Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I just read an interview with Alex Gansa and yes, he wears his politics on his sleeve (wouldn't go further because of the forum rules).

‘Homeland’ Series Finale: Co-Creator Alex Gansa On The Final Twist, Potential Revival, Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin & The Story They Never Got To Tell

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

A funny one from heavy.com

"From double agent Aldrich Ames to Gorbachev’s detente, Saul’s asset is supposed to be in a position to know pretty much everything the Russians were up to in the past 30-plus years. How would an interpreter be in a position to know these things? She wouldn’t be needed to interpret what Russians say to Russians, and that’s likely how they’d be talking about these things, right? Also, since the Russians know the spy likely came out of Saul’s East Berlin days, how hard would it be for the Russians to narrow the spy down to her?"

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  3. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Verrrry interesting.

... the idea for Carrie writing a book didn’t come until 24 hours before we shot those scenes.

... Mandy really advocated, like vehemently advocated, for a hopeful ending.

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, Carrie taking place of a person she sacrificed is quite a strong ending in terms of dramaturgy and a sort of redemption. I would like it a lot if Danes' acting was as great as the plot demanded. It wasn't sadly. She delivered several superb performances throughout the series only to sleepwalk through the grand finale maybe shedding a few tears.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I was an avid fan and viewer, however this continually growing idea of making fans
    wait a year, and more to continue.. Forget it! They dropped the ball, did not work for me.
    It was so good at one point. Sad, and a missed opportunity I feel.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They’re essentially making 8 to 12 hour-long movies with each season. I think it’s damned impressive what gets pulled off in a year or 18 months.

windfall and Thomas D like this.
  7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Every show is like that. I had to rewatch seasons 1, 2 of Babylon Berlin from 2-3 years ago before starting season 3.

On the other hand, I just jumped straight into season 7 of Engrenages/Spiral without doing a refresher, and it was a bit challenging.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Sure it's not a sitcom. High budget show mostly shot overseas. Takes a year to make each season.

9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have been watching this series on Netflix for the past couple of months.
    Just starting season six.
    Is it just me or has the show lost its way.
    I think I’m done...

10. DLD

DLD Senior Member

My advice, watch the last cupla episodes of Season 7 and all of the VERY good Season 8. Don't worry about not knowing what's going on in S7. S8 is its own story but does have a key holdover element from S7. I thought the show lost its way after S2 and got back on firmer footing in S7 & especially S8. Loved the series finale episode (9.5* on IMDB)

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Don't waste your time. Go to Fauda instead.

gkella likes this.
  12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Agreed, based on Season 6, worst story line so far and seeing Quinn’s character struggle was hard to watch.
    And Clare Danes constantly on the verge of tears
    But I’ll watch the last 2 seasons hoping for a bounce back

13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I asked my daughters opinion as she watched the last two seasons.
    If she is correct..you will be disappointed..

14. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Watching S5 - hard to say where it's going now.

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

100% on rotten. Never heard of this one before. Thanks!

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen seasons 1-5... what’s the rest of the seasons like ?

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

When you see Quinn's character come back from the super secret Government hospital where they manage to make him better than new and with the strength of three men and a computer-driven AI-augmented brain is pretty cool. Think Six Million Dollar man cool. Like, really cool. Keep watching to get to that, at least.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  18. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

The best thing the show did was get rid of Brody, and dangit that should have happened sooner. I wanted to spend a lot more time with Peter Quinn, and my god Rupert Friend should have won several Emmys for his portrayal, particularly in Season 6.

The finale is good, but I agree with the posters above that I got sick of seeing Carrie constantly on the verge of tears, and Saul's arc makes no sense. He's clearly a superspy, but he's completely emasculated.

At least neither of them is a lumberjack.

19. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Season 3, a trainwreck. The Dana story line went on endlessly and, who cared about her anyway? I agree, resolve the Brody storyline in S2 and build on Quinn, the middle east and or Russia. I do think the showrunner and writers redeemed themselves in the last season tho.

'05Train likes this.
  20. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Ohgoshyes. I'd forgotten about the awful Dana stuff.

Brody's story could have been wrapped up in a season had they jettisoned all of the Brody Family Drama. Peter was a far more compelling character, and his arc through the story is a thing of terrible beauty. I can't go on enough about how powerful Rupert Friend was in that role.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought season 6-8 were great.

Those seasons were all 4.6/5 on google reviews with thousands of ratings.

22. alexpop

I’ll buy the complete 1-8 dvd box when it’s made available.

Thx!

Brenald79 likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My 2 real life sources for tv show recommendations loved seasons 6-8. My friend who introduced me to Banshee. And my mom.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Yeah! Banshee. I was recommended that via my Deadwood... what next thread. Really enjoyed banshee.

With Homeland ., i really liked season 1-3 thought 4&5 were ok( got rid of my 1-5 box a couple of years ago).. hence me asking about season 6/7/8.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

It held up for eight seasons and the last season was OK. I can't think of a long running series that keeps it up for that long. Even the Sopranos, which I consider the best TV show ever, really faded in its last season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.