Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have to say, I don’t always agree with the opinions here on sound quality or this release is better than that release etc, but you guys are SPOT ON about this one. The unofficial releases are essential to have, they’re premium sourced, have better dynamic range and most importantly, the Warehouse boot includes “All Over Again” of which I just heard for the very first time this week. I think this is quite possibly the finest live performance I’ve ever heard from Peter Green, his singing and playing is sublime! There’s really no excuse for leaving this track off the official release, a disservice to the fans.

I still purchased the official CD set as we all should to support the artists and some of the other tracks but it’s good to know that the unofficial versions are still out there for free if you know where to look, had it not been for you guys I wouldn’t have known and would have missed out on that killer track so THANK YOU!

For those who haven’t heard All Over Again:

Pali Gap, four sticks, DTK and 5 others like this.
  2. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have been listening to this set for a longer while and I have no problem with the Warehouse section (disc #2: 6-10 and disc #3: 1-8). Yeah, the mastering is not subtle and the audience applause got replaced, but the end result sounds convincing to me, even though it is a detour from the original source.

If I were to complain it'd be the Carousel section (disc #1 and disc #2: 1-5), where the heavy-handed mastering tries to conceal the average quality of original tapes. They could have handled it better indeed. However, as I am not crazy about the pre-Kirwan lineup I can live with it, especially that I do appreciate the box-book, full of quality photos.

Overall, I am quite pleased with this release.

And out of curiosity, are there any preserved recordings from the 1971 Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac reunion tour, with fully improvised sets played over six weeks?
    Danny Kirwan - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The main issue with the set is what’s NOT on there...All Over Again & It Takes Time from the Warehouse gig...arguably the best live performance from Peter Green.

4. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Agree... there's no excuse for trimming down the set-list, nonetheless I am really really digging this new release. Since I got used to the overengineered sound quality I can't stop listening to this release. And the book included in the box edition is a great read too, with some interesting observations on the contemporary blues-rock scene.

Unfortunately widely circulating Warehouse Tapes euroboots don't have the first number either (actually it's called "Got A Mind To Give Up Living"), so I'll have to dig deeper to add the missing tracks to my collection.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

"All Over Again" was the title BB King used, and that's where Peter picked it up.

6. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

There is a full SBD recording from the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino from that tour up on YouTube, and if you look it up on Google you’ll find a FLAC download of it. It’s a decent recording but the vocal interplay between Danny Kirwan and Christine McVie is really off which is too bad because otherwise this would’ve been a perfect show to listen to, oh well (pun intended).

footlooseman, albabe and jay.dee like this.
  7. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Also, I can’t comment on The Warehouse Tapes euro boot, but there is a free bootleg of the Warehouse gig I just discovered recently on the Internet Archive and also on YouTube, it’s appropriately titled “Dead Bust Blues” obviously referencing the Grateful Dead drug bust that happened after this gig, and it sounds a lot better than how it’s presented on Before the Beginning, and of course includes All Over Again and It Takes Time.

Fleetwood Mac - Dead Bust Blues (Remastered) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

That's the one right there

9. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

If I may interject, what are the best Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac live albums?

Some say the Boston 1970 3 disc, some like this Before The Beginning, some say the Transmission Impossible is better than that.

Please edjukate me on this, gimme your top 3, 4, 5 best PG FM live albums.

Cheers chips n fishies !!

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Boston Tea Party
    Shrine 69
    Live at The BBC

11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

You’ll be needing Dead Bust Blues boot too.

bbanderic likes this.
  12. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

Interesting Gig. Only Six tunes. The Monitors must have been pretty messed-up. Christine is so Flat... and she's never flat. but she's perfectly in Key in the "Breaks" without Instruments during "Get Like You Used To Be."

And her slow "I'd Rather Go Blind," besides it being really nice... she's in Key

The Instrumental passages are pretty amazing. Danny and Peter are so "On." Especially Danny in Station Man.

The weird thing to me is that they don't even do One (1) Green song. I wonder if he sings at all.

Is the show July 19, 1971? I've seen a few dates.

AND... Dead Bust Blues is awesome!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  13. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

Okeee... so my OCD/ADHD is obviously kicking-in here... and my glasses are giving me grief because of my "minor (so far) Cataracts... and my Optometrist is closed for the Pandemic Duration... so it's just a little hard for me to read forums these days. I can read 'em, but I have to read slow and it gives me a headache... sigh.

So...

CD 1, All 14 Tracks; and CD 2, Tracks 1-5, are all from the 1968, Carousel Ballroom in San Francisco (with added Applause?) The None-Applause, Unofficial Release version would be, "Fleetwood Mac - Carousel Ballroom 1968 (Soundboard)," June 9, 1968 plus another partial set from the same run of shows (June 7 or 8, 1968).

CD 2, Tracks 6-15; and CD 3, Tracks 1-8, are from the New Orleans Warehouse. The Unofficial Release being "Fleetwood Mac - Dead Bust Blues (Warehouse)(Complete Shows from 1-30-70 & 2-1-70).

CD 3, Tracks 9-12 (The Last 4 "Demo" Tracks) are not demos. They are BBC Sessions:
    You Need Love (Recorded: 27 Aug 1968, Broadcast: Top Gear, 13 Oct 1968)
    Talk With You (Recorded: 27 Aug 1968, Broadcast: Top Gear, 13 Oct 1968)
    If It Ain't Me (or That Ain't It) (Recorded: 27 May 1968, Broadcast: Top Gear, 2 Jun 1968)
    Mean Old World (Recorded: 26 Feb 1968, Broadcast: The Blues Roll On, 23 July 1968)

Do I have this correct?

Are the BBC tracks previously released "Officially?"

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes that's right. The 4 BBC tracks were previously unreleased officially, but have been circulating for years among fans - and that's likely where the producers sourced them, from a torrent or fan CD-r.

Matthew Tate and albabe like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Swing Auditorium is from February 19 1971 the first gig Peter played with the band. He had just gotten off the plane.
    Peter doesn't play any lead guitar on that gig; he tried to support rather than lead. However, there are two tapes in awful quality from later on in the tour when he leads the band in extended jams and improvises at length. Apparently he also started singing Black Magic Woman at the later gigs, but there's no tapes of that.
    Peter's initial condition for doing the tour was to only do improvs and none of the old hits.

AlmostHeavenWV and jay.dee like this.
  16. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

Thanx!

I had a bunch of Amazing PlayLists that I had amassed over the years. They started-out as Tapes I would make, mostly for my Old Office/Studio, and now they are m4a PlayLists for iTunes.

I love to listen to Chronological Lists, hearing how Musicians and Bands evolve... I had nice Chronological PlayLists (all with the best-sounding unofficial Releases Including Demos, Alts and Live), for Fleetwood Mac, Yardbirds, Beatles, Stones, Animals, Hendrix, Rockpile... and so many more. I was in a few Groups that shared (and corrected) those Lists, but they're all dead now and have been for years.

I'd love to share them with you folks, but I had a Computer Meltdown a few Years back and lost them all... so I'm (very) Slowly "Reacquiring" them.

I wonder if "We" could Post "Lists" like that in here (or somewhere)?

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - 'Before The Beginning Vol. 2' | Sony Music Legacy Recordings | UK | Official Website

Just saw this. It looks like Vol. 2 is coming out in August but only in vinyl and digital formats for now.

[​IMG]

That tracklisting in full:

VINYL 1 SIDE A
    Before the Beginning (Live) (Remastered)
    Only You (Live) (Remastered)
    Madison Blues (Version 2) (Live) (Remastered)
    Can’t Stop Lovin’ (Live) (Remastered)
    The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown) (Live) (Remastered)

VINYL 1 SIDE B
    Albatross (Live) (Remastered)
    World In Harmony (Version 1) (Live) (Remastered)
    Sandy Mary (Live) (Remastered)
    Only You (Live) (Remastered)
    World In Harmony (Version 2) (Live) (Remastered)

VINYL 2 SIDE A
    I Can’t Hold Out (Live) (Remastered)
    Oh Well (Part 1) (Live) (Remastered)
    Rattlesnake Shake (Live) (Remastered)

VINYL 2 SIDE B
    Underway (Live) (Remastered)
    Coming Your Way (Live) (Remastered)

VINYL 3 SIDE A
    Homework (Live) (Remastered)
    My Baby’s Sweet (Live) (Remastered)
    My Baby’s Gone (Live) (Remastered)
    You Need Love (Demo) (Remastered)

VINYL 3 SIDE B
    Talk With You (Demo) (Remastered)
    If It Ain’t Me (GK Edit) (Demo) (Remastered)
    Mean Old World (Demo) (Remastered)

Following on from last year’s collection of Fleetwood Mac rarities, we’re pleased to announce that Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac ‘Before The Beginning Vol. 2’ will be released on August 7th.

Taken from recently discovered, lovingly restored, live recordings from 1970, the release consists of a triple vinyl set and will also be available digitally.

footlooseman and mdekoning like this.
  18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Is that not the same as what’s already available since the end of last year. A cut and shut job of live at at the warehouse 1970, missing some of the best stuff. All Over Again & It Takes Time are two essential recordings they decided not to release.

four sticks and DTK like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

@Tuck1977 Not according to the blurb and the cover says Vol. 2

Now that I look at it I think they might have split the cd release into 2 vinyl releases. This would make Vol.2 the rest of tracks not included on vinyl release Vol 1.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Sure looks like the 2nd half of last year's set to me. I'm guessing this is mainly for those who want this on vinyl.

four sticks likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, on another note this vintage radio show from from the Cue Club, Gothenburg 1969 has now been released on Amazon.

[​IMG][​IMG]

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It is. It is the rest of the tracks omitted from the previous vinyl release. I figured it out after another look at the track listing.

23. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

This has been streamed by Wolfgang's for ages. Date & venue are incorrect. The combo of "Rattlesnake Shake" with "Underway" incorporated plus "World in Harmony" and esp. "Green Manalishi" (which is sadly missing here!) reveal this is a March/April 1970 European tour show. By that time, the band had become too big to play clubs; hence, this is rather from the Stockolm Konserthuset, April 2, 1970. ...IMHO, of course.
    BTW, there's a beautiful Guenther Kieser-designed poster for that show out there!

Mac ahoy!
    Th:)mas

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

The same company has also released this one.

Description
    Fleetwood Mac gradually evolved from a pure blues outfit into one of the country's most progressive acts. Their classic Then Play On album was released in September 1969, yielding the massive hit Oh Well. That month their busy schedule saw them making their third visit to Finland, where this blistering set was performed and broadcast on local radio. It finds them tearing through some of their best-known songs, as well as several they never recorded in the studio, and is presented here together with background notes and images.

Tracklist
    1. Homework
    2. Man Of The World
    3. Like It This Way
    4. Only You
    5. I Believe My Time Ain't Long
    6. Stranger Blues
    7. All Over Again (aka I've Got A Good Mind To Give Up Living)
    8. Oh Well
    9. Comin' Your Way
    10. Shake Your Money Maker
    11. Albatross
    12. Great Balls Of Fire
    13. Jenny, Jenny

25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Man Of The World. Nice!