Ringo Starr Filmography- what ones have you seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It’s really bad.

joelee likes this.
  2. Yes but he wasn’t the original narrator for that. Dustin Hoffman was and Ringo replaced him for contractual reasons.

3. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

It is. I have it as a double feature with TBTD. I saw it many times over the years on late night tv though.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I saw Caveman in the theatre as a kid. There must have been a pretty big promotional push for it to have been on my radar. Not sure I knew who Ringo was at the time. All I remember about the movie is a gag where someone (a blind person?) fondles a T Rex. Anyway, that’s the only one I’ve seen.

mj_patrick and Aar Gal like this.
  5. peteham

peteham Senior Member

No - he’s quite accomplished in That’ll Be The Day.

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I remember him appearing on all the talk shows promoting Caveman.

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

My expectations were really, really low, but I thought that maybe it would be so bad that I could have a few laughs. When I finally saw Son of Dracula on YouTube, I was aghast at how inept and insipid it actually was. It is bad, really, really bad. Watching Ringo in this will convince you he has no acting talent (though he does, sometimes).

wayneklein and Aar Gal like this.
  8. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Great poster this!

[​IMG]

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Just thought about that one too!

10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Those are VERY ‘British’ films! I would assume that most Americans wouldn’t understand the dialect, humor, or the lifestyle they portray! I don’t recall “That’ll Be The Day” ever being on regular TV here in the L.A. area. “Magic Christian” was shown- severely cut up (especially the scene with “Something In The Air” playing!) on late- night weekend movie shows once or twice....

11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I barely remember seeing it a long time ago. The version I saw had Ringo as the Narrator.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Only the original TV broadcast had Dustin Hoffman as the narrator.

For the VHS and DVD release, Ringo became the narrator. Probably some difficulty ($$$-wise) with Dustin, so Ringo replace him for the narration

13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Magic Christian and Candy are similar counterculture type films. Magic Christian is episodic and uneven but it definitely has some great moments and Ringo is the second lead and does a fine job holding his own against Peter Sellers. Candy is also episodic but also mostly terrible and Ringo's part is basically a glorified cameo. Frankly, if it weren't for creamy, dreamy Ewa Aulin, Candy might be downright unwatchable. It certainly doesn't do Richard Burton any favors.

elaterium likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Once again... The luckiest man on Earth: ;)

[​IMG]

15. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Yes, it didn't make sense until I saw it on DVD

16. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I have a theater one-sheet poster of that somewhere in my storage collection. The t-shirt iron-on graphic that came in the original soundtrack album had Bite It on them as well.

[​IMG]

My smaller horizontal Lisztomania poster is hanging in our living room.

[​IMG]

Shawn and Aar Gal like this.
  17. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I've seen bits of just about all of them, though I don't know if I ever seen one in its entirety...

Steve Litos likes this.
  18. Aar Gal

nice posters...this is a good one

[​IMG]

applebonkerz likes this.
  19. Aar Gal

Dustin was paid $20k for a one time broadcast. subsequent broadcasts had Alan Barzman (2nd) and Alan Thicke (3rd - shown in the 80s/90s). Then for VHS/DVD Ringo did it. if you saw it in the 80s/90s it was probably Alan Thicke.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Well, someone certainly knows their stuff when it comes to THE POINT! :thumbsup:

Buddybud and Aar Gal like this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Frank gave Ringo a nice monologue smack in the middle of the film:

PS. How 'bout that awful TV special where he played Ognir Rrats?

22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Ooo, that special is pretty painful too. George is even in it and it doesn't help.

vince likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

First saw That'll Be The Day one night unexpectedly on late night TV many years ago. I had previously read good things about Ringo's acting and the film in general. I wasn't disappointed. One of the best music focussed films I've encountered.

24. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I think Caveman came along at the time the USA was getting wired up for subscription and cable television.

So it was on all the time in the early 80s.

Magic Christian was shown a few times on a local, non-network, station but during prime time hours in the 1970s-80s. Peter Sellers after all was a big comic star.

That'll Be The Day - was not on tv and I bet not at most video rental places.
    The first time I saw it was after I bought a tape copy from a video rental store that was selling off everything circa late 90s.

Hall Cat likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I was talking about The Beatles with a co-worker a couple of months ago and we got onto their movies and he asked me if I had ever seen ' The Magic Christian '.
    I had seen it a few times over the years and we discussed certain scenes. He was quite entertaining and detailed .in his relating of some of it.
    I asked him when he had seen it last. He said he had only seen it once on the big screen back in 1970 !

Aar Gal and Steve Litos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.