Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Wow. In that case, I’ll consider myself to be very lucky because they’ve all been quiet pressings so far and I’ve bought all of them.

2. sparkmeister

The Sign O the Times Blu-ray (EU edition) is currently £8.49 on amazon.co.uk

Starwanderer, jhm and hiterss like this.
  3. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Up until rave in2 all of mine were very quiet too - a couple send backs for off-centre pressings or warping, but nothing out of line with usual. This latest batch though - ouch. 4 copies of ONAL, 3 of Rainbow Children, 3 of Rave in2 and not a decent pressing (mainly pronounced crackle) - just spun Emancipation disc one and couldn't believe the change in quality (and bought a bunch of other discs at same time as the Prince batch that were fine), am wondering if it might be a COVID related problem. I'm giving up on those 3 titles now and hoping for a repress.

Matthew Tate and CBackley like this.
  4. sparkmeister

5. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Any idea how the EU version compares to the Aus? I have the Aus version but if the EU is an upgrade at 8.49 I'll bite...

6. sparkmeister

I’ve no idea sorry. I’ve just ordered one but I’ve never seen SOTT on Blu-ray before and will have nothing to compare it to.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I listened to the whole album because i kept getting told how great it was, etc. etc. So I tried to see what all the hype was about but the "partial" singing and general moping just didn't do anything at all for me. Worse than that, I found it extremely boring. She can have her fans and people can call her a genius but I simply don't see it. Prince may not have written extremely great lyrics for a lot of songs but I never found him boring (until the 90s).

Many people tried to tell me that Prince was a rip off of Sly and Jimi but I found him more a fusion of both, along with James Brown and George Clinton, of course.

8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The price of the cd version of the SOTT deluxe has come down again on Amazon UK to £159.90

Matthew Tate and Gavaxeman like this.
  9. sparkmeister

and Little Richard...

Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  10. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

How is one person on a forum you visit indicative of an entire generation of music listeners? That is absurd :laugh: I've been to forums and subreddits that focus on modern pop music and seen plenty of folks who love and respect music of past generations. Music is changing and the way people engage with it is changing. You might not understand or enjoy it, but it still has merit.

I'm gonna stop there so I don't derail this thread any further, but please - stop writing off the current generation just because they don't live up to your specific standards.

11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

this guy in question is 27 years old but you'd think he was 11 by the way he is dismissive towards everything made beyond 5-6 years ago (although he does like Madonna for some reason). I like perhaps four Kenny Rogers songs total but his comments made me angry because he showed absolute ignorance, arrogance and a total dismissal of anything that isn't "his" when the reality was that Kenny was a major star at some point and quite a few of the 30-somethings there (I just slide out a few months, being 40 1/2) actually do remember his music thanks to our parents.

And who says I dislike all modern pop music? In recent months I've enjoyed top 10 hits from The Weeknd, Doja Cat, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa and Gaga/Ariana Grande for instance. But yea...I do see a bit more ageism than in decades past. Madonna catches more hell for being "old" than Mick Jagger got when I was a teenager, back then we were more taught to revere our over-50 icons that were still going strong, today you're essentially out to pasture if you're past 35. It seemed to really start around the turn of the century but has gotten worse since. The days of someone the same age as Cher or Santana were in 1999 having their biggest hits today is completely unthinkable now. That would be like Janet Jackson or Celine Dion having the biggest hit record of their career today... where are Janet Jackson and Celine Dion on radio? That's right... neither have had a top 40 hit in well over ten years

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

13. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Globally all these pressings have been done by MPO in France. From all the complaints the pressings have been inconsistent to say the least.
    I am still searching for a decent ONA solo piano

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Can you imagine how mindblowing and confusing an 8CD version of the album would have seemed in 1987? Or how confusing the 9th disc would be? “What the hell is...DVD?”

15. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I had mine sent from US to Australia and it all arrived OK on the outside but sadly the 1999 album itself had damage along the top - I think it was packed that way :-(
    But the pressing was flawless so I kept it as it was harder to get than golden goose teeth at the time.

16. April Snow

I am still searching for ONA Live Disc 3 & ONA solo Piano too - I have been through 2 of each in returns and it is still the same horrible swooshing sound right though................kept them now and will swap them hopefully with a new pressing?

17. April Snow

The CD release I am thinking won't have separate sleeves for the CDs themselves (like the Vinyl)? I am thinking that there will be four slots in the Front of the book and four slots in the back of the book - same as they did for the Freddie Mercury Solo Collection or the Queen Jazz Box? So that will be less bang for your buck too then? just a book with CDs slotted into it maybe? Shall be interesting to see what you get for $330 Aussie dollars there...................

Regarding Mofi Sleeves though for the vinyl, I have to say I have never had any issues with MOFI sleeves, they slide like butter ............love them :)

18. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The price of the 8CD+DVD edition is currently about €114 + shipping on Amazon.it. So that translates to about GBP100 I think. A pretty good price, I'd say. This is now no longer my most expensive CD purchase ever (that is the Beatles In Mono CD box).
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B08BMSF4XT

19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Cher and Santana were left-field flukes at the time. One was bolstered by the usage of a then-new voice pitch-shifting software that would go on to define a generation, while the other played guitar on an album filled with younger artists, including the then-current Rob Thomas on vocals for the hit single.

I understand that you've had a run-in with someone younger who was dismissive towards you. But there are ageist people in every generation. How many times do you suppose I've been treated dismissively by Boomers on these forums? A lot more than I've ever been dismissed by millennials.

Also, I'm a teacher, and have been for 26 years. As such, my anecdotal evidence may be a bit more representative than yours. And my students love many older artists, although Prince isn't among them. Also, I haven't really seen much difference in general ageism through the years. YMMV.

But as I mentioned before, even if kids don't listen to as much music by older artists as we did, part of that is exposure. We used to have common TV shows and movies that everyone saw. And in those TV shows and movies, we were introduced to songs we'd never heard before. But everything is so fragmented now, because of the near-infinite choices available on the internet, that it has changed the very way we socialize. And it has changed how we absorb information and entertainment, including music.

But a good biopic can fix that, because those kinds of movies tend to trend well with younger audiences. Queen and Elton John both got renewed interest from their respective biopics, and the sales figures reflected that. Maybe the same could happen with Prince.

Anyway, as someone else already commented, this is getting precariously close to threadcrapping. And I've already gotten in trouble for that once on this thread. So, feel free to start a new thread about "Generational Bias," and invite me, and I'd be glad to discuss it further. But for the time being, this is the last I'll comment on the subject.

20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

If you don't mind me asking, are there any artists under the age of 30 that you do listen to? Because otherwise, complaining about kids not listening to older artists like Prince seems a bit hypocritical.

Turntable and obi like this.
  21. Dark Horse 77

A) It was not complaining; it was an explanation of how I felt so that statement holds no validity.
    B) Amy Winehouse, but she never made it to 30.
    C) I wish there was an artist under 30 that was interesting enough to follow.

StevelandJudkins likes this.
  22. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I wish that for you, as well.

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

So how's this new vinyl pressing/mastering compare to the previous pressing (which, honestly, sounds pretty good!)?

24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Online forums are filled with virtual versions of real people, wher the virtual people post outrageous and imbecilic screds for their own and others enjoyment.
    Just in case you didnt know that.;)

25. Dark Horse 77

I appreciate your wish.

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.