Cancelled Television Shows - Ongoing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, May 22, 2020.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I think Mom is an exceptional sitcom.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I know it's done well with the Emmys. Allison Janney is an exceptionally talented actress -- I've liked her in everything I've ever seen her in, going back to the 1994 Howard Stern film Private Parts.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't even know this person (let alone the other two), but I'm guessing...focus groups...? ;)

4. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Does What We Do In The Shadows count as a Sitcom? Either way, its's great (though not exactly family friendly)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It’s comedy horror.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, it's a scripted comedy.

Yeah, I'll go with that. Hey, there's precedent for that: The Munsters, The Addams Family, Small Wonder. (The latter is the most horrifying show of the 1980s.)

Shoes1916 likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

8. MikaelaArsenault

9. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. MikaelaArsenault

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Huh. Given the promos and 10 PM timeslot, I would never have guessed it was anywhere near a "family" show. Seems like bad marketing and scheduling screwed this one.

13. MikaelaArsenault

I had a feeling that The Orville wouldn’t last.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Afwul news. Something strange must be going on behind the scenes.
    Why else move for the third season only to be canceled before it's been aired..?

The show got better and better and got lots of fans by the end of the first season.
    The second season was a blast. If the third season is a good or better, I think that someone else is going to pick it up for another season or two.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Dubmart and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Yes I suffered through Space Force a month back, just bafflingly dreadful considering the money on display and a really strong cast.

Absolutely crushed that Kidding isn't coming back :cry:

Groovy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Kidding is a very, very special show.

Groovy, MikaelaArsenault and SteveRes like this.
  18. Dillydipper

There really is no "awful news" here...the showrunners have already stated it was intended to run for just the third season, before it hopped from Fox to Hulu in the first place.
    "Make sure we get our third season", was part of the deal when Fox and Disney signed off on it (Disney owns Hulu).

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, and they couldn't figure out what kind of a show it was. Too scary to be a "family" show, too "warm & fuzzy" to be an alien monster show, and very muddy technology throughout. I was initially very intrigued when Terry O'Quinn (the bald guy from Lost) came in as the main villain, but he was abruptly killed off about 4-5 shows in, which led me to believe that he knew the show was bad and got out of there very quickly. It would've been a better show with him in it, but one actor can only do so much.

OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If so, I Stand corrected.

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I quite liked "High Fidelity" and thought it had positive feedback from viewers and okay ratings, surprised and disappointed it won't have a second season.

23. Dillydipper

I wonder, what are the chances in a business model such as NetFlix, to renounce a cancellation decision. Many networks and netlets choose to turf something after seeing bad numbers in the Nielsen overnights they day after their first few episodes (because they can't risk the assumed revenue loss for that time slot for the rest of the season). Fans often try to combat that with wacko campaigning, such as sending the network decision-makers trinkets mentioned in the shows. Sometimes it works, provided they've already got the show production still running and all the works is paid for anyway; at the very least, they can know if it's worth it to finish the season order and move the show if necessary, or give the showrunner a few more episodes to bring the plot to a satisfying conclusion.

But in the NetFlix world, seasons are not "seasons" anymore...they're series, more the way the BBC and others think of sequential drama. But, they throw 'em all out at one time, fully-formed; subscribers eat a spoonful at one sitting, or drink the whole bowl down in a week, if they choose. Hell, right now we're "binging" on Handmaid's Tale, and I'm trying like crazy to keep my wife from overindulging, so we can stretch this out until "season 4" poots out all at once (also, I'd really like to catch up on everything I'm already watching she won't let me get to...:rolleyes: ). So essentially, there is no "another bowl of ice cream", Junior - you licked the carton clean!

NetFlix and Hulu and Amazon Prime and the others have more input earlier to know when to cut bait. Even disappointed fans can know they have the rest of what's there to enjoy. So,w hat's their incentive to try and change Jeff Bezos' (or anybody elses') mind? And...what are the chances of even trying to do it, now that it's not ad revenue and schedule slots at stake anymore, only market share...?

24. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

It's a shame that "High Fidelity" got the axe. I am working my through it now and I am impressed by the acting and the writing. Hopefully, it will get picked up by another network.

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Too bad about High Fidelity

MikaelaArsenault and George P like this.