Online CD and Vinyl LP stores what are the best and worst ones?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Francophile50, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear. Thread Starter

I saw some members commenting about some stores in another thread so I decided to look up and see what thread had listed all of them and I couldn't find any so I decided we need to have a thread that addresses this.

To be honest with you I've only used really one site primarily most of the time. I'm an eBay guy and have never really had more than a couple bad experiences there.they have a really friendly website and you can look up almost anything and find quite a bit of variance. You can find high-end things as well as things for almost nothing.

Now they don't have everything all the time that's why we need to go to other sites too. In the pursuit of one title I did find it at another site called eil.com. they were good I bought their CD really cheap, however they didn't provide tracking so I had to pay additional for tracking and that cost me almost as much as the CD. They're not a great sight for bargains. But to be fair from England to America the CD came in about a week.

Many people have been talking about Discogs and I'm still trying to figure it out. I've found out how to add to a wishlist but still not encouraged enough to buy a CD from them yet. I don't know how you can look at the individual seller and their feedback review to determine if it's someone you want to do business with. What is there shipping like? These are a little things I need to figure out but I'm working at it. I will eventually order something from them just to determine what kind of experience I can get from this site.

I have also heard about Musicmagpie/Declutter I heard they send out anything and say it's in good shape. I think their quality control is being governed by the need for profit.

I've heard the pretty much the same thing about deep discount. That's the guys with the symbol of the shark.

I've heard mixed reviews about Amazon.

But you tell me. I found most of the websites that weren't eBay very difficult to navigate a lot of the buttons are small and hidden so it's hard to navigate a lot of these. it's almost like you have to know exactly how the entire site works before you even use it but there's nothing there to explain to you how it works.

Let us all know what your best and worst experience with any sites listed or ones that weren't listed.

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don’t trust most online sellers. I can say that I have had great luck with importcds and madrushmedia on Ebay. There is another one who specializes in Japanese imports who is called jnicksmom.

As far as the bad ones are concerned, I have had bad experiences with moviemars. I have used them on Amazon and EBay. I would say that I have received my order through them about 70% of the time. The other 30% of the time they refund my money and tell me I have to reorder. Sometimes they give me a lame excuse (the same one every time) while other times they say nothing at all.

3. brentolie

brentolie El Aventurero

I've had some bad experiences with MovieMars recently. I have one more thing on order from them, which I hope arrives without problem. I'm pretty sure I won't be ordering from them anymore.

eric777 likes this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I wish you luck. The last thing I ordered took a month to ship. The entire time I was waiting I was worried they would cancel the order on me like before. Thankfully they didn’t but I won’t be ordering from them again.

5. brentolie

brentolie El Aventurero

Oh, it's been shipped. Whether it will actually be what I ordered when it gets here is another matter entirely. That's been my issue of late.

eric777 likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Discogs is great. To check a seller's feedback, just click on the seller's name, then click on their feedback.

Personally, I like Discogs a lot better than eBay. The sellers on Discogs as a whole are better at grading condition, IMO.

tmtomh, Instant Dharma and ODShowtime like this.
  7. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

eBay and Discogs for me. I go between the two depending on where I can get a disc cheaper. Some eBay sellers have much more acceptable shipping prices to Australia than Discog sellers do. Though both platforms have expensive shipping from the US so I tend to not purchase from US sellers and focus on European and UK based sellers.

8. Francophile50

I guess the postage to and from Australia is just a killer. I will buy things from Australia because their product is really good. the only thing is the title if it's available in America I'll buy it from America if it's only available in Australia I guess I'll buy from Australia.

I checked those places that you told me had eBay sellers but it looks like they've stopped selling on eBay. I did find import CDs had their own website and it looked a little sparse. I did find moviemars as well but it only looks like they're selling DVDs and if they did sell CDs there website didn't promote it.

9. AirJordanFan93

Yeah its a pain. Its why I try to only buy from Australian, European and UK sellers since the shipping is more reasonable or at least to me it is.

10. Francophile50

I have a question for you. Do you feel that foreign CDs are superior to your domestic CDs or do you think your domestic CDs are superior to foreign CDs? In other words do you prefer Japanese CDs or American CDs?

11. AirJordanFan93

Im not enough of an audiophile to tell the difference. I only have a handful of Japanese CDs most of which were made for the European market.

12. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Dusty Groove in Chicago rocks.
    Packaging is solid, used items are better than described
    and I normally receive my order in three days for $7.80 flat.

raindog69 and Campbell Saddler like this.
  13. Francophile50

Holy Ship! I wish all places were like that.

MrSka57 likes this.
  14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I ordered once from moviemars not a great experience..
    ebay mostly and importcds.. and rarewaves at times.

15. Francophile50

I was just curious. I know everybody's different and we have all walks of life here and I'm a lot like you. I don't really measure decibel levels or get to critical about compilations or track listings.

I know that some CDs or packages are more desirable than others but I just want the basic CD and I wanted it to sound good. I kind of noticed that Australian CDs tend to be pretty good about how they package they're content. I have a few of them. What I like most is they still hang on to the jewel boxes and aren't giving way to the digipaks. I have a few Australian CDs and what I do have I like.

16. AirJordanFan93

We get a lot of digipacks here.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I can vouch for Dusty. Would love to check that place out one day.

psubliminal, raindog69 and MrSka57 like this.
  18. Francophile50

That may be so however some versions that I've only seen in digipacks I've only seen in Jewel cases in two places Australia and Russia.

19. AirJordanFan93

Fair enough

20. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

No NYS sales tax either!
    No NY

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

And most Europe, doesn't use digi packs.

22. Francophile50

Lucky, but some play future they will be forced to tax you

23. Francophile50

Well if there is a CD that I'm looking for that I've only seen in digpak maybe I'll start looking to Europe for a different copy. Thanks for letting me know.

24. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I usually check Musicstack and CDandLP in addition to EBay and Discogs when shopping around the marketplace.

25. Francophile50

Well I just ordered a used Sammy Hagar Red CD from Decluttr. This is an experiment to see how quickly they get it out and in what shape do I receive it for the price I pay. It was the last copy and I paid $7.50 shipped so we'll see.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.