Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Are you claiming "Hottest Hits" and "Black Is Our Colour" have never been reissued as both were issued more than once on vinyl, as for Niney, those aren't his recordings, surprised he hasn't been pulled up, but the whole streaming thing seems a bit like the wild west to me with people striking false claims, I can't really comment on it though as I've never streamed a track in my life.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Sorry, I am referring back to my original post where I mention things that have "maybe only been on vinyl back in the day and never reissued on CD or digital form properly by a label". These "home made" needle drop versions are it as far a digital. (I'm sure all the track on Hottest Hits are elsewhere though, so maybe a bad example.) I tried to buy Black Is Our Colour when there was last a repressing still around, but just missed the last copy at the only online place I could find it, and that must be ten years ago now. Some of this is stuff that is hard to find even when it is repressed, because it is so obscure, you have to know where to look, and happen to do it at the right time.

The thing is you can have the same album in multiple versions with different copyrights, many of those that say "Observer Music" are also around in other versions, like there are several Junior Delgado albums with Observer on them, but there is then also always a version with a later "Incredible Music" credit (which would seem proper). If they're exactly the same content only one is displayed and the other(s) are in a sub folder of "more releases", but there seems to be no ryme or reason to which becomes the primary one (although in Delgado's case it's always the Incredible version).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I understand now, as you say you could put a CD version of "Hottest Hits" together without issue, I'm trying to remember how clean the Wayne Wade issues are, very surprised PS or someone hasn't done a reissue or even comped all the Yabby You tracks on a double LP, perhaps the tapes are missing/gone, but even so the music deserves a good reissue, not sure how well "Evil Woman" would go down in 2020 though.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Today is International Reggae Day! So which one should I play? :shh:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Lamb's Bread!

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

All of 'em. :edthumbs:

Mr__Hump, Willowman, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

So there was a live stream yesterday on the International Reggae Day site, it's available to watch again. The video is 14 hours long, so one needs to view the schedule and try to figure out where things are. (Most of the first half isn't there, since this actually went on for a full 24 hours, the clip seems to start in the end of part one of the schedule.)

Here is a direct link to the video: International Reggae Day

Here is the main site, with the schedule: https://www.ireggaeday.com

There are live performances and interviews. Starting at 1:52 there's a Dennis Brown concert from Sunsplash "sometime in the 90s" (appropriate choice, as 1 July is the date he passed). At 4:55 there is a performance by Naomi Cowan, Jaz Elize, Sevana and Lila Iké, doing a "Rock & Groove"-riddim marathon. At 6:15 there is another live segment that starts with Richie Spice. Annoying that the first part isn't there, I would have liked to see the perfomance by Hempress Sativa. Maybe this will all pop up on YouTube eventually.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. here is "We Are One" by Andru Branch + Halfway Tree

I put out Andru's debut album with the Wailers "What If I told you" back in 1996 and we;ve been in touch ever since
    I might get flamed for this, but I like his "West Coast" kind of hippy (for lack of a better word, let's say it sounnds more like IJahman's Haile I Hymn than Dillinger's "Death in the arena", know what I mean?) Reggae

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This video for "Lively Up Yourself", that has just been added to the Bob Marley YouTube channel, is one I haven't seen before, and a version I haven't heard:

It is the same basic recording as on the the album, but a different mix (in an earlier stage of overdubbing) and with what seems like a live lead vocal. (Maybe this is something that it is well known and I have just missed it, as I don't really sit around looking up videos for well-worn songs like this.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  10. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Thanks 99thfloor. Bob at his peak for me. Superstar in the making - he had that 'something' special, that's for sure.

11. django68

django68 Forum Resident

I think the first time I saw that Lively Up Yourself film was in the Jeremy Marre Roots Rock Reggae documentry made in 1977. It was also in one of the Marley docs, Caribbean Nights I think.

Kernow Boy and uzn007 like this.
  12. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Yes, bits of that Marley footage has cropped up in various productions in the past. I've still got Caribbean Nights on VHS, I thought it was a very good documentary on Marley and Jamaica/Rastafari.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ok, I figured it must have been somewhere before, I'll dig out that Caribbean Nights documentary, ages since I saw it.

Seems they are in the process of upgrading all sorts of footage (they are also creating new videos for songs, but maybe not as interesting, most are just animations), so keep an eye on that channel for more I suppose.

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

In Caribbean Nights the above "Lively Up Yourself" clip is included, but edited down, a big chunk in the middle of the song is missing. In Beats Of The Heart: Roots Rock Reggae it is even shorter, and most of the time there is other footage shown over it. This is probably why it didn't ring a bell, there are so many places where there are snippets of songs like that. (Although the picture is improved in the clip that is uploaded the sound is very hissy compared to where it has appeared before.) So I wonder if this is the first time the whole thing is seen?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  15. uzn007

16. django68

django68 Forum Resident

17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

uzn007 likes this.
  18. uzn007

Beefers gonna beef.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think it's only Yellowman who can't get along with Beenie, or rather with the fact that he calls himself "King of Dancehall", I think that is the ony problem really, he has been complaining about that for a long time. I don't think Beenie has a problem with Yellowman, if he did he wouldn't have covered the song, surely...?

I don't agree with the comparison with Elvis, Bob and M.J., those are still considered "King" because no one bigger in their field has come along after, not even close, and they are rather unique cases. I'm not sure it works like that in Dancehall, you are only King until someone else comes along and dethrones you, and by that standard Beenie isn't King anymore either, I'd say it's Vybz Kartel.

It's part of Dancehall to have beefs, but beefs should be musical.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    uzn007 likes this.
  20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

New release from Sevana. :love:

"If You Only Knew" is the first song from an upcoming EP called Be Somebody (out 31 July) which will have six new tracks. This video was shot in Senegal (mostly, the part on boat is in JA).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

One of my all-time favorites. Steve Winwood guests on a couple of cuts.

upload_2020-7-8_21-57-5.jpeg

uzn007 likes this.
  22. You're venturing into sensitive territory here!

23. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Various Artists - Blue Coxsone Box Set [PRE-ORDER / Ships by late June]

So this arrived at my gaff the other day, and straight away I play the side I was really after, Trevor Clarke's Giving Up On Love which is a classic greasy,heavy 1968 Studio 1 tune, one I've been after for a while but goes for £600+ these days...

only to discover that it has a bit of paper pressed into the vinyl, so it seems Studio 1 is keeping up their usual standards! :rolleyes:

knb and Jackie P like this.
  24. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

King Tubbys: The Dub Master. The Official Biography by Thibault Ehrengardt

https://www.dreadeditions.com/single-post/2020/06/09/King-Tubby-in-English

I just got my copy and this new book looks absolutely fantastic, really looking forward to digging into it. Got mine via an online Reggae seller here in the UK so I guess various other online Reggae shops have it as well

25. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I want that Roy & Enid tune. Hopefully it'll get a CD release at some point.