Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The Al Fresco series was a 2007 series of discs repackaging for the 60th Anniversary of the Archiv sublabel. The earlier one from the Originals series (1996) has better packaging and more liner notes. With DG it always makes sense to get the earlier release, as those were the ones they put more care into. Actually, this is true for most labels when it comes to reissues of vinyl-era material.

The earliest is actually a third version, from 1989, the one posted by @bruce2 a few posts back, but that will be the most expensive one.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The Fournier set of the Bach Cello suites rubbed me the wrong way at first. I thought it was too extroverted. Because it was a classic, I held onto it and years later I am able enjoy it when I want an extroverted take on these works.

As stated above, the Opus Kura mastering of the Casals set is absolutely superb, beating out even Pearl's transfer. Yes, the sound is historical, but the transfer was done so well that it feels like you are in the room. I can't say that about many recordings that would come much later.

My favorite, though, remains Wispelwey's second set for Channel Classics. It's a lovely, introverted performance in excellent sound. Here's a review: INKPOT#78 CLASSICAL MUSIC REVIEWS: J.S.BACH Cello Suites. Wispelwey (Channel) - The Flying Inkpot Classical Music and Concert Reviews

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Marzz, Wes H, crispi and 1 other person like this.
  3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

New York City ballet cancelled their 2020 summer run at SPAC in Saratoga springs, NY.
    It was already an abbreviated season, something which I believe began last year. They were hoping fewer shows would lead to bigger attendances. I’m not sure how that panned out. But I fear the future of this New York tradition for 2021 and beyond is in danger.

George P likes this.
  4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Rita Strohl: Titus et Berenice; great dramatic sonata for cello & piano (1892).
    Francis Poulenc: Sonata for Cello & piano (1948-9)
    Cesar Franck: Sonata for violin and piano (1886) Arrangement for cello: Jules Delsart (1887)
    Fernand de la Tombelle: Andante expressivo (1900)
    Francis Poulenc: Souvenirs for cello & piano (early 1940's)
    Edgar Moreau, cello
    David Kadouch, piano
    Erato, 2017
    2 CDs
    [​IMG]

Excellent playing. It was interesting to hear the 1892 piece by Rita Strohl. Souvenirs, a small piece by Poulenc, is a first recording.

5. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Fortune’s always hiding ⚒

Afternoon all. Apologies for asking. Looking for recommendations please. I just finished listening to a playlist of excerpts by Georg Philipp Telemann. Have to say that I found it so melodic. Enjoyed every piece. So can anyone recommend a good starting point re whole albums/works please? Very interested in discovering more of his work. Many thanks

6. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I don't know much Telemann, but I liked this video, might be a good place to start:

crispi, Ian Roberts and George P like this.
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have and enjoy this set on bluray

Ian Roberts likes this.
  8. Ian Roberts

Extremely helpful. Many thanks for sharing

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas 1-3
    James Ehnes
    Andrew Armstrong
    Onyx, 2019
    [​IMG]
    A first listen did not appeal to me.

George P likes this.
  10. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

May I suggest a few Telemann boxes I own and enjoy:

A 10 CD collection with Goebel's Musica Antiqua Köln. I especially like their version of the Tafelmusik.
    Another 10 CD DHM Telemann Edition.
    Finally a larger €50 CD Brilliant Edition.

All links are to Amazon.uk (since you live in Wales), but there are better prices at Amazon.de.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ian Roberts

Hi Ake. Thank you for the great recommendations. I’ve ordered that first set from Amazon today. Looking forward to it arriving

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's a great choice. I'd call your attention especially to the "water music" (not to be confused with Handel's much more "top 40 classical" collection of the same name), also known as "Hamburg Ebb and Flow" or "Hamburg's Tides," one of my favorite works by Telemann. MAK gives it a thoroughbred performance.

Another composer you may enjoy exploring is Dietrich Buxtehude. He was of the generation before J.S. Bach, and in fact it was he whom a youthful Bach walked some 250 miles to meet and hear. Buxtehude's organ music is probably what's known best today, but don't neglect his vocal and chamber/instrumental music, either. It's all great stuff by a master who was happy to bend rules when he wanted to.

13. Ian Roberts

Thanks so much for the reply and information. Is this the Telemann work you refer to please?
    I’ll definitely be checking out Buxtehude
    [​IMG]

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's the one. Do enjoy!

15. Ian Roberts

Thanks again. Will stream it to start with. Will let you know my feelings

16. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

It looks like that MAK/Goebel Wassermusik is in the box you said you got on the previous page?

Ian Roberts likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

For single albums and not big box sets, I own the following disc of Telemann Violin Concertos and highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

18. Ian Roberts

That’s a bonus then. I didn’t realise. Just checked and it’s on CD5.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  19. Ian Roberts

Thanks Bruce. Taking a look

bruce2 likes this.
  20. layman

layman Forum Resident

Have you seen this resource?
    Shaded Dog

21. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Thanks so much. Do you know offhand if there is a difference between Living Stereo and Red Seal?

22. layman

layman Forum Resident

I think they may have been one and the same. I know Living Stereo came first and over time they started calling (the releases) RCA Red Seal.

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

"Red Seal" has been the name of Victor classical issues ever since the Victor Talking Machine Co. coined the term early 20th century; it refers to the red labels of the company's celebrity issues, in those days mostly opera arias, in contrast to the black ones (later also purple and blue) given to popular records and classical issues the company deemed less exalted. When RCA bought Victor, it continued the practice and the terminology.

"Living Stereo" was the name RCA applied to its early stereo releases, both classical and popular. In other words, all Red Seal stereo records of the period were "Living Stereo," but not all "Living Stereo" records were Red Seals.

McLover, Wes H and crispi like this.
  24. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Thanks so much for the clarification :righton:

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

This info was posted on the Dutton thread:

[​IMG]
    Dutton Epoch Historic
    SACD Surround Sound Releases
    July 2020

ALL IN STOCK & AVAILABLE TO ORDER

A voyage through the Columbia and RCA vaults has yielded a further selection of archival gems, which we present in a new batch of SACD reissues featuring the original stereo and quadraphonic mixes.

Among the delights on offer are Erich Wolfgang Korngold’s sprawling Gothic opera Die tote Stadt, in its benchmark 1975 recording by Erich Leinsdorf and the Munich Radio Orchestra; Pierre Boulez’s vigorous reading of Bartók’s characteristically enigmatic The Wooden Prince; and Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra in what is perhaps the definitive version of Strauss’s epic tone poem, Also sprach Zarathustra.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Åke Bergvall likes this.