VG+ Vinyl with Deep, Audible Scratches?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by warpedwing, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpedwing

warpedwing Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am somewhat new to buying vinyl online. I've had pretty good luck so far, but I just received a copy of On the Beach by Neil Young that was graded as VG+ both on the disc and the sleeve. Note said "solid copy. Handwritten name on cover and inner sleeve." I'm not that bothered by that as I am more interested in a good playing copy.

I receive the disc and I notice that the corner is cut and there's also a name written on the record label itself. OK, fine. I'm not even upset by this, so long as it sounds good. I give it a play, and I notice 2 or 3 deep, audible scratches on both sides of the record. This I'm not happy about. Photos attached. Forgive the dust, I hadn't cleaned it yet, and now I probably won't bother.

So, am I right in saying that this copy is not a VG+? Should I send it back? I've not had to do this before so any advice would be warmly welcomed. Thank you.

Imgur

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Grading is always tricky but as a seller myself, if that plays like it looks then that's a VG to me - maybe even G+. But more importantly it should have been mentioned in the listing as audible.

VG+, for me, is a playable copy. Looks used with some surface noise but nothing overpowering. Once it overpowers the music that falls into VG/G+ territory.

3. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

By forum standards, which are pretty universal, the condition of the record is Good as there are “scratches that produce noise.” A VG+ record is an “excellent condition record that plays well.”

Take no hesitation is returning and getting a refund for the record. It is an unfortunate, but necessary, part of buying records online.

chazz101s and black sheriff like this.
  4. warpedwing

My Home Townes likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah just politely state the LP does not meet your satisfaction on the condition and leave out exactly why. I take it the writing on the cover was mentioned but the writing on the label not?

VG+ is the highest rick grade there is. I try and avoid it and if I am going to rick it I need a lot of pictures and see other records from the same seller, and of course, feedback is a big deal. On The Beach is not rare enough to not demand a NM or NM- condition for $25 or so. A true VG+ $16 tops.

I am curious what this LP cost?

warpedwing likes this.
  6. warpedwing

Yes, it said writing on cover, but didn't mention writing on inner sleeve or label, and it didn't mention any scratches.

What does "rick" mean? I'm not familiar with that term.

This record was $25.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Typo, "risk" it. It's a very abused grade, and so it is a high risk I meant.

Yes, for $25 you should not have bothered with a copy that has writing on the cover. Cut or saw mark on the jacket is ok if LP is NM- or around. Or VG++ stated as very close to NM.

Good lesson learned, now you know VG+ can be pretty trashed by some sellers.

8. warpedwing

Ah, gotcha. Yes, I guess it's used as a catch-all grade. I've had good luck so far, but perhaps I'll be more careful next time. At least the seller was amenable to the return without argument.

9. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

I think your VG+ description is a bit off. VG+ shouldn’t really have any surface noise. That’s for a VG record and lower:

How To Grade Items

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Vinyl is going to have surface noise - depends if it's in near silent / very light or distracting.

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

VG+ is [to me] occasional surface noise that is not overpowering. If that long scratch in the OP's pic can be felt then it shouldn't even be sold unless it's really rare.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Captain Paul

I think it also depends on the type of surface noise. If it’s in the form of a scratch and can be clearly heard even during normal sounding passages then it isn’t VG+.

13. Captain Paul

Also, VG+ is generally supposed to be very close to NM with only few minor flaws that keep it from being so.

greelywinger likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Agreed on that and that goes back to the OP's comments. A big scratch that does a pop every rotation is going to be distracting.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Going by the photos, that record is nowhere VG+ and if that long scratch clicks every time it goes round the record is pretty much ruined.

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

This is why when I'm considering buying from a Discogs seller for the first time, I ask questions on an album they have for sale.
    Usually VG+ records come 2 different ways...
    The seller who overgrades...Says VG+ (but is actually VG/VG-)
    The seller who undergrades...Says VG+ (but is closer to NM)
    Luckily I've have a few Discogs sellers that fall into the later category.

Darryl

panicbeach likes this.
  17. Captain Paul

The good sellers fall into the latter category and the bad sellers fall into the former. I always check the feedback and many would give a neutral rating saying it was rated higher than it should be. Those sellers I avoid.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Luckily my local shop falls into the latter category.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.