POLL: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary Series (2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SJR, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man Thread Starter

Here it is, the long-awaited 2nd version of the poll ;)

As the Blue Note 80th Anniversary Series has now wrapped up, I thought I'd create a new updated poll, a continuation on from the one I made at the end of last year for the 2019 releases:

POLL: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary Series

I've taken the 10 most popular titles from the previous poll and added the 12 titles released this year.

I've really enjoyed this series, despite the no-frills packaging, lower resolution album cover art and the poor paper inner sleeves, on some (compared to the Tone Poets). Though, at their price they are unbeatable.

It's been a great source of listening pleasure and it's helped broaden my discovery of jazz in the process.

Hopefully this will help as a guide for newbies to the genre, who want to dip their toes into Blue Note jazz, but without having to pay a fortune for expensive originals or "audiophile" reissues.

Please pick your Top 10 favourites.

Mine, in no preferred order:

Art Blakey — Indestructible
    Donald Byrd — Ethiopian Knights
    Herbie Hancock — Takin' Off
    Andrew Hill – Smoke Stack
    Kenny Dorham — Una Mas
    Lou Donaldson — Alligator Boogaloo
    Dexter Gordon – A Swingin' Affair
    Pete LaRoca – Basra
    John Scofield – Hand Jive
    Larry Young – Into Somethin'

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I’ve bought about 14 BN80 titles, but to be honest, I haven’t listened to any of them yet. Not all of them are new to me though as I owned some on CD already.

I’ll have to wait to vote until I get through those titles, which will take a while.

SJR likes this.
  3. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Just received a slew of the 80 series from the Target sale, so there's a bunch that I haven't listened to yet. Still waiting on the delivery of the final three. Will vote upon hearing them all, but immediate mention goes to the Blakeys and Basra as my favorites thus far.

SJR likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My criteria includes both the music and the sound quality.

Unfortunately, there are some sonic issues which seriously undermine the music. While I haven't heard all of those listed, Tony Williams' Foreign Intrigue is at the top of my list, followed by Art Blakey's Buhaina's Delight.

A marvelous album, Herbie Hancock's Inventions & Dimensions, was undermined by some severe pitch fluttering. I'm thankful for having been introduced to it by the BN80 reissue. And the reissue is quite musical in other ways, but the flaw is quite noticeable to my ears, so I can only recommend it with a great caveat.

chris8519 and SJR like this.
  5. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Indestructible
    Grant’s First Stand
    Ethiopian Knights

farewelltransmission and SJR like this.
  6. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Also Una Mas

SJR likes this.
  7. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Maybe it's not among " the 10 most popular titles from the previous poll," but Lou Donaldson's Alligator Boogaloo is probably my favorite.

I voted nonetheless. Cool idea.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Crazysteve and SJR like this.
  8. SJR

Yes, it’s one of my favourites too but it didn’t get the votes from the previous poll. I don’t know why, it’s fantastic!

MisterBritt likes this.
  9. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I don't own any BN80, but I do own all but three of these in some form so I just voted on the music but Vintage BNs are remarkably consistent in quality. There's nothing on that list I actively dislike, even after the vintage years.

SJR likes this.
  10. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Indestructible has a lot of votes but I feel like I have t seen folks comment on it very much, can anyone speak why it ranks high for them? I’m interested in buying it

11. SJR

Well, the album smokes from start to finish. It's a real powerhouse performance. It sounds incredible and the playing line-up is stellar — Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton and Reggie Workman.

It was also the final Jazz Messengers album for half the band — Wayne Shorter left to join Miles Davis' 2nd Great Quintet.

12. I still need to pick that one up.

SJR likes this.
  13. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I’m pretty much with the crowd here bar Trompeta Toccata which is definitely in my top 5. Basra deservedly in #1 position. :righton:

jwoverho and SJR like this.
  14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Basra likely my favorite. Still waiting for target to send last 3. I also dig Una Mas and "A.T.'s Delight"

SJR likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Damn, realizing that I haven't gotten any of these yet. Nevertheless, voted for the 2 I'd snag first: Young's Into Somethin' & Williams' Intrigue.

SJR likes this.
  16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Six of my favorites-
    Open Sesame
    Alligator Bogalloo
    Indestructible
    Inventions & Dimensions
    Basra
    Una Mas

SJR and MisterBritt like this.
  17. SJR

Top 5 so far:

Basra
    Smoke Stack
    Inventions & Dimensions
    Indestructible
    In 'N Out / Una Mas

Kimiimacman and Crazysteve like this.
  18. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

So it’s a top 7 for me. I forgot Smoke Stack.
    To reiterate Mr. Britt’s point, the Lou Donaldson‘s on blue note 80 and on Tone Poet are both incredible. We need Midnight Creeper immediately.

MisterBritt and SJR like this.
  19. SJR

Yes, I love both those Lou Donaldson titles. They groove hard. Alligator Bogaloo would be in my Top 10 but it seems it wasn't too popular in the last poll.

MisterBritt and Crazysteve like this.
  20. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Listening to this one for the first time as I type, having just acquired it from the target sale this week. The sound of this release is stunning. One Cylinder is a killer slow groove.

MisterBritt, Crazysteve and SJR like this.
  21. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

The Blakey records, Dexter’s Doin’ Alright and Grant’s First Stand are my current top spinners out of the 9 I already own. Waiting on a few of the later ones to arrive from my local record store - Fickle Sonance, Swingin Affair and Into Something, so looking forward to hearing them.

SJR likes this.
  22. SJR

Nudge.

23. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Inventions and Dimensions is getting a lot of love - I was reluctant to purchase due to comments about sound - do most feel this is not a major issue on this release? Is it as noticeable as TP Black Fire?

24. SJR

Weekend bump!

25. SJR

I think some believe it to be worse than the sound issues on Black Fire. Again, I'm aware of it but it doesn't affect me. Some can't stand the sound, though. Obviously the OOP mega-expensive MM pressing is the one to get for this title if you can.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.