year, and I have enjoyed them with all types of music, but they do not make aggressive or abrasive music sound “nicer” for lack of a better word. If you are into say, black metal or some other really raw, underproduced music be ready to have that sound right in your face, they won’t sweeten it up for you.

I’ll also say that have continued to improve as they have broken in and the people at Zu Audio are great to deal with. If you are curious or sitting on the fence you should give them a try, you have very little to lose.

18. Classic Car Guy

Bump...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  19. Benzion

I think you misunderstood. - I DO own the Zu DWII, longer than you have, and I DO like them, enthusiastically - for Jazz and acoustic. They sound great, and the setup is correct.

I've posted a reference to another thread to explain to you what I mean.

20. Well I'd the zus don't do rock and metal, the Tekton Mini lores sure do it well.

21. Classic Car Guy

if the speakers wont play "Vienna - Ultravox" id be broken hearted...:biglaugh:

22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Last try at this because my question may have been poor. You say the dirty Weekend is great for Jazz and Acoustic - I suspect what people want to know who may be planning to buy the speakers is "can they rock and roll and or play classical"

Since it would take you like 2 minutes to connect the wires from you Wharfedales sitting right next to the Zu speakers and listen for 10 minutes to some rock music you can let people know that yes if you put a 200 watt SS amp on the Zyu they will rock or not.

Most people buy one set of speakers and one amplifier so if they buy one set of speakers which amp will be required. In other words many posters who are like me and listen to every kind of music and with limited space have to buy ONE speaker. That speaker has to cover everything. Now I can run several amplifiers and merely disconnect the cables at the speaker end. I have run 100Watt SS amplifiers and 12 watt amp and 7-8 watt amps and on my speakers there isn't a difference in terms of power - all the amps have more than enough bass and drive.

It may not be intentional but you are saying the Zu set-up is limited. And that may be so - but people looking to buy Zu might like to know if it is just limited by the amplifier or the speaker itself is limited. Most people won't likely buy a SET amp.

Indeed, in a roundabout way you are also saying the SS and Wharfedale 'lack' the ability to play to jazz and acoustic.

I mean what if you actually spent the 10 minutes and hooked up your SS amp to the ZU audio and all of a sudden that combination rocked WAY better than the Wharfedales - wow - so now the ZU rocks way better with a SS amp AND is way better than the Wharfedale at Jazz and acoustic. So now you have a speaker better at everything with just an amp change - then you could sell the Warfedales and use the money for something else. It's weird that you would spend all this money and having two speakers side by side which is not good for either speaker sonically (both speakers sound much worse with another speaker sitting next to them), and not spend 10 minutes giving it a whirl. Most 300B SET amps IME sound beautiful but can't rock. They are lounge singer "lady-like" as the Hong Kong dealers describe them - amplifiers. A rare few can rock. I've only heard one and even then it's the best of the 300B at rock it still doesn't rock the way 2a3 can rock.

It may be just my reading of your post but if I were looking to buy ZU you give the impression they're not goo rock speakers so I would not buy a Zu Audio or Whatrfedale or your SS or your SET amplifier because you imply none of them would be good all rounders. This is not an attack just my take on the way you are writing about your systems and I can't imagine that is what you're going for?

23. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I went to the Zu Webstite and looked at the Dirty Weekend and I am puzzled. It says the price is $999. So what is the sale?

Fellow Dagogo reviewer Dan Rubin reviewed the Dirty Weekend in 2018 and the price was $999. Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend speakers Review

So what am I missing?

24. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

They only go on sale about 3 times a year. 100 pairs each time.

25. Benzion

I never so much as implied that Wharfedale/Parasound combo can't do Jazz - they can, and do a swell job. The Zu/SET combo just does it better - more natural. Wharf/Para combo has a warm signature, while Zu/SET is neutral - I like to hear jazz instruments as played/recorded. It is the more dynamic music I prefer colored "warmer", as it would be harsh/fatiguing otherwise, played at loud SPLs - I like my dynamic music played at about 77 dB average, 83-84 dB peaks. Warmth makes it pleasant and non-fatiguing.

As to my quoting the Zu with SET - this is precisely what the OP asked for - he is considering paring them with a 300B integrated - and to play Jazz, to boot! So my answer falls perfectly into the context of the thread.

As to pairing Zu with high-power SS amps, @SandAndGlass has done it, and reports he wouldn't do it again. - I believe him, and instinctively have the same gut feeling. You may want to ask him for more detail about his experience.

However, as a favor to you, I will swap cables tomorrow to see if the Zu are any good for dynamic music paired with a high power SS amp - an unnatural pairing IMO.

Oh, BTW, forgot to mention: if I was forced, by unfortunate turn of events, to give up all but one of my systems, the tube pre/Parasound/Wharfedale system would be the one I keep. It is a true all-around performer, and can do all kinds of music, even if not necessarily with the precision and finesse of truly hi-end systems. So you see - they can do Jazz, and well!

Richard Austen and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.