Discog Help

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Detroiter in the South, May 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

From personal experience, I find the country of origin of the release tends to be the country with the most copies available for sale, i.e. a British release is mostly available from UK sellers, or a US release is mostly available from US sellers.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a question. If I list an LP for sale at Discogs and it shows 3 people have it and 8 or 10 want it, I take it that is better (as a seller) than the reverse of 2 want it and 20 have it.

Do the folks that have the title on their want list get a notice that one has been added to the seller list for this item? So they are promoting your item to potential buyers that previously stated an interest?

3. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I don't know discogs very well and I just recently became a member there but when I put things on my want list I get no notifications from sellers. I can see how many sellers own it and it allows me to shop among the selections that are available. Maybe this is just a way for you to take initiative and go to buyers and make an offer to them or something. I know that in eBay it's the same situation and some sellers make a special offer for a limited time if I want to take advantage of it I can save so much in their offer.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes but only when it's first listed for sale. In order of it to appear again on want list emails, sellers need to delist and re-add the title. This is one of the biggest complaints with want lists on Discogs; sellers re-adding titles. A lot of members don't like it as it clogs up their want list emails.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

On Discogs, when you add a title to your want list, the sellers don't know about it.

The way it works is, when you add the title to your want list you get notified when a seller adds the title (any existing for sale listings will be ignored). You won't get a specific email for each title though. They send a message which lists all the titles that were recently added for sale that also appear on your want list.

On Discogs, you can't make an offer to potential buyers like you can on eBay. It's not automated in the same way. Sellers basically wait for buyers to come to them, which is what most sellers on eBay do anyway.

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. Francophile50

This is true about eBay however when someone looks at your listing there is a hit and you're notified or you can see when people are looking at your listing or even adding it to their watch list. That said you can go ahead and make an offer to them if you're motivated to move the item for less money. If you've added a make offer to your listing offers can come in.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

On eBay you can also (sometimes anyway) pitch an offer to a potential buyer who was watching your item after it ends with no sale.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm fine with the notice being given only once. Repeat notices might make the potential buyer put it off for later. Like crying wold too many times. I want my items to seem special and not always going to be around at the condition and prices.

I do see the little red boxes next to my items in the inventory pages. The red box means more folks what it than ones who already have it. A bright green box means the opposite. Luckily I have a ton of stuff in super condition that others do not have. And tons of things where I am the only US seller offering it. The downside is the market for the given item is outside of the US as well.

I can hold out for a while at the highest price listed (as well as the top condition too). I'll drop some prices after 30 - 60 days.

9. Francophile50

And I have had offers made to me I'm given 48 hours to respond and if it's a fair deal I'll take them up on it. It's a win-win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.