Radiohead album by album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi :wave:

I noticed that there's no dedicated thread to Radiohead discography :eek: Yes, there're separate polls, "best sounding version" threads, etc but no a comprehensive thread with all the albums, EPs, singles and more

So your participation and help is needed!

:righton:

NME:
    In 1986, Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, Colin Greenwood, Phil Selway and Ed O’Brien formed a band called On A Friday after meeting at Oxfordshire’s Abingdon School. They played their first gig in Oxford’s Jericho Tavern.

In 1991, the band signed to EMI Records and changed their name to
    Radiohead.

Britannica.com
    Radiohead, British rock group that was arguably the most accomplished art-rock band of the early 21st century. This revered quintet made some of the most majestic—if most angst-saturated—music of the postmodern era. Formed in the mid-1980s at Abingdon School in Oxfordshire, Radiohead comprised singer-guitarist Thom Yorke (b. October 7, 1968, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, England), bassist Colin Greenwood (b. June 26, 1969, Oxford, Oxfordshire), guitarist Ed O’Brien (b. April 15, 1968, Oxford), drummer Phil Selway (b. May 23, 1967, Hemingford Grey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire), and guitarist-keyboardist Jonny Greenwood (b. November 5, 1971, Oxford).

Fandom:
    Radiohead are an English rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire, formed in 1985. The band consists of Thom Yorke (lead vocals, guitar, piano, keyboards), Jonny Greenwood (lead guitar, keyboards, other instruments), Ed O'Brien (guitar, backing vocals), Colin Greenwood (bass), and Phil Selway (drums, percussion, backing vocals). They have worked with producer Nigel Godrich and cover artist Stanley Donwood since 1994

The members of Radiohead met while attending Abingdon School, an independent school for boys in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Guitarist and singer Thom Yorke and bassist Colin Greenwood were in the same year, guitarist Ed O'Brien and drummer Phil Selway in the year above, and multi-instrumentalist Jonny Greenwood two years below. In 1985, they formed On a Friday, the name referring to the band's usual rehearsal day in the school's music room. Jonny Greenwood was the last to join, first on harmonica and then keyboards, but soon became the lead guitarist; he had previously been in another band, Illiterate Hands, with musician Nigel Powell and Yorke's brother Andy Yorke. At one point, On a Friday featured a saxophone section. Oxfordshire and the Thames Valley had an active independent music scene in the late 1980s, but it centred on shoegazing bands such as Ride and Slowdive.

Although all but Jonny had left Abingdon by 1987 to attend university, On a Friday continued to rehearse on weekends and holidays. At the University of Exeter, Yorke played with the band Headless Chickens, performing songs including future Radiohead material. In 1991, On a Friday regrouped, sharing a house on the corner of Magdalen Road and Ridgefield Road, Oxford. They recorded demos such as Manic Hedgehog, and performed in Oxford, including more performances at the Jericho Tavern. As On a Friday continued to perform live, record labels and producers became interested. Chris Hufford, Slowdive's producer and the co-owner of Oxford's Courtyard Studios, attended an early On a Friday concert at the Jericho Tavern. Impressed, he and his partner Bryce Edge produced a demo tape and became On a Friday's managers; they remain Radiohead's managers today. In late 1991, after a chance meeting between Colin Greenwood and EMI A&R representative Keith Wozencroft at Our Price, the record shop where Colin Greenwood worked, the band signed a six-album recording contract with EMI. At the request of EMI, the band changed their name; "Radiohead" was taken from the song "Radio Head" on the Talking Heads album True Stories (1986).

[​IMG]

2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’ll be closely watching this thread! Love discussing this band.

tug_of_war, Chrome_Head and ponkine like this.
  3. ponkine

Radiohead's first known recording dates back to 1986, when they formed as a band (they weren't Radiohead then)

The demo tape is known as 'On A Friday'. You can hear The Smiths influence. Thom Yorke was just 17

1. Fragile Friend
    2. Girl (In The Purple Dress)
    3. Everybody Knows
    4. Mountains (On The Move)
    5. Fat Girl
    6. Lemming Trail
    7. Lock The Door
    8. Fragile Friend (Remix)
    9. Lemming Trail (Remix)
    10. Lock The Door (version)
    11. In The Breeze

4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The really early stuff doesn’t do much for me, but it’s definitely interesting to hear the seeds of what they turned into. I’m always impressed by the fact that they’ve retained the same lineup since way back then!

5. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

My favourite band of all time, I will definitely be contributing!:righton:

6. Assassin Yassassin

Assassin Yassassin Forum Resident

I'll be watching this. Only coming to appreciate them very recently and have only a few albums.

7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm also in for this thread--I don't know the On A Friday stuff that well, and Pablo Honey is only a fair to middling album overall--but just about everything after that is fascinating listening.

Choba b CCCP and tug_of_war like this.
  8. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I believe there was a recently unearthed video of a Thom Yorke group playing High and Dry from the 80s/early 90s on YouTube somewhere. I’ll have to try and find it.

*I will add I am a new father to a 3-week-old boy so I may be delusional from lack of sleep and have made this all up.

timind, croquetlawns, Tuco and 5 others like this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

(watch thread)

Count me in. :wave:

ponkine likes this.
  10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Right here:

I don’t know much about Headless Chickens though

11. ponkine

It reminds me Stones Roses 'Waterfall'

pexie and tug_of_war like this.
  12. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s pretty wild that Radiohead started with their Smiths-influenced sound while the Smiths were still a functioning band. I always forget that. They feel like they’re from such different eras

Shaddam IV, ARK, jalexander and 2 others like this.
  13. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Fragile Friend vox sounds a little Bono-ish (that’s not a bad thing).

I thought Radiohead’s story was ‘we could barely play our instruments when we started’ -clearly not.

It’s fun to hear Thom so ‘serious’ (committed) in his delivery.

Fascinating baseline for what would come.

‘Everybody Knows’ any idea who’s playing guitar on the intro. Elements of RH: the background vox, the left-turn chord change between verse and chorus. (Hilarious to hear the strummed harmonics and ‘Kenny G’ embellishments on this - I wonder if it nauseates them or if they have good thoughts about it?) Good recording on this demo. Very flange-y!

tug_of_war and ghoulsurgery like this.
  14. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I always think of Radiohead's early songs including up to Pablo Honey are very much a product of their influences, there's a huge amount of Pixies,R.E.M. and The Smiths in the sound.

15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Radiohead brings together the sounds of all my favorite bands (REM, Joy Division/New Order, Pixies). And then they keep expanding on that! It’s probably why I have such a soft spot for them

16. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

I’ve been needing a good thread-count me in!

ponkine likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I don't know the history of the band, but I have, and enjoy the box set.
    I will certainly be participating given the time.

18. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

Yes absolutely best active band on the planet right now. Not close.

19. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Wow! Amazing to hear an original by a perfectly decent local battle of the bands type artist that would eventually turn into a worthy global hit. There’s so much hear that carries into the Radiohead version, including the chorus harmonies and the guitar solo (played by Thom!). But there’s also so much wrong with this version that differentiates it from a proper hit

Radiohead are one of my faves, but I just survived the U2 ABA and am now in the Wilco SBS!

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  20. ponkine

In 1988 they recorded another demo, called 'Woodworm'
    The 3 songs are:

- Happy Song
    - To Be A Brilliant Light
    - Sinking Ship

Freek999 and dadonred like this.
  21. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

On a side note this is by far is the best Radiohead fansite,the amount of depth on there is pretty outstanding.
    Citizen Insane

22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I love the box-set and I have the import 2c.d./1d.v.d. clamshell reissues of the e.m.i. albums....i need to purchase everything after those...i am totally out of the loop on those albums.

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Congrats on the babe! The Headless Chickens version is great but I've always wanted to hear Thom's later demo for Radiohead which was recorded against the background of a loop sampled from a Soul II Soul record

autumn daze and ghoulsurgery like this.
  24. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Somewhere there are ex-saxophonists at cocktail parties saying, Yeah, I used to be in Radiohead...

gregorya and ponkine like this.
  25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Radiohead, in Nigel Powel's room, while Johnny was in a band with Thom's younger brother

And damn I want those IQ posters

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.