The Sam Cooke Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

'By Hook or by Crook', you gotta get this.
    Worth every buck.

Jarleboy and CBackley like this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I know! But from where?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

I got mine from Amazon...., but it's even unavailable there too.
    Not even a copy on eBay.
    :mad:
    A darn shame for everybody.....

CBackley likes this.
  4. CBackley

I know! Some other countries’ Amazon stores have it, but they won’t ship to the US. Grrrrregggggjjj!

5. Rick Bartlett

I couldn't get mine in Australia, I had to use Amazon US.
    Can't believe there's not one floating around.....
    I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know.

CBackley likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This is what pushes the unofficial torrent download sites.

I suspect the RCA box will soon be rare too.

7. CBackley

Was this set ever available to download (HDTracks or iTunes)? I’d love to get the CD box set. But if that’s impossible I’d still like to get the files. This is crazy.

8. granola

granola Forum Resident

As yet to be announced by ABKCO, a CD reissue of "Ain't That Good News" (by Sam Cooke) is showing on several retail sites.

UPC for the pending CD is 018771877523.

Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News (CD)

Sam Cooke Ain't That Good News on DeepDiscount

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Is the Keen set OOP? That can't be right. It was released six months ago.

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

CBackley likes this.
  11. CBackley

Out of luck. They don’t ship to the US.

Q | Which countries do you deliver to?
    We deliver within the UK, as well as to all EU countries. These include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I should have checked before posting. Sorry.

CBackley likes this.
  13. CBackley

No worries!

14. djej

djej Forum Resident

What day did you order? I also ordered from the UDiscover store on June 30, and I got an e-mail on July 2 saying the order had been dispatched as well as that US delivery times were 10-14 working days. Hopefully that sticks!

Sorry about your luck. Before I ordered, I was looking around and several sites and noticed that it was unavailable except the UDiscover Store. Decided right then I better get it before I regretted it and it went OOP.

CBackley likes this.
  15. CBackley

I ordered mine on June 30 too. You got the last one! :realmad::laugh:

16. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

I was lucky to get it on Discogs a couple of months ago for a good price. Unsealed but mint condition. This release may unfortunately quickly fall into the second hand market. Don’t get ripped off by price scalpers, it’ll turn up.

17. CBackley

Folks, I got a copy of The Complete Keen Years. Amazon Canada had two copies left. I had one shipped to my awesome brother-in-law in Alberta, who then shipped it to me in the US. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm pumped.

longdist01 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Great to see a happy fan of Sam

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Used market CDs from the past 3 to 4 years are very rare relative to all other periods. They just didn't sell very many copies as in the years before streaming took over. They will be far scarcer than all earlier issues, even first editions of early LPs. I have found this for many artists. Once out of print (and that happens fast), copies of many artists' recent discs are the rarest of all.

20. djej

djej Forum Resident

Nice, glad to hear you scored a copy. I’m still waiting for my UDiscover order in the mail. Hopefully soon.

CBackley likes this.
  21. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

I find this interesting, thanks. Because this release is yet another remaster (even if it's definitive), I don't think it had much value on streaming services. Many platforms now have duplicate Keen albums with this new and old master.

22. 100% concur. Almost any new CD release produced in the past five years were manufactured in such light quantities that the used market for them almost ends up being more expensive than buying a new copy while retailers still have some inventory.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

and when out of print, very expensive

24. Rick Bartlett

Even on streaming platforms, and companies especially like ABKCO, they can remove them as quickly
    as they are made available at any time without warning.
    I'm seeing that happen with Movies/Documentaries also on places like Stan/Netflix/Prime.
    Another reason why having a physical copy is the safest bet.
    Physical copies of anything are becoming more less, which is becoming more common,
    leaving the consumer with practically nothing to own with streaming services.
    The direction is you pay for temporary use of material, to be removed at any time they see fit.
    I see the game they're playing.
    Records/Discs/DVD's anytime for this fella.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Does anyone own either of the vinyl re-issues of Night Beat by ABCKO from 1995 or Music On Vinyl from 2010? I was thinking about buying one of these and would appreciate hearing anyone's opinions on either.