New Wave music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Algo_Rhythm, Jul 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Algo_Rhythm

Algo_Rhythm Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a genre that I was never really into much and never really explored much but these days I find myself a bit curious about it. I really enjoy certain albums by the Cars. I also like the Police and other bands from this era. I also had an album by Duran Duran and a Flock of seagulls but that's about it. However, a lot of it at the time seemed to be more poppy or dancey and not really my thing. So what I'm interested in is finding out about albums that are on a bit more of the rock side and less poppy(like those I mentioned). I also really liked Missing Persons for that reason but never owned anything by them. So I'm looking for some recommendations but they don't have to be super heavy just not poppy sounding like the Thompson Twins or something. Also, if there are any post 80's bands that are in this general style or influenced by them that are good you can mention them as well.

Rockford & Roll and Purple like this.
  2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

"New Wave" was not really a genre. It was an umbrella differentiator for anything that wasn't mainstream arena rock.

3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Gene Loves Jezebel
    Siouxie and The Banshees
    The Motels
    Depeche Mode
    Heaven 17
    Talk Talk
    lots to choose from...

4. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Here in the DC area, 4 Out Of 5 Doctors were one of the big local acts. I still listen to their two albums.

5. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

THE PRETENDERS....ROCKPILE/NICK LOWE......

JKCanuck, joy stinson, vinnie and 5 others like this.
  6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I highly recommend Martha and the Muffins. They've got a pretty even amount of catchy songs and more experimental/atmospheric material. This is the Ice Age (the album and song) strikes a good balance between the 2 styles.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is arguably the best 4 out of 5 Doctors song. And you can hear the influence of artists like Joe Jackson quite clearly:

MOE DOLLAZ and black sheriff like this.
  8. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Ultravox
    Hawks
    The Silencers
    Great Buildings
    Blondie
    Joy Division
    Bow Wow Wow
    The Fixx
    Flying Lizards
    The Vapors
    Gary Numan
    Psychedelic Furs
    Split Enz
    XTC

Some bands worth checking out. New Wave had so many off shoots, these are just a start. Dig deeper and you will find many more. An endless genre. One that was a part of my musical foundation.

9. Algo_Rhythm

I respectfully disagree with that. It was as much of a genre as heavy metal, progressive rock, indie rock, hard rock or alternative imo. Even if it is technically true then the same could be said for progressive, alternative and indie music.

10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Elvis Costello (& the Attractions)

My Aim Is True
    This Year’s Model
    Armed Forces
    Get Happy!
    Taking Liberties
    Trust

11. Algo_Rhythm

Any specific albums by these bands that stand out?

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

DEVO
    Pere Ubu
    The Residents
    All three, try during their 'classic-era' period (1976-1981)
    Oh, and the first three WIRE albums!

13. davers

davers Forum Resident

The Fixx sounds like they fit the OP's criteria. The first few albums are outstanding plus there's a remastered hits compilation that provides a good overview.

14. Algo_Rhythm

I have one album by Devo(Q: Are we not men)and two by Pere Ubu(the modern dance and terminal tower(a comp). However, I don't really consider Pere Ubu to be new wave(still good though). The Residents I have heard a lot about and am interested but from what I understand they are more experimental(which ok by me actually). Nonetheless which album do you recommend as a good one to start with by them?Wire I've heard about too.

15. ShockControl

Acts as diverse as the Stray Cats, the Clash, B-52s, the Cars, Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, Squeeze, XTC essentially were all considered "new wave" artists in the US, conversationally if not through direct marketing.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Classic new wave from the land down under. This song didn't make much noise in the US, but should have:

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Speaking of Australia, early INXS does a good job of straddling New Wave with the more generic "Alternative" era that would follow with a song like the great Don't Change:

JKCanuck, joy stinson, Surly and 13 others like this.
  18. Algo_Rhythm

The Stray Cats were never new wave. They were rockabilly.Calling them new wave makes about as much sense as calling Black Sabbath new wave. Stray Cats - Wikipedia

19. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Men At Work
    The Knack

Purple likes this.
  20. ShockControl

They were indeed rockabilly, and they were most certainly considered part of the "new wave." That is why the phrase is useless as a genre descriptor.

21. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

I played this track a bunch while DJing at some cool NYC dance clubs circa 1980-1983. Killing Joke- Change.

Galactus2, tug_of_war, JayB and 4 others like this.
  22. Well, they were part of a greater neo -rockabilly scene that was happening in Japan, the US and Europe. And since they were successful in the UK before the US, they were most definitely promoted as new wave in the US.

23. Check out:

Magazine
    Dexys Midnight Runners
    Talk Talk
    Siousxe and the Banshees
    Echo and The Bunnymen
    Joy Division / New Order
    The Smiths
    The The
    The Jam

24. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Fixx-Reach The Beach
    Blondie-Plastic Letters
    XTC-Skylarking
    The Silencers-Rock And Roll Enforcers
    Gary Numan Tubeway Army-Replicas
    Hawks-Hawks
    The Vapors-Magnets
    Spkit Enz-True Colours

Some to start with.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  25. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think you're wrong. A genre has similarities. Heavy Metal and Progressive bands have similarities. Hard rock could possibly be included as a genre/subgenre. But New Wave, Alternative and Indie categories gather artists together based on things outside of similarities in their style of music. New Wave is what? It was the new wave of Rock. This included all the bands that played at CBGB's in New York. So Ramones, Talking Heads, Television, Blondie, and many others. But what was called New Wave continued into the '80s with synthesizer based bands or even guitar based band that just had a lot of synthesizers. The '80s new wave had little to do with the '70s New Wave other than maybe Blondie after they started using synthesizers. Alternative is that same. What did these bands share in common? Not a lot. Alternative and Indie are the same. They are collectors that don't mean anything. Were REM less Indie when they signed to Warner? What does Jane's Addiction have in common with any other band that is alternative? In a time were it's not hard to self-publish because distribution services like Bandcamp exist, the term Indie is moronic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.