Technics SL1400

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John T, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John T

John T Member Thread Starter

I purchased an AT 440MLa cartridge to go with my SL 1400 turntable. Paired it with an Emotiva XPS-1 pre amp and running it through my Yamaha Aventage RX 3050. I am running through Audio 2 channel not the phono jack. Before I bought the XPS-1 I tried to just run the set up through the phono input. The sound was extremely muffled and no power at all, no highs. So I bought the XPS-1 set both left and right to MM and 47 ohm resistance. Still not happy with the muffled sound. The Yamaha suggests using Pure Direct setting, which I did. Still not good. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the sound. All plug ins and hook ups have been double and triple checked. I am frustrated and willing to try anything to get what I expected with this set up. Please help if you can. Thank you, John

2. boyhitscar

boyhitscar Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="John T, post: 24352276, member: 77388" All plug ins and hook ups have been double and triple checked.[/QUOTE]

you sure the stylus is properly inserted into the cart? and the cart properly connected to arm?

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

What cart did you have before on the SL1400 and how did it sound and how was it connected?

4. John T

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestion tonight. I bought the turn table from a friend and it worked fine for him. The first thing I did was upgrade the cartridge. I don’t have the old cartridge to reinstall it (my fault) to try but I am going to try my brother in laws cartridge to see if there is a difference. I am open to all suggestions. Thank you guys, I will try your suggestions. John

5. John T

To boyhitscar, I pulled everything apart gently brushed it and re-assembled it with no changes. The cartridge and needle are brand new (well out of warranty now). Next step is to try a different cartridge. I looked at the needle under high magnification and it looked good, no chips.

6. John T

7. John T

Well, I changed out the cartridge and no difference. I am truly stumped. I have a post on the Yamaha site also, thinking it might be a setting on the receiver. We will see. Frustration is setting in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.