Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this great SACD. I was reminded of it by this survey by Hurwitz:

2. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 2 from the above set. CDs pressed in Japan.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning foggy and early:[​IMG]

mBen989, layman, Starwanderer and 4 others like this.
  4. Daedalus

Got this box set yesterday. I will start listening later today.[​IMG]

layman, Starwanderer and J.A.W. like this.
  5. Daedalus

A beautiful recording. From the Monteux box. [​IMG]

6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 7-14 from the above set. CDs pressed in Japan.

I was enjoying Op. 2 so much yesterday that I almost ordered the COmplete Backhaus box, but then I realized I had about 65% of it already and the bits I don't have I am not that keen on. Plus, I would then have to get rid of all the individual box set and CDs since my space is limited. So, I'm sticking with what I got!

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Y'know, George, that's often the conclusion I've come to when tempted by "Complete" editions or "Newly Remastered" releases of music I already have. Admittedly, most of my music collection is old and a lot of it is vinyl, but it serves--and has served--me quite well.

Don't get me wrong: I think today's new box sets are superb and I'm very happy for those I see buying them. It's a thrilling time now for anyone amassing a classical music collection, with studios digging into their vaults to release these beauties with a low per-disc cost.

However, for me to part with my money for a new box set, I would have to really want it because (a.) it's music I don't have, or (b.) a revelatory new performance/interpretation, or (rarely) the remastering has vastly improved a recording I especially love.

I do make exceptions, though... if the price is dirt cheap or the item in question is by GG. ;)

George P and Eigenvector like this.
  8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Reger: Telemann Variations/ Erik Then-Bergh
    Beethoven: Diabelli Variations/ Paul Baumgartner
    Eloquence, 2017
    Originally recorded for the Archiv label.
    The Reger variations were recorded in 1951.
    The Diabelli variations were recorded in 1952.
    Erik Then-Bergh didn't record the 20th Reger variation. He is on record as telling a student that he thought number 20 was boring.

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Far be it from me to argue with the esteemed pianist, but--no. Besides being quite a lovely, airy passage in its own right, it serves as a transition in color and texture between the contrasting 19th and 21st variations. I've always felt that Reger structured the set as an organic whole. Leaving out a variation would upset that vision.

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Playing the Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 tonight. French pianist Samson François is soloist. Album also includes the Rondo In C For Two Pianos, Op. 73, where François is joined by Pierre Barbizet.

LP made in France by Pathé Marconi EMI, released in 1972. The recording must pre-date this particular release by a few years, since François died in 1970.

[​IMG]

Images of Chopin and Samson François from the album gatefold:

[​IMG]

layman, crispi, Starwanderer and 6 others like this.
  11. George P

I need to revisit his Chopin in the big EMI CD set.

Wes H likes this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now on the turntable: A 1979 RCA record which is a compilation of two earlier Artur Rubinstein recordings.
    The Franck and the Bach-Busoni works were recorded June 1970 in RCA's Rome studio.
    The Mozart Rondo was recorded in December 1959 at the New York Academy of Fine Arts and Letters.

[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

As promised, enjoying the Nocturnes by Francois.

layman, Bubbamike, crispi and 6 others like this.
  14. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

That’s how I am with the “big boxes”, between what I have already and what’s in the box that I don’t really want, there may only be a couple of things that I’m really interested in. As a result I don’t have too many of them.

George P likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:righton:

I don't have this, but wish I did.

Is there a date on the recording?

George P likes this.
  16. George P

1966 - this is the set I have (I used the image above out of laziness):

Wes H likes this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Nice! Lovely performance... and the sound seems very good, too (based on what I can discern through my computer's speakers). I bet it's a wonderful set.
    Thanks for the YouTube link.:wave:

George P likes this.
  18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listened to the Diabelli Variations:
    Cecile Ousset
    The Decca France recordings
    Eloquence, 2019

[​IMG]

layman, Eigenvector, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  19. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Strange choice for a cover photo.

Ian Roberts likes this.
  20. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Fortune’s always hiding ⚒

[​IMG]
    Was wondering if anyone owns this set please? I intend buying the Bach Cello Suites and noticed this on Amazon at a good price. Is it worth getting or are there better versions by other artists? Thanks in advance

mBen989, layman and peskypesky like this.
  21. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

For me Casals is worth more for its historical significance rather than the enjoyment I get from listening to these. Plus, the vintage 78-rpm recorded sound is an acquired taste, even with better masterings (this is not one of them). It would thus never be my first choice for an introduction to these works, as it takes time and patience in order to appreciate the Casals. (At least that’s how I felt.)

So, in my opinion: yes, there are both better recordings, and way better versions of this very recording.

For warm, romantic yet nimble sound get Pierre Fournier’s (Archiv). For a more historically-informed, more conversational and improvisatory style of playing, I like Anner Bylsma (Sony).

And the best sounding version of those Casals recordings is on the Japanese Opus Kura label. Still, like I said, those recordings are from the 1930s, so...

22. Ian Roberts

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes I’ve read elsewhere about the quality of the recordings given the time period they originate from. I actually played a cd the other day that sounded like an old crackly record. Not sure that’s what I’m after at the moment. I’ll take a look at the Fournier ((Archiv), and Bylsma albums and see what I can find. Cheers

crispi likes this.
  23. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Yo Yo Ma has recorded the Bach Cello Suites a few times, with the most recent one issued about 18 months ago (titled “Evolutions” iirc). I couldn’t tell you how it compares to other artists, but it really is one of my favorite cds from the past several years. I would guess you can find it for a fairly good price.

Ian Roberts likes this.
  24. George P

This shows how subjective this stuff is. I compared about a dozen sets of Bach Cello suites a few years back and Yo Yo was one of my least favorites.

25. Ian Roberts

I have streamed the Yo Yo Ma - Six Evolutions a couple of times recently and liked it originally. I’m currently working streaming the Rostropovich version and have to say I definitely prefer it. Excellent interpretation in my inexperienced opinion

[​IMG]