Albums that exist in the same realm as Sinatra's 'saloon songs' or 'noir' albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gormenghast, Jul 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Willie Nelson wrote the title track, of course. In 1958. Sold it for $150. Price had the hit with it in 1960.

londonflash, petercl and Gormenghast like this.
  2. Some of us have a much wider definition of "psychedelic" than the crabbed stereotype of fuzzed out guitars and lyrical free association.

Much, much wider.

Not that "Pictures of Matchstick Men" isn't a great tune. But was far as that goes, we are agreed that the lead sheet does not belong in the same recording studio with Frank Sinatra.

I would have liked to hear Frank cover the Jefferson Airplane's "Comin' Back To Me", though. With a Nelson Riddle arrangement.

The summer had inhaled and held its breath too long
    The winter looked the same as if it never had gone
    And through an open window where no curtain hung
    I saw you
    I saw you
    Comin' back to me

One begins to read between the pages of a book
    The shape of sleepy music, and suddenly you're hooked
    Through the rain upon the trees, the kisses on the run
    I saw you
    I saw you...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Ken K, DEAN OF ROCK, Folknik and 6 others like this.
  3. Pirates, Rickie Lee Jones.

Most anything by Billie Holiday, as Frank would be the first to tell you.

A little more of a stretch, but worth it- Famous Blue Raincoat, Jennifer Warnes singing Leonard Cohen (who pitches in on one or two of the songs)

Folknik, bluemooze and tug_of_war like this.
  4. Gormenghast

Gormenghast Forum Resident Thread Starter

Definitely an interesting proposition, although I was never able to completely connect with Sinatra attempting 60s rock songs. The Beatles ‘Yesterday’, Simon & Garfunkel ‘Mrs. Robinson’ - although I think his version of ‘Something’ on the ‘Trinity’ album is fantastic.
    It’s just hard to shake the feeling while listening that ‘he’s too good for this’
    I’m a fan of 60s rock and psychedelia - 13th Floor Elevators’, The Pretty Things etc ...it’s just such a different realm in terms of quality and approach. When John Lennon said ‘before Elvis there was nothing’ I thought he must be joking.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  5. Gormenghast

Definitely agree with the Billie Holiday assertion, even her last few 50s albums are great to me because she brought such character to the songs.

Tord and Panama Hotel like this.
  6. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Bryan Ferry
    Bride Stripped Bare
    Boys and Girls
    Bête Noire

Tom Waits
    entire discography

Saintbert likes this.
  7. I never thought that Frank connected on any of the folk/rock-related songs he attempted in the 1960s. They were all a poor fit. Including "Something", sadly. The best of the lot, but it doesn't quite make it.

Yet and still- if only Sinatra had been handed "Comin' Back To Me" to cover. Preferably without anyone telling Frank who had written it.

Speaking as a Deadhead, the Garcia/Hunter tune "Stella Blue" is often mentioned among us in discussions as a ballad that Frank might have handled well. But I think Tony Bennett would do a better job with that one. And no one beats Garcia's best live renditions.

Sinatra could have knocked John Martyn's "Certain Surprise" out of the park. He'd do a good job on JM's "Make No Mistake", too, although I think that one would be best covered by Sammy Davis. To return the discussion to the vicinity of songs and artists with that romantic saloon/noir flavor in their wheelhouse.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  8. Gormenghast

It’s a great song - and I have to admit I’d be intrigued to hear him do it. It could have easily replaced a track on the Cycles album. I can hear it done with lush strings but also in the Jobim style.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  9. yes. either arrangement would work.

"Comin' Back To Me" is a brilliant, Great American Songbook-quality classic, and still out there for someone to interpret. Rickie Lee Jones had a try, on her record Pop Pop. Although I think it's one of her least successful covers, and I say that as a massive fan.
    (You shoulda married me, RLJ. Is it too late? PM me)

< "some things just last longer than you thought they would"

Gormenghast likes this.
  10. Frank Sinatra would not disagree, you may rest assured of that.

Gormenghast likes this.
  11. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

French Noir : Serge Gainsbourg - Confidentiel :

Gormenghast likes this.
  12. unfunkterrible

Joni Mitchell : Both Sides Now .

Gio Mio, tug_of_war and Gormenghast like this.
  13. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

I'm glad you found a copy. I just have the original vinyl for pennies from a thrift store. I didn't know what to expect and really loved it. I especially like what she says about singing and her approach to the songs in the liner notes:

She writes, "If you're looking for a name for the way I sing, I suppose it would be 'song interpreter.' It's something like acting--putting part of yourself into a song. The test of a good song in my mind is whether or not it's emotionally truthful, and I never sing about something unless I've experienced it personally. You can't project truth unless you know it ... As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really a vocal singer. I'm a singer of words. Lyrics. Sort of a purveyor of stories with music."

That's exactly what I want to hear, although truth is sometimes devastating.

Gormenghast likes this.
  14. Gormenghast

I like this album although I think she went too far with the concept on her ‘Travelogue’ album. The title track really worked in this setting.

15. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

There's a couple more "up tempo" songs, but she's always quite understated in her pacing, singing and playing when she is also at the piano. Even a more up tempo love song from her may be lanquid and seem hopeful at best. As she sings you may feel like it's not going to work out but she wishes for it anyway.

Her take on Johnny Mercer's Too Marvelous For Words for example conveys great love but also to me its extreme fragility. It seems very different than say Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald's versions of the same song.

Tord likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have a whole tape of 'noir' songs. My wife says it's very depressing.
    Lots of good soundtrack stuff, like Taxi Driver, Farewell My Lovely, and Chinatown
    Some songs: Laura Nyro--Billy's Blues, Motels--Change My Mind, Paul Kelly--Lately, Tom Waits--Alice and Old Boyfriends

tug_of_war and Gormenghast like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Julie's version of A Taste of Honey is very torchy, cause she sings the sad verse which turns the whole song around from what most people know

18. Gormenghast

Well, I just ordered a nice looking Japanese cd edition from eBay - looking forward to listening to the whole thing.

Eric Carlson likes this.
  19. unfunkterrible

Though I have tried I´m not much of a Joni Mitchell fan actually , I guess it was the tracklisting that made me listen to this record some years ago , because I love standards . She´s allright but what I find truly special about the record is the work of the arranger , Vince Mendoza .

20. Gormenghast

I saw Joni on the tour she did for this album - it was pretty good from what I remember - in my opinion though she should’ve stayed on a low key, minimal ‘saloon’ type setup for this project- I love her but she definitely does not ‘swing’ - her smoky lower register voice works well though with some of the standards. Dylan’s ‘Triplicate’, ‘Fallen Angels’ and ‘Shadows in the Night’ are perfectly executed and wonderfully arranged to me. (Just inserted that comparison given that Bob and Joni are contemporaries)

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

22. Eyesteel

Eyesteel Forum Resident

This is a really nice late 50s album that has that melancholy/noirish vibe. Lovely cover shot too that conveys it well.

Tord and Gormenghast like this.
  23. Gormenghast

I love those first four albums especially. I wish he would’ve done some standards here and there though he had the voice for it. Ever since ‘Tilt’ I was hoping that he’d return to his 60s style brand of baroque pop but things just got weirder and more avante garde and I like those albums too - but with a voice like that...

24. Gormenghast

That sounds great - it really fits this category. I’ll track down a copy although it looks like the prices are pretty high.

25. Gormenghast

I remember when Willie Nelson did ‘Stella Blue’ on his ‘Songbird’ album.