Separates vs. Integrated (RR2160 or Used Parsound HINTO) - Budget Edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fish17, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Now I'm even more intrigued with the .7 and Linton comparisons, maybe this review has been discussed already? Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker Page 2 ... I don't recall if you've looked into the Lintons as a possible alternate to the Maggies ...

2. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As requested,

Amazon Photos

Rick58 likes this.
  3. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

How is the soundstage? Looks like it should be decent.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. Fish17

Very happy with it, such an improvement from my original setup where the speakers were right in the middle of the room pointing away from either listening position.

Plus right behind the main listening spot is my work desk so the speakers are actually pointing towards me.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OMG !!!! Looks great !!! I bet it sounds great too. :edthumbs: :edthumbs: :edthumbs: :edthumbs: :edthumbs:

Fish17 likes this.
  6. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new setup. I have an original Freya on its way to pair with my Parasound amps, and am looking forward to it.

Fish17 likes this.
  7. Fish17

What did u have before the Saga?

8. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I have a Peachtree Nova Preamp. The Saga I just use in passive to control a vintage The Fisher 101b via remote through the tape loop. Been wanting to try a tube pre with SS amps for a while now. I’m hoping the Freya will have the Tung-Sol tubes that it would have originally shipped with and not the JJ’s that they’re using now.

9. Fish17

Oh yeah why’s that? I’m excited to try some tube rolling in the future. I love that I can tweak the color with different tubes.

Apparently the GE 6SN7GTBs are a good match. That’s what Thomas & Stereo’s vintage guy recommended after tube rolling with the Freya original. His review is really positive for the prep amp as well.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I think the Tung-Sol are supposed to sound really good, and may be something I would stick with as a baseline. I read a few so so reviews of the JJ’s. What is your impression?

11. Fish17

I don’t have anything to compare it to so hard to say.

12. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what this preamp can do. I’m hoping it’s all the good things about vintage tube gear without the headaches.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I’ve been listening to the Freya with the JJ’s and I have to say that right now I have no complaints. Nice soundstage, lushness, and strong bass. This preamp may have been the missing puzzle piece in my system.

bever70 and Fish17 like this.
  14. Fish17

What tubes did they ship with?

15. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Came with the JJ’s, which I had my reservations about, but I’ve got to say that I am hearing all of the lushness I get from The Fisher amp with Telefunken and Mullard tubes. I am really pleasantly surprised by these JJs, and the Schiit pre has a much cleaner sound to my ears than the vintage gear I have. Some of that though is certainly do to out of spec components in the vintage stuff, but that is really why I went withe the Freya, tubes with less hassle.

16. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Just scored an A23 for my P5 and matching T3 tuner on the Bay for a fair price! I had narrowed my upgrade path to the A23 or Yamaha A-s801 or A-s1100/1200 if one came up for under $1,600 and then sell the P5/T3. The 801 appealed to me because of the DSD dac, since I have 50+ dsd downloads now. But I can always get the Topping D30 if I get the itch to upgrade. I think I'll be pleased. If it doesn't work out, I know I'll be able to get what I paid. I'll report back.

bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hey cool !!! Donno if it matters to you but wondering about using the balanced L/R outputs ... can that output be used with the high pass function? and a sub used with the sub adjustable output? I hope so. Not that it matters to me now, but I was lusting over this in 2014, wrote some posts on Stereophile web page about it (just found them again). Parasound Halo P 5 2.1-channel D/A preamplifier Measurements

Later I decided to splurge more and got the P 7 ... as a refurb so really good price, no regrets. Now I want to get an A21 ...! :agree: :cool: :winkgrin:

pdxway likes this.
  18. Dr. J.

I hope so! I don't have any balanced cables but will to try at some point. The P5/A23 will be in a full range system for the time being.

Rick58 likes this.
  19. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

That is going to be a pleasure to the ears.

Rick58 and Dr. J. like this.
  20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I use inexpensive Mogami balanced cables from Amazon, sound great to me.

bever70 likes this.
  21. Dr. J.

Thanks! I ordered these right before I saw your message: Canare L-4E6S Star Quad. It's the same cable that Blue Jeans use for their higher balanced offering but with Amphenol connectors instead of Neutrik. For $28 compared to $66 it was a no brainer. They are made by World's Best Cable, which I never heard of, but they seem to use the same quality cables and connectors as higher end stuff but for much less. Check their page out on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Y3F69Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dignan2000 and Rick58 like this.
  22. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I have a set of RCA interconnects from Worlds Best Cable’s made with Mogami 2549 I use for my phono stage. They are fairly well made cables and definitely comparable to BJC.

bever70, Rick58 and Dr. J. like this.
  23. Fish17

Is that the same ones as the Freya+?

24. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Yes, those are what they are sending in the Freya+

25. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I’m sure JJs are nice and will last a long time ... but can’t help recommending new production Gold Lions if they make them in that type. Maybe they don’t though. I tried several varieties of 12AX7 in my McIntosh C220 pre before settling on GLs as overall best sounding and detailed sonics.

Ack, I guess not. 6SN7 Pre Amplifier Vacuum Tubes | Tube Depot probably are the choices ... or most of them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.