Black Sabbath Paranoid Best Vinyl Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KazJY

KazJY Well-Known Member

I appreciate the bump here, because I've always looked through the bins, almost unsure of what I am looking for, and this thread (and esp your post) was a nice refresher.

Searching for "good" Sabbath on vinyl shouldn't be such an ordeal (makes me crazy getting a bum pressing of any band). I wish some bands would just reissue what people WANT (not from digital masters, etc) and not put out stuff that's just going to rile up the bunch of us.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

It doesn't make any audible difference if you use analogue or very nice digital masters...the magic lies in the mastering and, of course, the vinyl cutting itself.

3. KazJY

KazJY Well-Known Member

Good point! Understood.

sathvyre likes this.
  4. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like both the Kevin Gray Rhino reissue and the UK Vertigo. Different listening experiences. The Rhino is nice and clear and the Vertigo has the bass slam and balls.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

IMO, the key here is not the plant, but the Artisan mastering.
    Depending on stamper those 2nd issues can get very close to the greenies.

Echoes Myron and latheofheaven like this.
  6. Jimbo91

Jimbo91 Forum Resident

I’ve got a WB Paranoid probably late 70s, that’s not good. No treble at all (War Pigs quiet parts). And I’m not that picky.

I’ve got a clear NEMS with just Paranoid, War Pigs, Iron Man and Fairies that absolutely rocks.

Seems prices for a good Paranoid are getting pretty high.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Does anyone own (or has anyone heard) both the Sanctuary 2015 and the Rhino 2016 reissue? And if so, are there any key differences/preferences between the two, and why? Obviously they're cut by different people and pressed by different companies but in terms of SQ/feel, is there a 'winner'? Secondly, is the Sanctuary also cut from Andy Pearce's remaster? Doesn't seem to be any reference to this on the Discogs entry, just says it was cut by JP (who I have had mixed experiences with...).
    Any insight appreciated.

Third (and loosely related) question - has anyone heard any Australian or NZ early Vertigo pressings of Paranoid? There are some I'm looking at and thinking of purchasing, but haven't found much on the forum about Paranoid pressings from down under...

8. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Found an OG Australian Vertigo yesterday in my local in VG+ condition. Bought it.

Initial thoughts: it’s certainly different, as I’ve only ever owned digital and digitally sourced vinyl versions of the album. Not sure I love it more than the digital versions I own... maybe that makes me a heathen?

Is it likely that the Australian Vertigo would be THAT different to the UK? Would it not have been from the same stampers?

It’s also mastered very quietly which is kinda annoying - is that normal for these early Vertigos? I know, I know - “Just turn it up! Quiet mastering means it’s crankable!” Problem is the more you have to turn it up, the more audible the surface noise on these old pressings becomes.

Educate me here - what am I missing? To be clear: I definitely like the pressing; it just hasn’t blown me away like I was hoping.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Tell us the runouts.

If its like this A MX162534 6360 011-1 then it doesnt sound like a UK. Waste of money in my mind if it sounds worse than what you used to listen to, sorry.

The Vertigos I have are pretty standard volume Id say, nothing particularly too quiet.

Just get a WWA or Spaceship label if you want the UK sound cheaply.

latheofheaven and Slick Willie like this.
  10. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

It’s this:
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid

The MX on the runout isn’t prefaced with “A” but even still, have I bought a dud...?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You bought the Australian press, probably not as good as a UK.

latheofheaven likes this.
  12. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

FWIW, that is specifically why I like the 2016 Sean Magee much better. Yes, it is from a digital source, but 1) it is from the UK tapes with NO dropouts, and 2) Not NEARLY as bright, closer to the original UK sound.

Echoes Myron and dkmonroe like this.
  13. latheofheaven

Yep, fully agree... As I mention in the post before this, I really like the Sean Magee (***EDIT 2016) for a newer digital remaster (as dirty as that sounds :D) And, I also recently got a 1st US Greenie of the S/T and I agree that is sounds very good! It beats out the Ron McMaster 2010 S/T which is close (from analog source) but the Greenie is more natural and spacious cranked up.

Echoes Myron and dkmonroe like this.
  14. latheofheaven

Hmmm... interesting... I only have one Italian pressing, the VERY rare but awesome Billy Idol: Cyberpunk, and it is THE only pressing I have out of over 2200 albums that is recorded SO damn low I hafta crank my entire system (tri-amped) all the way up to hear it. Damn strange...

15. latheofheaven

Keep in mind, too, as per many comments here that the Kevin Gray is from a source with the dropouts and is rather bright. Sean Magee's 2016 is darker and closer to the original sound. Many here have commented that they personally find the Kevin Gray too bright. I personally really like the Sean Magee Paranoid better.

dkmonroe and Leonthepro like this.
  16. latheofheaven

I have the Sean Magee Paranoid (blue vinyl) Sounds great. Many here like his (red?) S/T too. I opted for the 2010 McMaster pressing. The MOR (green vinyl) is very good. But AVOID AT ALL COSTS the gold/yellow IV pressing! Sabotage (purple marbled vinyl) I personally prefer over the earlier Kevin Gray. His to me was too harsh and unlistenable. The purple Sean Magee was a little smoother. That's as far as I got... :)

dkmonroe and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. latheofheaven

I disagree with Monty above - I really like the 2016 Sean Magee Paranoid.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. latheofheaven

Now Tim... Don't be too closed minded here... :tsk:

There are indeed better choices, and we ALL obviously prefer analog sources, BUT... there are cases where the result/price ratio can be okay. I just now received a beautiful basically NM WWA Vertigo stampers Paranoid which I will have to take some more time to crank up and compare. But, just off, the Sean Magee is taken from the UK sources and is mastered darker VERY similar to this one I just got (going by off the top memory) So, at least in this one case, the differences aren't SO glaring and horrible considering the price :)

dkmonroe and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. latheofheaven

Yep, just got one. Original Vertigo stampers :D

20. latheofheaven

Heh... No, no, my friend. You are WAY off... :)

21. latheofheaven

Heh... I paid close to $40 for my 1st US Greenie S/T :D

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. latheofheaven

Yep, the Kevin Gray (due to source) is rather bright as mentioned before. The Sean Magee is better at least for the reason that it is mastered darker like the original.

23. latheofheaven

That is good to know mate! I was not aware of that pressing :)

24. latheofheaven

Heh, well not to be too repetitive, but if you haven't seen my many comments already, the 2016 Sean Magee I feel for a digital source BUT UK tapes, the mastering is dark and sounds pretty good. From other threads, although I've not heard them myself, the Sanctuary has divided comments.

25. latheofheaven

Heh... NOT so cheaply... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.