McCartney download cards - issues

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by galone_es, Jul 13, 2020.

1. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you had a problem with a download card (from McCartney Archive Series),
    to what electronic address did you report the problem ?

coffeetime and janmaccazwan like this.
  2. janmaccazwan

janmaccazwan Forum Resident

Yes i have problems too!

3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Still trying to find a means of registering the ‘site temporarily down’ message when trying to redeem my Wild Life SDE download code. I’ve also got a sealed Ram box arriving either today or tomorrow; I bought the 16/44.1 unlimited ALAC files from Paul’s site/Topspin back in 2012 but it would be good to redeem the card for 24/96 versions for my DAP.

The downloads are instrumental in my considering buying further sets. I’ve got the Flaming Pie deluxe on order, and figuring I’d be in for the 24/96 files from Qobuz if I wasn’t getting the box, I’ve mentally discounted the cost of the hi-res purchase from the box set (handily brining it in under the £200 mark!)

I very much want the RRS & FITD boxes, but if the cards are unlikely to work (and it seems that they won’t based on my Wild Life redemption issues), then I’m more likely to settle for the hi-res purchase/downloads now and try and pick the boxes up second hand further down the line.

4. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

I emailed Universal Music Customer Care at the beginning of the year since I had opened the deluxe edition of Venus and Mars and wanted the high-resolution tracks, and they asked for order number and since I did not purchase from the online store, directed me to contact the point of purchase (Amazon) for assistance. I did not follow through from there. Maybe you who are having problems can try that but I don't think Amazon has anything to do with the contents of the package so I think that is a dead end. I had wondered if the codes expire because I took almost five years to break the seal on the Venus and Mars set and could not get to the redeem page. Good luck and don't wait long on opening these deluxe editions is what I have learned from this.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. Paulismyname

I could not get past the redeem page I should say. I tried it again on a whim, and same thing.

6. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Refering back to the store you bought these sets from is indeed nonsense.
    Amazon is not responsible for the contents, only for sending you the right items without damage.

There must be a party like Topspin years ago, who host these files and that is responsible for contact.
    I once had a problem with downloading the files,
    after trying again I got a message saying maximum downloads exceeded.
    After e-mailing Topspin (I think it was Topspin back then) they had reset my download code, and I was able to download the files without problems.

Now there doesn't seem to be any party you can contact.

I have got some download cards for "Red Rose Speedway".
    One for the LP set and one for the Deluxe.
    But it seems that either they are still working on the site,
    or that it just isn't possible anymore to use the download codes for older archive sets.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Paulismyname likes this.
  7. Paulismyname

That is a bummer, and if there is one we should not have to be like detectives finding that information. It should be easily accessible.

arnt likes this.
  8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

9. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

The same with Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway which I bought new and sealed recently. :shake:
    I didn't find a way to address this.

janmaccazwan likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Had a brief exchange with Dropcards who asked me to supply a photo/picture of the download card and code. Finished up with the following reply:

Whilst not the outcome I wanted, they were any least responsive and tried to help. From the WL/RRS thread, contacting the label means being referred on to the seller (Amazon) who are hardly in a position to deal with downloadable content.

11. galone_es

In fact, as far as I know, there is no way to write any message to the Paul McCartney web site, not even by Facebook.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Basically, everyone is passing the buck so no real way to get what you paid for. Astounding.

janmaccazwan and coffeetime like this.
  13. Paulismyname

I realize these cards are not the main draw here when we purchase a deluxe or super deluxe edition, but it doesn't seem right that you can't access what is promised you right on the sticker. Baffling.

14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

It is frustrating. Perhaps slightly understandable for the much older sets where either the company the downloadable content provision has been subcontracted to has gone out of business, or the contract period has elapsed. Not so much for the newer sets such as Wild Life which are less than a couple of years old. Whilst the bulk of sales of the deluxe sets are going to be on day 1 and the following weeks, it can be reasonably expected that sets are going to be bought as gifts etc in the months and years that follow.

I’m not sure at this point why the contracts for downloadable content provisioning haven’t gone to HD TRacks, Qobuz etc. They’re unlikely to fold overnight and have the infrastructure for delivery already in place.

At this point I’m hoping that the currently inactive ‘Redeem’ button at www.paulmccartney.com/redeem page will become active once more when the Flaming Pie set is released. Knowing our lunch, the FP set will use a different URL...

janmaccazwan and Paulismyname like this.
  15. Paulismyname

Those are a lot of great points.
    I could live with knowing if the older sets have expired. That would deter me from keeping them sealed in the future. As for the more recent ones like you mentioned, those should still be valid. But the likelihood of these being gifts well after release is something that should be acknowledged and they could just put an expiration date on the card if it is not going to work after a certain date. I got the John Lennon Gimme Some Truth box four or so years after release and the card that allowed access to the John Lennon Universe website had expired but it said so right on the card. That is probably not comparable to high resolution audio though.

coffeetime likes this.
  16. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

For the older sets and for the problem downloads, it could just be rolled into PaulMcCartney.com, as I believe they have an existing staff. This isn’t like having to send out all copies of physical material, it’s literally sending out files in zip form.

17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The impression I’ve got is that the facility and responsibility for fulfilling hi-res downloads from the Archive sets have been sub-contracted to different companies throughout the years and for different sets. Dropcards who I got in contact with about the Ram deluxe hi-res downloads looked to do the MP3 downloads for Ram vinyl at www.paulmccartney.com/redeem/ram but not the hi-res downloads for Ram deluxe at www.paulmccartney.com/redeem.

The redeem button at www.paulmccartney.com/redeem still isn’t live again ahead of the FP archive set. Will keep checking as if FP deluxe uses the same URL, then the button must go live again at some point between now and next Friday (hopefully those who manage to get their boxes ahead of time will be able to confirm).

janmaccazwan likes this.
  18. galone_es

I could not find any electronic address, link or form to contact the staff at McCartney's website in relation to
    technical problems with the download cards

19. Paulismyname

Does anyone know what was the last McCartney high resolution download handled by Topspin?

20. Paulismyname

They appear to not be active anymore. All links to their site go nowhere.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  21. janmaccazwan

janmaccazwan Forum Resident

Yes i bought The Red Rose Speedway this month and i have the same problem. I pay a lot of money and don't get it all.

DJ WILBUR, arnt and coffeetime like this.
  22. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Well-Known Member

Interesting. While I was frustrated, upon receiving the RAM set as a gift recently and being unable to redeem those downloads, I WAS able to redeem my Red Rose Speedway code. I'd bought that shortly after it came out a couple years ago and simply forgot about the code until I opened my new RAM set. (On a side note, I'm assuming there's no way to access whatever material/info was available through the 1-year website membership on these same redemption codes? Or even to know what there was to access, out of curiosity?)

janmaccazwan likes this.
  23. RKoloda

RKoloda Well-Known Member

I have had similar problems --had the deluxe sets bought years ago --but did not have reliable internet access or a friend who would do them --I have had no probnlem with widlife, flaming pie, flowers in the dirt --but red rose sp0eedwat gave ne a problem --I contacted ths address : [email protected]>and the RRS worked --the problem is I have other cards but cannot use them as they claim to be responsible only for 10 digit codes If i rembember Hear music has a physical address --i;ll check --might be possible to file a complaint with the FTC or the bbb.org --or teh attorney genera;'s office on consumer complaints. This is ridiculous as normally the download rights transfer,

DJ WILBUR and beetlesonique like this.
  24. beetlesonique

beetlesonique Forum Resident

After reading a comment on another thread on this matter over here:

Anyone else having trouble with the redeem button on McCartney's website?

I succeeded to get a valid download code via [email protected] for my Wings Over America Archive Boxset which I purchased last year new and sealed.

The funny thing is that I contacted them about a year ago shortly after I purchased the boxset, about the issue's with the downloads and then I got the reply that they could not help me because they only dealt with the downloads that were included with vinyl.

Something must have changed in the meantime because now, a year later and after inquiring again, they sent me a new code for the full set in 24/96 without hesitation!

25. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Funny, i just got a Red Rose Speedway set for a good price sealed and can’t make the download card work, so googled a question and it brought me to this discussion…..i tried the email above, lets see what happens….