Vinyl Prices on Ebay....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Lynivevoli, Jul 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynivevoli

Lynivevoli No pressure, No diamonds.... Thread Starter

Is it just me or does it seem that the prices for vinyl on EBay have gone up during the pandemic? It may not be across the board, but it seems like the records that are in demand are getting noticeably higher.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's a trend going on in the last 4-6 years. With some nice items dropping in value as well. I'm seeing more recent things (releases from last 10 or 20 years) going into the hundreds of dollars per item. It shows that the value of music artists is sometimes generational with things going in and out of favor with time.

But no, I think overall, prices will continue to fall. I am surprised at how 180g audiophile LPs from not that long ago can fetch hundreds per copy. Nice mastering but $200 to $400 an album? For reissues?

I do think the bottom will fall out of the vinyl market eventually.

Lynivevoli and nosliw like this.
  3. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Another possibility is people over-inflating their prices just to get a "whale" buyer to take the proverbial bait. Sadly, it's par for the course on eBay.

Lynivevoli likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, sit on all your stock while waiting it out for one sucker. When it cost to list even with no sale one saw less of this. Free listings promotes the "hold out and hold them high" mentality.

Lynivevoli and nosliw like this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's been this way for some time now, I believe. But prices do seem to fluctuate.

I'm wondering when the bottom will drop out, honestly. I thought a few years back that by now prices would stop dropping but I haven't seen that (yet). What's also interesting are the prices for vinyl I bought new ten years ago, some of those command insane prices today.

Lynivevoli likes this.
  6. glide

glide Forum Resident

People cannot go shopping at the local record store in most places. It would make sense that ebay, discogs, or any on-line boutique’s sales would be up.

7. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

It's all relative, I think as more and more people re-discover the superior sound quality of vinyl the demand goes up, prices go up, even though some of these have zillions of pressings there's only so many NM copies floating around as they get trashed over time from mishandeling, vinyl from the 90s onward is EXTREMELY limited supply as that's when people in droves abandoned the hassle of vinyl for the convenience of digital/CDs and they stopped pressing vinyl or if they did, it was small runs. I've been buying NM vinyl off discogs mainly at break neck speed to fill up my collection before the end of the world as we know it.

8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I can't believe what some of the Rush remastered vinyl is going for now...I guess some are already out of print. I should have bought a couple copies back in 2015.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Again, the platform has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Some sellers have crazy high prices and others have lower ones.

10. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Some sellers want silly money, I question if they actually wan't to sell the thing or not as it does no one any good sitting there for months, if not years.

However, patience can win out and there are still 'deals' to have.

I'm more frustrated with the terms they use to grade a record..."acceptable", "playable", "not bad for its age", "near mint apart from this 2cm scratch and a skip there and some noise in the quieter parts"...so NOT NEAR MINT THEN!

11. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

“Plays great” drives me up the wall. Everyone has different standards, that could mean literally anything.

Mister President likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.