Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I see what you mean now. The first 4 episodes were really good crime drama but by the end it’s a soap opera.

2. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

White Lines is better than MH. Not over dramatic like MH. Funnier as well.

Brenald79 likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow. Am rewatching The Shield lately. Just finished season 5.

Probably a good topic for a new thread (Something like "what is your favorite/most impactful/gut wrenching/emotionally supercharged moment in a dramatic series?"). For me that is the last episode of this season, with the climatic scene between Lem and Shane near the end (won't go into details for those who've never seen the show and might someday).

Want to point something out I don't recall noticing b4. During one of the episodes in S5 there is a guest appearance by none other than Dallas Cowboys' head coach Jimmy Johnson!! He is on screen for no more than about 45 seconds. Dutch is down on the floor of the barn trying to talk to Julien and Tina on the dispatcher's radio setup, who are out in the field pursuing a lead in a case he is working on. While he trying is talking to them on the radio an unkempt very dishevelled prisoner in the cage about 10-20 feet away is yelling at him something like "Find Terry! Terry should be in here! Help me man!!", with a kind of texas-southern-drawling accent. The guy just looks like some wino/bum who is crazy or something - hair a mess, big messy beard. Dutch turns to him and tells him to shutup and gets back on the radio. Then the camera cuts to a closeup of the guy's face, and I only then recognized him as Johnson! At that point he has another line and says something like "You gotta find Terry!! He's the one that deserves to be in this hole, not me!!".....

Wonder what the story behind that was? Not like his appearance is major or contributes in any way to the episode at all, just a weird bit of color to add to a chaotic scene. How'd he get involved in that? Next thing I know I'll be seeing Bill Walsh or Andy Reid mixing it up with the strike team...

alexpop and Brenald79 like this.
  4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I had never watched The Shield back in the day, except for a few episodes. My wife and I binged it from the get go a few months ago. Great show. The version on Amazon was in desperate need of restoration but it was still captivating. I don't think they could make that show today.....

5. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Mr. Robot

slipkid, trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Must admit enjoyed Boss ( 2011/1012) a sorta The Wire meets The House Of Cards.. actually preferred it to the House Of Cards.

Jim N. and Brenald79 like this.
  7. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I just started watching Godless again. An excellent Netflix western series from 2017. Highly recommended.

IanL, alexpop and slipkid like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sounds interesting thx. I dig westerns!

Scotian likes this.
  9. alexpop

One season. Looks to be pretty good. Thx!!!

Scotian likes this.
  10. alexpop

Pleased to see Sanaa Lathan ( Alien vs Predator) in Boss.

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

S.W.A.T. is a current show on CBS that is created and directed by Shawn Ryan who also creator of The Shield. I’m highly enjoying right now the 3 seasons and 66 episodes of this edgy crime procedural about a highly trained LAPD S.W.A.T. team. If you like shows like The SYield, Justofied, and Longmire I bet you’d like S.W.A.T as well. It takes place in the same universe as The Shield and Sons Of Anarchy.

bmasters9, alexpop and slipkid like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks. I am definitely a Ryan fan due to The Shield but I tried to watch some other "big show" he came out with after that and hated it (can't remember what it was called). Maybe I will check out SWAT at some point, but it being on a major network like CBS is more of a negative than a positive for me (he could probably not do a lot of things he would be able to do if on a "cable" network like with The Shield).

bmasters9, Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

Another + 1 for Banshee.

Pleased to see one of Banshee cast ;Lili Simmons in Bone Tomahawk.

Also in Bone Tomahawk was LoSt actor Matthew Fox.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Brenald79 and slipkid like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Holy crap this show is OUTSTANDING on so many levels. The storytelling in general, the characters and their rich backstories all taking time to unfold, writing, acting, directing...everything. Thanks for the tip!

Plus nice to see Jeff Daniels in a role he can really sink his teeth into!

Scotian and alexpop like this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Looks interesting, will have to check that out. Always been a Kurt Russell fan and it is rare to see the gorgeous Lili in anything so....

alexpop likes this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think it's the best made for Netflix show I've seen. HBO quality.

slipkid likes this.
  17. alexpop

Definitely a Kurt Russell film and he delivers in it. Director S.Craig Zahler subsequent films haven’t been as good. He wrote the screenplay for Wraiths Of The Broken Land ( another western) directed by Ridley Scott looks to be promising( film in development).

slipkid likes this.
  18. alexpop

Stranger Things still no Region 2 media.
    Apparently dvds media per se doesn’t sell anymore. Well that’s the company line.

19. alexpop

Justified! :righton:
    Yeah passed on it after a couple of episodes, think it was after binge watching Breaking Bad.
    Good news is a couple of years later I re purchased the complete box and thoroughly enjoyed it.:edthumbs:

slipkid likes this.
  20. alexpop

The Knick I like!!!!!

21. alexpop

“Lots” is always appealing. :)

slipkid likes this.
  22. alexpop

That’s two I’ve seen now and rated. Just Damages left.

23. alexpop

Yeah! Got 1-5 seasons of orange is the new black.

24. Zardozm

Zardozm "Zardoz Has spoken"

Inspector lewis
    Inspector Morse
    Vera
    Breaking bad

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I love Justified. Post season 1 it really takes off plotwise, cool story arcs start building and each season has a cohesive core storyline to it (season 1 is more scattershot). Add to that Walton Goggin's scene chewing OOT presence throughout and a satisfying ending right down to Waylon's new hat in the last episode and it's a winner for me.